Code of Conduct

Default Le Labo Rose = Le Labo Vetiver

What is the common synthetic (and imo disgusting smelling note) in these two scents?

I just sampled the Vetiver after having bought blind the Rose. Both were a huge disappointment.

Default Re: Le Labo Rose = Le Labo Vetiver

Anyone?

It's more than likely Cetalox®, an amber/ambergris aromachemical. I find it more prominent in Le Labo Rose 31, but it's there in Vetiver 46.

scentemental

Many thanks for you help.

I quite confused now as I like the smell of natural ambregris but very much dislike the Cetalox® smell in the Le Labo scents ....

Am I the only one that detests the Cetalox® note?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by newtrane View Post
    Many thanks for you help.

I quite confused now as I like the smell of natural ambregris but very much dislike the Cetalox® smell in the Le Labo scents ....

Am I the only one that detests the Cetalox® note?
    No, I detect it and I love it. It gives Rose 31 a nice depth and animalic intensity. I do not detect it as much in the Vetiver, but then I sampled that almost over a year ago and I don't really remember.

Remember newtrane: Even if you don't like Cetalox (if, in fact, that is the note you are not liking), the 'effect' of it in the Le Labo fragrances is being created not just by this note but also by the combination with all of the other notes. Another fragrance might contain it and your nose won't detect it at all. Or maybe in yet another fragrance, your nose might detect it but because of the way it's blended, your nose will like it. Perfumery is a complex art. Don't allow yourself to get too swayed by the notes that are contained in fragrances you don't like.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 21st August 2008 at 11:57 AM.

Wearing a sample of the Rose today, on arms, and neck and face. On the arms, I get a bit of rose, and now, after 3.5 hours, I smell spices coming through. Just a hint of cummin under a bed of rose. No woods though to my nose. This one wears close to the skin on me, kinda like how Acqua di Parma does, but it will have more longevity that the Colonia. If Ambergris is the same stuff that is in MI and GIT, then I dont get it in Rose 31.

You should throw your Rose 31 away via mailing it to me. I'll make sure I dispose of it properly!
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I'm really impressed with Rose 31. It's a different kind of rose scent for sure. It almost has a "new car" thing going on. Also, it has amazing longevity with remarkable sillage that has a real uplifting quality to it.

I think it smells a little like what I imagine Baldessarini smelling like if it were reinterpreted as a rose scent. They both seem to share something. I haven't smelled any of the other Le Labo scents-- I got my Rose 31 as a 1oz decant that a very generous Basenoter gifted me in exchange for some Creed samples I made him--I totally wasn't expecting it, and I still can't help feeling like I made out like a bandit.

I'm wondering now since I love Rose 31 what others from the line I might want to try. This is a line I need to explore.

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    You should throw your Rose 31 away via mailing it to me. I'll make sure I dispose of it properly!
    I second that. You can send the Vetiver to me.
    I already have Rose 31 and I love it.

I like Rose 31 a lot. On me, it does some sort of transition about 30 minutes after I put it on that always makes me want to pull the car over on the way to work and just relish it for a few minutes. Incredible.

I have Vetiver 46 as well, and it does something similar, but not as enjoyable.

I'm not enough of "nose" to pick out that similar note, but there is something slightly similar in the two.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 25th December 2009 at 09:47 PM.

Blog Entries

Yeah - I just got a sample of Rose 31 thanks to rogalal (), and OMG it's good. It is definitely one of the most enjoyable roses I've ever smelled. Very modern - masculine in a very sophisticated way, but not stiff or too formal. If Cetalox® is the non-rose part of this that is getting to me, then give me as much of it as you can fit in my suitcase, man. Awesome stuff.

I agree - at about a half hour, this stuff ROCKS!

Yeah...what is that that blooms a few minutes in?

Glad you repsonded here...I feel like a rookie. The new layout displays related threads and I didn't mean to wake up a year old thread.

I thought that the common link between Le Labo frags was Iso-E Super? I get it from Rose 31 and _lots_ of it from Vetiver 46. In fact, to my nose it dominates the vetiver which is why I ended up not getting a decant. Luckily, the rose and cumin dominate it in Rose 31 which I think is a great fragrance.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

I notice with both V 46 and R 31, they go on pretty quietly and then EXPLODE in a half hour.

Is that the ISO E Super effect. Always freaks me out- in a good way.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 26th December 2009 at 04:45 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Yeah - I just got a sample of Rose 31 thanks to rogalal (), and OMG it's good. It is definitely one of the most enjoyable roses I've ever smelled. Very modern - masculine in a very sophisticated way, but not stiff or too formal. If Cetalox® is the non-rose part of this that is getting to me, then give me as much of it as you can fit in my suitcase, man. Awesome stuff.

I agree - at about a half hour, this stuff ROCKS!
    Someone just gifted me a decant of this - as I'd not had it in my wardrobe all this year. I'm looking forward, to giving it some more skin time in the next couple months. I truly missed it.