Code of Conduct

Default fragrence familys

I understand from reading on basenoes that there are 5 different fragrence families: fougere, chypre, citrus, oriental and marine. Can someone please give me some examples of mainstreem, buy in your local store examples of these by catetgoy to help me decide which I prefer as I am trying to narrow down the type of frags to focus on in my search? If there is a sticky for this I haven't been able to locate it.

Thank you in advance,

yoda

Default fragrance family

I understand from reading on basenoes that there are 5 different fragrence families: fougere, chypre, citrus, oriental and marine. Can someone please give me some examples of mainstreem, buy in your local store examples of these by catetgoy to help me decide which I prefer as I am trying to narrow down the type of frags to focus on in my search? If there is a sticky for this I haven't been able to locate it.

Thank you in advance,

yoda

Off-Scenter

Default Re: fragrence familys

Actually, your list leaves out what's probably the largest scent family of all: the florals! Other families worth mentioning are the woody scents and the leather scents. There are in fact many different scent family classifications floating around out there, with various layers of subdivisions (i.e. green chypres, woody orientals...) layered within them. But for general purposes I'd say your list, with the addition of floral, woods, and leather, covers teh bases pretty well.

As for some representative scents:

Fougere: Azzaro, Cool Water, Diesel Fuel for Life, Kouros, Tuscany, Narciso Rodriguez for Him.

Chypre: Mitsouko, Givenchy III, Chanel pour Monsieur.

Citrus: Eau Sauvage, Eau d'Hadrien, Acqua di Parma Colonia, Eau d'Orange Verte.

Oriental: A*Men, Habit Rouge, Jaipur Homme, Le Male, Egoiste, The Dreamer.

Marine: Acqua di Gio, D&G Light Blue, Kenzo pour Homme, L'Eau d'Issey.

Floral: Insense, Caron Pour un Homme, Comme des Garcons Series 2 Red: Carnation.

Woody: Grey Flannel, Fahrenheit, Givenchy Gentleman, Guerlain Vetiver.

Leather: Declaration, Bulgaru Black, Aramis, Antaeus, Rocabar, Polo.

Others will have dissenting opinions as to which family some of these belong in - that's life at Basenotes! :bounce:

Have fun testing!

Default Re: fragrance family

Fougere - Cool Water (aromatic fougere)
    Chypre - Mitsouko
    Citrus - ck One
    Oriental - Obsession for Men
    Marine: - Dune (one of the first modern oceanic fragrances)

Off-Scenter

Exclamation Re: fragrance family

You will find a detailed response to your question onthe identical thread you posted on the "Just Starting Out" board.

As a friendly warning, you'll want to avoid posting identical threads on multiple Basenotes boards. It's liable to aggravate other members and it may get you flamed.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 19th August 2008 at 08:41 PM.

Default Re: fragrence familys

Vibrent,

thanks for taking the time. This gives me just what I am looking for to help get started.

Yoda

Thank you and pardon my ignorance.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I merged the two for exactly the reason Vibert points out. There's more traction here, so I left it here of course.

Thank you Vibert, and thanks for understanding Yoda.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.