Code of Conduct

Thread: Aziyade

Default Aziyade

What do you guys think of this?

Got a sample of it. On paper it sounded neat. "pomegranate, crystallized date, almond, orange and prune, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, Egyptian cumin, carob, frankincense, vanilla, Madagascar vanilla absolute, patchouli, musk, cistus"

However I find that this is a stinker. YUCK. I can smell each of the fruits listed, but I think luckyscent forgot to mention that they are rotted fruits! Not just that but they don't sit well together for me. Maybe it's the prune. I hate prunes. That plus cardamom ginger and cumin I am getting a huge blast of underneath, really tickles my nose the wrong way. I am also smelling something like vodka at the base.

Somebody tell me I am not crazy.

Default Re: Aziyade

Scents are usually more than the value of their notes but those listed for this one seem wacky to me.
    All those edibles and add the animalics. BTW, does anyone find the smell of prunes appealing?
    I still need to sample it. :-)
    Thanks for the review genvy5!

I bought a large bottle and I love it. The cinnamon note blends well with the different fruit notes giving it a unique smell. No regrets here.

Guys, any similarities to SL Arabie?

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Guys, any similarities to SL Arabie?
    Not really. Arabie is a more subdued, less spicy gourmand. (I own it, and wear it often.) Aziyadé is a stronger gourmand, with really prominent Cardamom, Cumin, etc. I tried it recently at The Scent Bar, and I love it. I will be buying a 50ml bottle soon. However, keep in mind that I am also an Indian food fanatic, so Aziyadé is right up my alley. I would say the best offerings from Parfum d'Empire are currently Cuir Ottoman, Fougère Bengale, and Aziyadé. I would also say the best Serge Lutens offering I have tried is Arabie, with the necessary proviso that I have not yet tried Muscs Koublaï Khän.
    Last edited by Astaroth; 28th September 2008 at 11:47 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Anyone else smell this one? From what I read about it, it seemed like Arabie Light to me, but Astaroth mentions above this one is even sweeter than Arabie. Sounds positively toothsome.

I like the smell of Indian spices and I like Arabie, but this might break thru my spice threshold.

I didn't find it TOO similar Arabie(which is a scent I enjoy). It is much spicier as Astaroth said, but not spicy in a way that I am familiar with / enjoy.

Mike, I just wore a sample of this today and, although it initially came across as an Arabie-lite, it later smelt very similar to Andy Tauer’s Incense Rose.

I have to admit that this house frustrates me - always full of promise but never managing to deliver...

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Mike, I just wore a sample of this today and, although it initially came across as an Arabie-lite, it later smelt very similar to Andy Tauer’s Incense Rose.

I have to admit that this house frustrates me - always full of promise but never managing to deliver...
    Thanks Trebor.

Incense Rose I have bent over backwards to like, and up to the very last drop I cringed a little inside each time I sampled it. Just didn't make me feel comfortable wearing it.

But if you're getting an Arabie-light vibe from it, then I think I'm gonna try it anyway. Maybe it won't turn into that decomposed red wine accord that IR does.

Does anyone think this smells like Rochas Femme (Roudnitska's spice/skank classic)?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 28th September 2008 at 09:50 PM.

Mike, although the Arabie-lite vibe was quite brief, I do hope it pushes the right buttons that Incense Rose was incapable of doing. I'd love to hear your opinion on Aziyade after sampling it.

Basenotes Institution

Bumping this thread...

I'm wearing this from a sample today (thanks sloan_8013) and wow...a little dab'll do ya.

This wears like Jubilation XXV by Amouage, but with much more of a smoky character than a incense vibe. It is amazing how much sillage and diffusion I got from 2 tiny sprays. Almost too much. It has incredible sharpness to it, that I am thinking might be Iso-E Super (or aldehydes) and it gives me a tiny headache, but I'm not sure if that's because I layered it over top of my morning SOTD.

I do smell the prune note and the whole candied/fruit part of it. But you will have to love that decomposed fruit note to wear Aziyade comfortably. Fans of Black Orchid by Tom Ford, might like to try this one.

In addition, to my nose, this fragrance doesn't smell as exotic as Arabie and/or Jubilation XXV. It smells classy, luxurious but it doesn't transport me to another culture and place.

Anyone else sample this one recently?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 24th November 2009 at 10:04 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Hillaire

This is one of my new faves. It's nothing like Arabie, but I agree it has bits in common with Fougere Bengale, but find it most like
    Ca' Luna from Acqua di Bella.
    It's a cumin-coming-through-holiday-spices smell for me. And I find it wonderful!
    Last edited by Hillaire; 26th November 2009 at 02:50 AM.

I just swapped away my large decant of Aziyade that I've had for a good 6ish months.

I didn't find it too similar to Arabie either, but they both do belong to the same family. The whole candy-spice-decomposing fruit got a little too much for my senses but i'll say -- in smaller doses, Aziyade is brilliant! Particularly so in a hot and humid weather like mine

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    I just swapped away my large decant of Aziyade that I've had for a good 6ish months.

I didn't find it too similar to Arabie either, but they both do belong to the same family. The whole candy-spice-decomposing fruit got a little too much for my senses but i'll say -- in smaller doses, Aziyade is brilliant! Particularly so in a hot and humid weather like mine
    I'd never thought about wearing it in Summer (I was scared to). Maybe I'll hold onto my sample and try that again when it's warm.

Yes, this (like Jubilation XXV, Black Orchid, etc) definitely has a time and place - and us fragrance enthusiasts who have wardrobes chock full of fragrances all of the time, probably miss more of these 'windows of opportunity' than we realize.

In fact, when I wore Aziyade the last time, I thought to myself: Why don't more Basenoters talk about this scent? Probably because everyone talks about Jubilation XXV more. And yet, the Parfums D'Empire scent is much cheaper...but sometimes price isn't always a deciding factor.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 28th November 2009 at 07:32 PM.

-- Jack Kerouac

I wore a sample of Aziyade today. I applied a little bit before working out (I have a small sample). It smells delicious, very Christmasy, not too strong (but then again I applied just a couple of drops)

I re-applied after showering and the cumin was front and center. It was so strong that I thought I had confused the sample of Aziyade with Yuzu Fou, which I really did not like. After a while the cumin calmed down, which allowed me to smell the rest of the fragrance.

Then I applied Arabie for comparison. Yes, both have the dry fruit smell (dates, perhaps plums), but Arabie also smells like inmortelle. The only perfume with inmortelle that I don't object to is Eau Noire. Although I found similarities, I liked Aziyade better. It is also lighter. while Arabie seems very dense.
    Evenstar

Bumping once more...

I am wearing this right now from a sample and I'm astouned.
    The first thing that hit me was the dirtiest, most armpit-like musky vibe I smelled since MKK. I went back to the site of thedifferentscent and was more than suprised seeing that they dont even list musk as a note. It's listed as a factor here on the directory but that cant have been a little musk in the base shining through so I guess I finally found out the dirty character of cumin, some have mentioned here a while back.

This being said I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far.I'm generally not a fan of too heavy and right-in-your-face-indian-spicy-store smells but the amount is artistically balanced with dried fruits, sweetness and what I would call the self assured way not to care what people think about it. I mean it in a positive way, the same way I would daresay extrovert artist dont really care what people think.
    And that aspect makes it great, unique, well, niche.
    Very, very nice indeed!

PS: after sniffing my hand for 5 minutes in a row now (exaggerated) I think I get the difference to musk, but hell yeah, its dirty too

Forgot to mention, while I love this, I'm not too keen on Arabie, I think this one just serves me better. Great because I have been looking for a gem in this genre for ages.
    Last edited by timaru; 11th February 2010 at 08:02 PM.

I was just inspired to bust out my old sample of Aziyade. I love it now. Go figure.

I read Aziyade is a copy of Dinner by Bobo from a few reviewers. I haven't tried either, but I know Arabie wasn't for me.

There are so many from this line I need to get around to: Azemour, 3 Fleurs, and this one especially pique my interest.

Intriguing to read your reviews!

This is a fabulous gourmand fragrance from Parfum d'Empire. It's slightly boozy with sweet fruit and spices, a bit of incense and topped with vanilla. I loved this straight out of the gate and still find it appealing today.
    - Expect the unexpected

Incense + fruit + spices = sounds a lot like the same house's Wazamba ( which I have tried, but like less than a couple similar Lutens' ). Could someone who's experienced both describe their differences?

I have sampled both side by side and I really don't care for Wazamba. The main difference is the heavy handed incense, sandalwood and labdanum recipe. Aziyade has a suggestion of incense, a dose of sweet fruit and spices sitting on a vanilla, patchouli and musk base.
    - Expect the unexpected

I think that entire line stinks. By the descriptions I really wanted to like them but alas, it was not meant to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Incense + fruit + spices = sounds a lot like the same house's Wazamba ( which I have tried, but like less than a couple similar Lutens' ). Could someone who's experienced both describe their differences?
    It's more like Idole de Lubin than Wazamba. Think a coca-cola smell. Syrupy fruits over mild spices. The problem with Aziyade in my opinion is that it doesn't know what it wants to be. It has the fruits and spices and all matter of things that suggest decadence, but is rendered in a lighter tone that is at odds with the notes. Either be decadent or not. Aziyade, the olfactory equivalent of cheesecake made with splenda.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Basenotes Institution

Wore the last of my sample last night, there was about 1 ml left so I doused myself with all of it and let it do it's stuff - wow, I finally got the prune note last night, the same one that I smelled in Boxeuses by Serge Lutens (which I do not like), and it has a slight feminine/fruity whiff of it, but in this one its clobbered by all of the other spices/fruits/syrups/woods and there is that skanky element to it that recalls the deep dark underside of Black Orchid by Tom Ford and L' Autre by Diptyque. It's a whole LOT of stuff and it's easy for me to fall in love with a spicy oriental like this, but in execution and in wearing it all night it hung heavy on me like a thick cable-knit wool sweater. I felt a bit stifled by it and I won't ever be over applying it again.

Go lightly with this one everyone and expect lots of heavy spices and fruit and you'll be entertained.

-- Jack Kerouac

It's my favourite Pd'E. Somehow I find it to be the refreshing sibling of Wazamba, which is also African spicy, but much drier... Hmmm, that cola smell...

Blog Entries

Azyade is cumin intensive, so if you don't like cumin Azyade is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by LloydLlewellyn View Post
    It's my favourite Pd'E. Somehow I find it to be the refreshing sibling of Wazamba, which is also African spicy, but much drier... Hmmm, that cola smell...
    + 1