Code of Conduct

Default Can't see the forest through the trees: What is my wardrobe 'missing'?

I used to have a wardrobe of about 70 bottles, right now I am trying to keep it trim and peak at 25. The problem I am encountering is that as I rebuild my collection, I find myself questioning my desire to rebuy certain fragrances. I know you can never consider a fragrance to be 'vital' to a collection, but based upon the constraints of a 25 bottle collection, what would you gentleman consider to be 'vital' additions?

Niche or mainstream doesn't matter, with a 25 bottle limit I can justify spending more money on one good bottle.

I will take every consideration into account!

I pre-emptively apologize if anyone considers threads of this nature overdone, I just enjoy hearing everyone's take on what they consider vital to a bare bones wardrobe. I'm not going to cause confirmation bias by listing my tastes or what I'm currently leaning towards.

If age and profession matter, I am about to turn 26. I work in a pharmacy and I am going back to graduate school next year to finish off my doctorate of pharmacy so I will be able to run the store by my house when I graduate. I spend most of my time either at work or next year at school, so I probably won't need too many clubbing/bar scents lol. And my job does require a shirt and tie at all times.

Default Re: Can't see the forest through the trees: What is my wardrobe 'missing'?

After a look over your wardrobe I'll suggest the following. I won't suggest specific frags, but categories.

All of your scents are recent releases. How about some classic additions to your 'drobe? Your collection leans towards the lighter, contemporary style, but you do have a few Orientals and a Gourmand.

You're lacking a classic citrus. And how about a vetiver? You could go with another fougere, perhaps in the more traditional style.

While I emphasize older, more classic scents, you could just as easily go with more modern versions of citrus, vetiver, and fougere.

For heavier scents you could look towards those with lots of woody notes. If you're inclined, check out the '80s scents for strong, complex fragrances. If not, then perhaps one of the niche offerings might suit you better.

Good luck!

noggs
    Last edited by noggs; 20th August 2008 at 03:52 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Can't see the forest through the trees: What is my wardrobe 'missing'?

Yeah it's a bit hard to tell out of your 70 if there's only 14 visible in your wardrobe.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Well, I had 70, then joined the army and came back with 0. I'm currently at 14.

The reason I lack a classic citrus is my skin destroys citrus. Terre is the shocking exception, although I do want to give Eau Savage a shot.

I'm thinkng of getting Antaeus for a powerhouse!

Basenotes Institution

You need a serious leather scent in your wardrobe.

Antaeus might be it. Also try Knize Ten or perhaps Bel Ami by Hermes.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 20th August 2008 at 08:08 PM.

You seem to like modern, lighter fragrances - esp. Bvlgari!
    My suggestions, since you are young, you shouldn't be walking around in 80's power scents, people would think you are from some back water:

Timbuktu by L'Artisan
    Commes des Garcons 3

I agree with Noggs re: fougere and vetiver. Modern versions that I like very much are Narciso Rodriguez for Him (fougere) and Lalique Encre Noir (vetiver). Since you already own a Lalique, you'll probably have no problem finding Encre Noir. Both are easily wearable by someone your age.

For leather, I like Mike's suggestion of Antaeus or Knize Ten. Just don't expect to wear them to school. You could also try a fragrance heavy on rose, such as C&S 88, LeLabo Rose 31, or Ungaro II. I just got a sample of the latter a couple of weeks ago, and I love it! Like Egoiste and Pour Monsieur rolled into one.

Of course, there's the Swiss Army Knife of male fragrance - Green Irish Tweed, but you already have aquatics in your arsenal.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 20th August 2008 at 08:44 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    My suggestions, since you are young, you shouldn't be walking around in 80's power scents, people would think you are from some back water
    LOL

Blog Entries

i echo Mike Perez about a serious leather scent....

Knize Ten OR Helmut Lang Cuiron will do!

I havenīt tried all of the scents in your wardrobe, but I donīt think there are any incense based fragrances. So, recommendations:
    any from Comme des Garcon Incense Series and Hinoki, Encens Flamboyant by Annick Goutal, Rock Crystal by Oliver Durbano.

And for special occasions, why not try a scent made for women but wearable by men? Jicky (ok - this was created for men...), Mitsouko and Shalimar by Guerlain. Poivre, Tabac Blond and Alpona by Caron. Those are all quite old classics and I love them all.
    Last edited by pelle; 20th August 2008 at 09:22 PM.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Thanks for all the help so far guys!

Regarding Knize 10, I have to give it another shot. I owned a bottle when I was much younger and with a less adventurous nose, only wore it one time but I at least I got a fun story out of it. I orderd a bottle and talked to my then girlfriend at the time about how old it was and how James Dean wore it and we were both super excited to smell it. I somehow managed to ignore/overlook the warnings about the opening.

Bottle comes, girl brings it in. I excitedly tear off my t-shirt and expose my hairy chest in a display of bravado, letting Knize 10 know that I was indeed ready for it. Sometimes you gotta show a fragrance who's boss you know? I can't even go into the ritual appropriate for donning Kouros or god forbid MKK, let's just say that for MKK the appropriate steps involve wearing a loincloth, having some sort of bladed weapon handy, oil, and recitation of lines including "What is best in life? To drive your enemies before you, to crush them by the sword, and to hear the lament of the women"

Two full blasts from the bottle and oh god the discordant opening punches both of us in the face. I'm standing there, frozen, bottle in hand, a complete look of shock on my face. I think a small part of my brain was actually expecting my skin to start burning.

My girl, a petite, normally demure curly haired brunette sweetheart, looks me dead in the eyes and says....

"You have got to be f***ing kidding me"

I never wore it again, I think had I done so the relationship would have ended even sooner.

I would however like to give it another go now that I'm a little older. More specifically I would like to investigate Knize 10 golden, if I can find it.

Pelle: I actually just ordered a decant of Tabac Blonde pure parfum, I have a feeling my girl and I will be fighting over it soon. I really want to try the CdG Incense Line, but I have an odd relationship with that house. I am so glad it exists, it's one of the most innovative and gutsy houses out there but I've never found any of their fragrances wearable on my skin. Granted my experience was limited to 2,3, 2 Man, and Odeur 53.

I find GIT the most frustrating fragrance because I want to appreciate this masterpiece as others do but to me, it's Cool Water for grown ups. I just don't get it, and I feel shame admitting that.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by shalashaska View Post
    Two full blasts from the bottle and oh god the discordant opening punches both of us in the face. I'm standing there, frozen, bottle in hand, a complete look of shock on my face. I think a small part of my brain was actually expecting my skin to start burning.

My girl, a petite, normally demure curly haired brunette sweetheart, looks me dead in the eyes and says....

"You have got to be f***ing kidding me"

I never wore it again, I think had I done so the relationship would have ended even sooner.

I would however like to give it another go now that I'm a little older. More specifically I would like to investigate Knize 10 golden, if I can find it.

Pelle: I actually just ordered a decant of Tabac Blonde pure parfum, I have a feeling my girl and I will be fighting over it soon. I really want to try the CdG Incense Line, but I have an odd relationship with that house. I am so glad it exists, it's one of the most innovative and gutsy houses out there but I've never found any of their fragrances wearable on my skin. Granted my experience was limited to 2,3, 2 Man, and Odeur 53.

I find GIT the most frustrating fragrance because I want to appreciate this masterpiece as others do but to me, it's Cool Water for grown ups. I just don't get it, and I feel shame admitting that.
    I personally don't wear Knize Ten, it's too much for me also. There are a ton of other leather scents to try. Stick around here on Basenotes, or do a Search in the forum for threads with the word, 'leather' in the title and you will have a lot of suggestions. Let me also say that there are a lot of serious leather fragrances, that don't necessarily cost a lot. Which is why I suggested this category.

Tabac Blond parfum is great - apply it lightly when you test it. Remember this is a leather chypre. Not just a leather scent. You're gonna a strong blast of tobacco, castoreum and other notes in addition to the leather. However, TB (even if what you're smelling now, is the reformulated version) is fantastic.

Please do try the CdG incense series. They are some of the best fragrances in the CdG line.

Don't worry - you're not the only one who hates GIT. Me too.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 21st August 2008 at 12:55 PM.

"What is best in life? To drive your enemies before you, to crush them by the sword, and to hear the lament of the women"
    What is best in life - "The open step, the freed horse, falcons at your wrist and the wind in your hair" - WRONG !!!!

Conan what is best in life?

"To Crush Enemies, to see them driven before you and to hear the lamentation of the women."

Thanks for all the help so far guys!

You should not feel shame but feel proud that your nose will never lie to you. Fragrances are like music, not to everyone's taste but some are universally appreciated and some are just crap

Many people (myself included) have no idea why the rabid Creed and GIT hype. Do a search on GIT vs Coolwater on the boards and you will have more info then you could ever want (some people say they even prefer Coolwater over GIT).

I have written off Creed and GIT to marketing propaganda brainwashing the masses and have been told numerous times when wearing GIT that it is a "a soso fragrance" that is safe and unassuming. This type of fragrance IMO does not deserve the hype or accolades heaped onto it's puny unworthy shoulders.

And most importantly keep smelling great and have fun