Code of Conduct

Default Funniest Quote from a Review

Sorry but everyday I try to get my knowledge up about some of the scents or just want to look at the ones I'm looking at and I come across something that strikes me as funny in a review or one is just comical

Today I was reading one and this quote struck me as funny from Cookesoul

"I don't own a ton of fragrances but I do have several (50-60) and this one is nothing like any of the rest of them."

So I own like 5. Does that mean I own none really?

Good stuff
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Default Re: Funniest Quote from a Review

"A lot" and "several" are subjective categories and depend on the observer's perspective. There was a joke among Soviet Army officers during tensions on the border with China: "A quote from the People's Liberation Army field tactics manual - Infiltrate enemy's territory under the cover of darkness and in small groops of no more than 2-3 million men".
    Last edited by Igor01; 1st August 2008 at 08:08 PM.

Any review relating MKK to "man ass" is hysterical... it makes me wonder whether or not the people that make such comments have even smelt the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    Any review relating MKK to "man ass" is hysterical... it makes me wonder whether or not the people that make such comments have even smelt the stuff.
    my freind here on BN who has sampled it says, the opening notes doesnt smell like a mans ass...but unwiped ass and he cant be wrong, he has got a pretty good nose.

Quote Originally Posted by Igor01 View Post
    "A quote from the People's Liberation Army field tactics manual - Infiltrate enemy's territory under the cover of darkness and in small groops of no more than 2-3 million men".
    ROFL!! this has to be the funniest statement i read in a long time )

Of course what is worse, man ass or this under Gucci

"The better description I find for this one is that it smells like unwashed "penis" head (I can only compare with mine though..)."

"As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

The funniest reviews are those who write a three to four paragraphs... on something you'd only smell for a second.... and it's about the stranger on the bus not the fragrance.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    Of course what is worse, man ass or this under Gucci

"The better description I find for this one is that it smells like unwashed "penis" head (I can only compare with mine though..)."

Do we really have to read about smegma? The penis rears its ugly head yet once more on Basenotes!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

This is my favorite:

L'Eau Bleue D'Issey pour Homme (2004) by Issey Miyake

This one...if you want a head turner fragrance, this is it...people will turn their head wondering why you smell so bad...

I recently quoted that phrase in a thread from a review of MKK as a funny way of expressing that lurking civet type note in the midst of what is otherwise a not-as-over-the-top fragrance as you might think. I don't remember where I saw that phrase... here or Make-up Alley, as I mentioned in the little blurb I wrote about it I remember writing it just as a response to so many of my favorite and trusted bloggers hyping it as such a dirty smell and me not finding it so dirty...
    Last edited by nthny; 1st August 2008 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    my freind here on BN who has sampled it says, the opening notes doesnt smell like a mans ass...but unwiped ass and he cant be wrong, he has got a pretty good nose.
    Even people with good noses can be wrong. .. but that is neither here nor there. The real question is how do people come to discover these corrolations?

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Even people with good noses can be wrong. .. but that is neither here nor there. The real question is how do people come to discover these corrolations?

Are these the famous 'brown-nosers' one often hears mention of?
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    Do we really have to read about smegma? The penis rears its ugly head yet once more on Basenotes!
    It was a review..I didn't do the association..lol
    --Ben Hogan

Indeed, there are a lot of enjoyable reviews!
    Last edited by atrac; 2nd August 2008 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aeromatic View Post
    This is my favorite:

This one...if you want a head turner fragrance, this is it...people will turn their head wondering why you smell so bad...
    It may be funny, but it's also highly inaccurate - most people won't be wondering why the wearer smells so bad.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    I had nothing to do with it this time, Jaime, I swear!

Quote Originally Posted by Igor01 View Post
    "A lot" and "several" are subjective categories and depend on the observer's perspective. There was a joke among Soviet Army officers during tensions on the border with China: "A quote from the People's Liberation Army field tactics manual - Infiltrate enemy's territory under the cover of darkness and in small groops of no more than 2-3 million men".
    This is the funniest thing I have read in a long time. Made my day

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. Rex, Esq. View Post
    I had nothing to do with it this time, Jaime, I swear!
    Well, T. Rex, you know, that remark was really rather tongue in... cheek? Smegma... "The penis rears its ugly head..." Get it?
    Last edited by JaimeB; 2nd August 2008 at 11:14 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Dzing! - "Smells like my Doctors surgery waiting room. I do not rate this very highly."

My favorite: First time I was laughing. Still smile when I come by it in the reviews. Witty.

"Love the top notes but everything else fades away into oblivion. I feel like I'm wearing the scent equivalent of a date who doesn't call you the next morning or ever again."
    03 July 2008

"I stop wearing it because too many people wears it and I like to be different.I give it thumbs up becaus it does smell good has a fresh scent .besides when I did wear it I got countless comments..now my sons wears it to school.I bet their teachers be sayin "man these boys smell good" and they're in the 3rd and 2nd grade."

I think his whole damn review is so funny. One of the earlier reviews of Givenchy Blue Label.

The first time I tried Gucci pour Homme on my wrist, I actually got the penis association. Then again, maybe my 'unit' its just a cedary, leathery, peppery olfactory masterpeice!
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

From a review of Oud Wood by Tom Ford.

"I also enjoy women experimenting with mens scents as well. It is not like you are gonna grow a penis, right? Well, in terms of Oud Wood, you actually might."
    Last edited by surreality; 6th August 2008 at 01:43 AM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

OS Signature is as much to Old Spice as Lucky Charms is to authentic Irish cuisine.

I don't know why, but this really cracks me up...

"it remarkably smells like watered down Old Spice with butter thrown into the pot."

- describing helmut lang

I thought i had a lot with ten.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman1 View Post
    My favorite: First time I was laughing. Still smile when I come by it in the reviews. Witty.

"Love the top notes but everything else fades away into oblivion. I feel like I'm wearing the scent equivalent of a date who doesn't call you the next morning or ever again."
    03 July 2008
    That's my review of Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse by Creed.

I don't know why, but this really cracks me up...

"it remarkably smells like watered down Old Spice with butter thrown into the pot."

- describing helmut lang
    And mine again for Helmut Lang Cologne.

I hope these are compliments!

Smile Re: Funniest Quote from a Review

Quote Originally Posted by Blowe46 View Post
    I thought i had a lot with ten.

You will look back on this.. in a years time.. and have a good chuckle to yourself!

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

OS Signature is as much to Old Spice as Lucky Charms is to authentic Irish cuisine.
    Thank you, thank you!

This is my favorite:

That gave me the best laugh in a week. Thank you, and thank you for whoever wrote this.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    It may be funny, but it's also highly inaccurate - most people won't be wondering why the wearer smells so bad.
    Renato
    Of course, but I found that to be a very smart way of saying he hates the fragrance.
    Last edited by Mostapha; 19th August 2008 at 07:37 PM.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

I've enjoyed many of naed_nitram's reviews, though the Carlo Corinto one is funny and quite accurate:

I believe that this complex and interesting scent was one of the few perfumes that the reclusive dandy Jean Floressas Duc des Esseintes took with him when he chose to retire from the world to his house at Fontenay on the outskirts of Paris.
    His reasons for this choice were noted in his diary: "Since Carlo Corinto contains echoes of so many other scents, perambulating from the sublime and serene to the grotesque and ridiculous, it is obviously more economical, in an aesthetic rather than a merely commercial sense, to encapsulate all these variegated odours and atmospheres within a single perfume...

Very distinctive and not in a good way at all. It stings the eyes and snot begins to run from your nose on application. Very potent stuff! This is the stuff chemical weapons are made from! It's got to be!

L'Air du Temps (1948) by Nina Ricci

"this is the smell I imagine permeating from a dying, homeless donkey after he fell asleep in a Hershey Factory......Poor Donkey."

A*Men review
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Naed_Nitram's review of the Dreamer makes me snicker:

One of the briefest but most memorable lectures that the Baron de Charlus delivered to the Society of Perfumes in Paris concerned the much praised Versace Dreamer. 'Non!' he thundered,raising his hands dramatically to the heavens. 'Non!' he declared again, this time with his voice ascending to a falsetto shriek. 'And again, non!' he announced a third time, his voice descending to a barely audible growl. 'Messieurs and mesdames, abjure this vile synthetic concoction!'

Yes, I really like that Dreamer review too, but it's not quite accurate, because the Dreamer drydown is decent. I can picture some perfume expert pulling his hair out of his head over Dreamer, though. That imagery is hilarious.

I loved Tania Sanchez's 'lolcat' meta-joke review of cK IN2U His:

I'M IN UR BOTTLE, BORIN UR GF

I LOLed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mostapha View Post
    Of course, but I found that to be a very smart way of saying he hates the fragrance.
    I don't think it's smart.

One does not need to make factually incorrect and false statements in order to express one's perceptions. One's own perceptions will suffice - why be less than truthful when truthfullness will suffice?
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 20th August 2008 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by andylama View Post
    I LOLed.
    I agree wholeheartedly -- this has to have been one of the funniest reviews I've yet seen!

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by andylama View Post

I LOLed.
    Pure GOLD

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather