Code of Conduct

Default Herrera for Men--Refreshing ginger

I have an almost irrational dislike of 'spin off' fragrances. For some reason the concept of taking an original and tweaking it slightly to justify getting people to spring for another full bottle annoys the crap out of me, especially when one fragrance is re-released multiple times with minor tweaks. 212 Man, I'm looking right at you. Your name is legion, for you are many.

So I do appreciate the irony in my decision to buy a spin off of a fragrance from the same company who produced the legion that spawned my ire. The reason is it came as part of a pack on beautyencounter, Sensual Vetiver and Refreshing Ginger. I smelled the original Herrera on a friend in school a few years ago, it was his signature scent. The fact that we were in the same class and had the same name sort of discouraged me from buying the original despite my enjoyment of it on him lol.

On to the actual review. The thing I like best about the fragrance is the ginger note itself, which is strange because Bulgaris Blu really didn't do it for me. I think my the reason is the sharp wet bite of the ginger serves as a nice counterbalance to the formula of the orginal, and thus increases it's wearability in the hotter months. I wouldn't consider this a true summer fragrance, but with a lighter application it has served me quite well as long as termps stay below 90, after that it does get a little cloying. The ginger note remains apparent well into the drydown on my skin, blending nicely with the tobacco, musk and amber. The longevity and sillage on me is insane, one full spray to my chest remains detectable a minimum of 12 hours later, often longer. I would be hesitant to use two sprays except during the coldest months, for an EDT the strength is almost *too* powerful and you could clear a room rather easily.

I don't think it's appropriate for work, a bit too rich and casual. Works well for romantic settings and all but the most formal of diners though. Not very unique, the drydownn minus the ginger is one you've smelled many times before, so unless you're a huge fan of ginger or the original, sample before you buy.

Default Re: Herrera for Men--Refreshing ginger

I bought bottles of Refreshing Ginger and Sensual Vetiver a few months ago. I have mixed emotions on both of them. I like the vetiver and the ginger in each respective fragrance, but overall, there's something kind of funky about both of these that makes me not want to wear them. They're both strike me a little "foody"--like eating a lot of spicy food and then sweating it out the pores. My brother said he borrowed the Sensual Vetiver for a night out and regretted it. After leaving the house, he didn't like it at all.

The thing that bugs me about Refreshing Ginger is that "stale" note that it has. 212 Men has the same kind of offputting note. Like "pee pants" as a kid would say-- but not exactly urine in the vein of Kouros. Maybe the smell of a bowl of stale Rold Gold Pretzels sitting on the bar in a dingy beer soaked dive. Maybe it's a smell like chicken bullion. Perhaps it's just me, but I haven't found the chance to really wear these two because they confuse me.

Default Re: Herrera for Men--Refreshing ginger

Quote Originally Posted by shalashaska View Post
    I have an almost irrational dislike of 'spin off' fragrances. For some reason the concept of taking an original and tweaking it slightly to justify getting people to spring for another full bottle annoys the crap out of me, especially when one fragrance is re-released multiple times with minor tweaks. 212 Man, I'm looking right at you.
    I completely agree, I've lost count of how many versions does it really have. I haven't sampled Herrera for Men but I do own the original 212 Men and I think it's a decent office frag.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather