Code of Conduct

Default Which is the "manliest" version of Jicky?

Which concentration would you say is the manliest version of Jicky?

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Which is the "manliest" version of Jicky?

The Jicky pure parfum was originally designed in 1889 as a men's fragrance. If you think it's too strong for you, however, I don't personally think the EdT is the way to go. Some people feel that Mouchoir de Monsieur was originally intended to be the EdT counterpart to Jicky. In fact, our resident Basenotes Guerlain speciaIist, Mr. Guerlain, says on his webpage about MdM: "Some argue that Mouchoir de Monsieur is basically a more straightforward version of Jicky, i.e. Jicky without the resinous base." I think the Jicky EdT is even less faithful to the original perfume than MdM.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 20th August 2008 at 05:20 PM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

God, I need some Jicky. Any concentration.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Where's a good place to buy some? (factory bottle, not a decant) It's not the most widely available frag, for being famous and still in production.

I'd say the edp having the strong lavender and bitter rosemary opening empowered by the civet and more powdery base. The perfume has less tension in the opening though it has a more vibrant and longlasting lavender. I'd skip the edt. Btw, it's better if you have the chance to find perfume or edp in vintage (pre LVMH) edition.
    Last edited by Magnifiscent; 20th August 2008 at 07:19 AM.

Neiman Marcus sells the EDP.. I think something like $90 for the refill, $110 with the gold canister.

Quote Originally Posted by andylama View Post
    Where's a good place to buy some? (factory bottle, not a decant) It's not the most widely available frag, for being famous and still in production.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

The manliest version is WHATEVER Mr. Connery used to/still does wear!!! Anything he touches is instant MAN!!!!!

Cheers,
    Al

Basenotes Institution

Try any version you can sample. Your definition of 'manly' might be different than ours.

I have sampled only the EdP and found it quite wonderful and unisex.

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    Neiman Marcus sells the EDP.. I think something like $90 for the refill, $110 with the gold canister.
    At least on their website, those prices are for the EDT not the EDP (which isn't even listed).

Is there any version of Jicky that bears a semblance to Caron pour un Homme?

Thanks for the responses everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by renperd View Post
    Is there any version of Jicky that bears a semblance to Caron pour un Homme?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by yepyep View Post
    Thanks for the responses everybody!
    My favourite is the EDP, although it's not as easy to come by as the EDT, which is a bit pale in comparison. The parfum is nice, but I find it sweeter somehow (without actually being sweet...).

Jicky seems to be the object of lots of threads here recently and I am overjoyed to see the renewed interest in this gem of perfumery. :-))

I would venture to state that the parfum is the most exquisite form available in this one, very rich, animalic, gloriously decadent and powerful, it has the ability to empower in my mind (and would suit either sex). The EDT is more lavender laced which can be seen as a traditional masculine note because of its usual use in masculine scents, but other than that I find it rather lacking in panache compared with the magnificent parfum.

One great choice and economical, if you can find it on Ebay, would be the Eau de Cologne. As I said on another thread on "Jicky concentrations" (now back at page 3 it seems) , it's really a bargain as it's very, very lasting and projects like a modern eau de parfum!

He - yeah Mouchoir de Monsieur is basically bergamot, civet and lavender. I'd say, though, that if you really want a manly Jicky, HEAVY on the ripe-rotten, very manly smell of lavender, try Jicky EdC (can sometimes be found on eBay) - it's a lavender-monster! And with much less resin/tonka bean/opoponax at the base. I really couldn't imagine a woman wear that one...

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    The Jicky pure parfum was originally designed in 1889 as a men's fragrance. If you think it's too strong for you, however, I don't personally think the EdT is the way to go. Some people feel that Mouchoir de Monsieur was originally intended to be the EdT counterpart to Jicky. In fact, our resident Basenotes Guerlain speciaIist, Mr. Guerlain, says on his webpage about MdM: "Some argue that Mouchoir de Monsieur is basically a more straightforward version of Jicky, i.e. Jicky without the resinous base." I think the Jicky EdT is even less faithful to the original perfume than MdM.

Just wore the Jicky PDT that I got in a decant from the Perfumed Court for a second time. I haven't tried any of the other concentrations, but this is wonderful stuff! A bottle of the EDP/PDT is now definitely on my to-buy list.

I have Pour un Homme and have read in previous posts that there are distinct similarities with Jicky, is that true anyone?

I love PuH and Jicky EDT both, but I do not think they are similar at all. The style and feel of the scents are radically different. About the only similarity I see is the lavender, and it is applied very differently in the scents.