Code of Conduct

Default What's The Best Perfume Guide?

Folks, I want to buy a good and comprehensive perfume guide, with ratings and descriptions and classifications. Which one should I buy?

Next to the bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve

Default Re: What's The Best Perfume Guide?

Basenotes. I believe it's available on the internets.

I don't think there is a choice - it may be Perfumes the Guide (Turin and Sanchez) or nothing. Yes, it has flaws, but they are certainly engaging writers and if nothing else, some of their opinions will get you to the store to smell for yourself.
    Marge: Do you want your son to become Chief Justice of the Supreme Court or a sleazy male stripper?
    Homer: Can't he be both, like the late Earl Warren?

I second Basenotes. Frankly perfume's such a personal thing that even someone with the scientific chops to actually name the particular chemical compound that makes him like or hate a fragrance is still merely expressing an opinion. Cruise Basenotes, cruise the blogs, buy The Guide and you'll still end up with your own strong opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusVorenus View Post
    Folks, I want to buy a good and comprehensive perfume guide, with ratings and descriptions and classifications. Which one should I buy?
    I do not think that there is The One. Michael Edwards' is comprehensive and has the definitive classification, but it does not rate the fragrances, and I believe that the descriptions come from the companies' marketing departments (if the descriptions are the same as the online version).

Luca Turin and Tania Sanchez's has ratings and descriptions, but is neither comprehensive nor a true classification. I found it to be eminently enjoyable, however.

There are some other books that are legendary, but they would not be comprehensive because they are out of print. I would check Now Smell This's "perfume book" section.

Certainly adding to your research with internet sites is useful. In addition to Basenotes, Now Smell This is very informative. Michael Edwards has a free site that allows you to search through his category system. Ozmoz has a category system as well.

None of this can substitute for direct experience, but it can sometimes be useful in pointing you in the right direction.

Blog Entries

I would say to "buy" Basenotes, but you're already a supporter! Hooray Lucius!

PS - I agree completely with everything said so far above my post. That's a first on one of your threads.

Now Smell This is a great fragrance blog, widely regarded as one of the top two or three.

You could do a lot worse than to start with their 100 Fragrances Every Perfumista Should Try:

http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/b...6/2275982.html

I find this list to be a lot more helpful than the top ten lists or five-star fragrances in the Turin & Sanchez book. If you're really serious about perfume, though, at some point you're going to have acquire that book as well. Just take it with a huge grain of salt. Basnotes is also a great resource. I've found Foetidus and Vibert's reviews, in particular, to be very helpful and informative. Both have sampled a huge number of fragrances and write thoughtful reviews.
    "Certainly, virtue is like precious odours, most fragrant when they are incensed, or crushed: for prosperity doth best discover vice; but adversity doth best discover virtue."

- Francis Bacon

I second FloatingPoint. Asides from Basenotes, Now Smell This has great reviews along with fairly good comprehensive description of the scent. Perfumes the Guide, unfortunately annoys me every time I come across one of their one or two line reviews. Honestly, they're reviewers and all they can come up with are just these pathetically short sentences?

The best guide is your nose. Get to stores that have testers. If you have some spare change, buy the "cheapos" that have gotten rave reviews here at BN. Then you can begin to create your own guide, in your mind. Otherwise, I'd have to say that I really don't trust any one person's views. Turin and Foetidus, for example, offer a lot of great information, but I really can't tell if I'm going to like a frag based upon what either one of them (or anyone else) has to say. It might be that I'm more particular than most, but I think for most people that what happens is that over time you tend to sharpen your sense of frag taste, and some frags that you used to like you later regard as too rough or unrefined, too weak, too simple, or whatever.

I agree with Turin & Sanchez and Basenotes, but would like to add MakeupAlley as well--there are often several times more reviews there than here. (Example: My favorite, Ormonde Woman, has 5 reviews on Basenotes, but 59 reviews on MakeupAlley.)
    My examples:
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26123449.html
    EDP: http://www.makeupalley.com/product/s...ne_/Fragrances
    Parfum: http://www.makeupalley.com/product/s...ne_/Fragrances

I just noticed something (a bit of a "Duh" moment): there are usually twice as many reviews of masculine fragrances on Basenotes as on MakeupAlley, and about ten times as many reviews of female fragrances on MakeupAlley as on basenotes. And here at Basenotes there's always a lot more activity on the male fragrance board than on the female board. Maybe the pink background and cute icons and the word "makeup" everywhere scares the guys away from MakeupAlley? Imagine that.
    The unisex fragrances, interestingly, seem to have about equal numbers of reviews--Comme des Garcons 2 has 21 reviews here, 29 on MakeupAlley.
    Last edited by Onychophora; 13th August 2008 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Onychophora View Post
    I just noticed something (a bit of a "Duh" moment): there are usually twice as many reviews of masculine fragrances on Basenotes as on MakeupAlley, and about ten times as many reviews of female fragrances on MakeupAlley as on basenotes. And here at Basenotes there's always a lot more activity on the male fragrance board than on the female board. Maybe the pink background and cute icons and the word "makeup" everywhere scares the guys away from MakeupAlley? Imagine that.
    The unisex fragrances, interestingly, seem to have about equal numbers of reviews--Comme des Garcons 2 has 21 reviews here, 29 on MakeupAlley.
    Yeah, I stumbled upon this site thinking it was baseball. J/K

While books are nice, a good internet review site will be better. It's more up to date. It has reviews from a large number of people ranging from average joe to scent addicts to people in the industry. I understand the want or need for a book, but when I need information about scents, I come here.

I wasn't trying to be insulting, my apologies. I'd just realized that there weren't a lot of reviews for male fragrances on MakeupAlley, and since most of the people on BaseNotes seem to be guys it could be a bad recommendation for a review site.
    Last edited by Onychophora; 13th August 2008 at 09:12 PM.

Do a Google search using the terms "perfume reviews blogs (name of the scent you want to research)."

A list of all the blog reviews of the scent will appear, sorted by blog. You click on an entry and will be taken to that blog, to that review or discussion of the scent.

Just remember to use the term "reviews" or you'll get every online retailer who has ever sold the fragrance! (You'll get some anyway, but this method will at least keep them down to a reasonable level.)

Then, copy and paste the reviews you want into a Word or other word-processing document. In this way, you'll be able to have the info you need on any particular scent in a useable form.
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

Thanks for the suggestions, everybody. I do visit the "Now Smell This" website regularly. I have just bought the Turin and Sanchez book.... I know doesn't tell all the facts and all the truth about all perfumes, but it may be useful as a starting point. I got a very good price for it online.

Lucius

Ditto. I bought "Perfumes - The Guide" today. It's definately a nice-to-have. A few, however, which I personally love, are given a very poor review. Somehow it makes me love them all the more....
    Last edited by laroche; 20th August 2008 at 10:34 PM.