Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsors

Default How Long Will A 3.4oz Last?

I plan on getting a 3.4oz bottle of kenneth cole reaction. How many sprays will i get?
    Last edited by kyang08; 21st August 2008 at 01:04 AM.

Default Re: How Long Will A 3.4oz Last?

Quote Originally Posted by kyang08 View Post
    I plan on getting a 3.4oz bottle of kenneth cole reaction. How many sprays will i get?
    Well lets see. You happen to be in luck, the blog Now Smell This just did an article on this They figured out 735 per 50ml, so you should have an estimated 1470 sprays, divide that by how many sprays you do per day and you can find out how many days it will last

The Article: http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/b...9/3823281.html

FOREVER. For me at least. And my bottle of Prada Amber pour Homme haha

EDIT: Uhhhh why is my email my username? I can't figure out how to change it in the control panel? HELP?!
    Last edited by Mengels; 21st August 2008 at 02:31 AM.

Thanks s0me0nesmind1!

That jibes pretty well with my experience - it normally takes me about 28 sprays (some more, some less) to fill a 2ml atomizer.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 21st August 2008 at 02:48 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Wink Re: How Long Will A 3.4oz Last?

4 or 5 days, give or take. With Reaction, you have to use half the bottle just to be able to detect it after it dries down.

Ha ha, seriously, Reaction lasted only 30 ~ 60 minutes on me before fading into oblivion. I returned my bottle. I hope you have better luck with it than I did.
    Last edited by Shaheen; 21st August 2008 at 02:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaheen View Post
    4 or 5 days, give or take. With Reaction, you have to use half the bottle just to be able to detect it after it dries down.

Ha ha, seriously, Reaction lasted only 30 ~ 60 minutes on me before fading into oblivion. I returned my bottle. I hope you have better luck with it than I did.
    eh. i was afraid of that. i see people saying that it doesn't last long. I love the smell though =\ .Do you have a recommendation for something that smells like it?

My 3.4oz envy has lasted a couple years or so. Almost three.

You get about 8 sprays for every ml. May vary from perfume to perfume. 30ml or 1oz is about 240 sprays. 100ml. 800 sprays.

Get an EDP, such a Jaipur or Amouage XXV (although this is $$$$$).* People with drier skin tend to use EDP's because an EDT may not give them the longevity that they desire. As you may or may not know, an EDP is stronger than an EDT and the fragrance concentration is, in fact, much greater.

*I am not sure if these smell like Reaction.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 21st August 2008 at 03:35 AM. Reason: clarity

I agree about Reaction, about the only "reaction" you will have is your disgust of having to reapply it every couple of hours. Once the nice fruit top notes wear off inside the first hour you are left with a very strange sandlewood like odor that thankfully goes away an hour after the nice fruit top notes are gone.

You may want to look at Sean Jean's Unforgivable, Original Hugo, or if you don't mind going high end Creed Millsime Imperial, and from what I understand Bond #9 Hamptons or Wall Street. They all have the fresh watermelon note that KCR does but with far better longevity.

I like KCR but you're right it fades.. try using the gel, after hsave or the deoderant.. .sorry

Kevin at Now Smell This wrote a great column on this - he actually counted the average number of sprays you can get from a bottle!

I still have the first 100ml bottle I bought and this is 5 years on with 30% left. I only got into frags this year so in 4.5 years prior, I used about 65%.

HTH
    top ten: L'Air du Desert Marocain, Black Aoud, Le Labo Rose 31, Bois du Portugal, Incense Rose, Millesime Imperial, Czech & Speake no.88, Terre de Hermes, Musc Ravageur, Nasomatto Duro

Best layers: GIT and TdH, GIT and BA

sample wishlist: Roses Musk

Quote Originally Posted by kyang08 View Post
    You're better off ripping the atomizer off the bottle and dumping the thing on you since KC Reaction (while smelling good) won't last any longer than a slug with salt on it.

And the sprayer for KCR sprays a lot. You'd get maybe 500 sprays.

IMO Joop! Jump & Joop! Go are quite similar to KC reaction, with much more longevity.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

I didn't know about the nowsmellthis article.... interesting for sure but the volume coming from a sprayer varies widely by manufacturer.

A better way to estimate usage (unless you're tracking how many sprays you use over multiple wears) is to figure out how much, by volume, you wear. Count the number of sprays you put on, then put that number of sprays into a 1 or 2ml sampler vial.

Using Prada Amber as an example (since it was mentioned), I figured that I use about 2ml of Prada Amber every time I wear it for the day. So that's about 50 wears, and since it's one of my favorites and I wear it about every 10-14 days, my bottle should last 18-24 months.

I used the KCR after shave, with the deoderant and then the EDT. It maybe lasted an 1 1/2 hours. Great scent but no longevity.

Blog Entries

Thankyou s0me0nesmind1 for knowing about that article and reposting it here. Half way thru Kevin asks, "Do you have the time, or inclination, to figure out YOUR perfume collection’s lifespan?" Nope. I think it would make it difficult for me to justify new purchases-- "Let's see, I already have enough perfume to last until I'm 107, and if I buy those three Jo Malone bottles, layer 2 sprays of two scents each wearing... now I have to live until I'm 110. Gee, I'm already supposed to give up red meat, bourbon, and running with scissors next week. Guess I'd better stop buying perfume!"

On the other hand, it does incline me to wear my favorite scents more lavishly, use lesser favorites as a bathroom spray, and share more generously with others!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Atomizer math is definitely an inexact science. Let's ask Mr. Owl.
    Last edited by MadScientist; 25th August 2008 at 02:07 AM.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    "Let's see, I already have enough perfume to last until I'm 107, and if I buy those three Jo Malone bottles, layer 2 sprays of two scents each wearing... now I have to live until I'm 110. Gee, I'm already supposed to give up red meat, bourbon, and running with scissors next week. Guess I'd better stop buying perfume!"
    The solution here, of course, is decants --- buying, selling, and trading them. You get all the variety you want, and you don't have to live until you're over 100 years old. I'm not willing to give up running with scissors so that I can deplete all my 100ml bottles before shuffling off this mortal coil.

It's been a few years but I seem to recall a study done by Professor Yortuk Festrunk where he demonstrated a correlation between the total number of gold neck chains owned and how long the average 3.4 ounce bottle of cologne would last.

Quote Originally Posted by s0me0nesmind1 View Post
    Well lets see. You happen to be in luck, the blog Now Smell This just did an article on this They figured out 735 per 50ml, so you should have an estimated 1470 sprays, divide that by how many sprays you do per day and you can find out how many days it will last

The Article: http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/b...9/3823281.html
    Very amusing article, I especially like how he will sometimes "I tuck a mostly unused bottle of fragrance in my bag and, during my day, abandon it — in a restroom, a lunch room, on a ledge at a restaurant, in a classroom. I sometimes look back at the abandoned bottle as I flee the scene and feel a twinge of regret and ‘sadness’ — and hope it will find a good home with someone who loves it."

VERY HILARIOUS but also... inevitably something I will now be doing tomorrow. Although I doubt anyone will make use of my 7 year old Micheal Jordan frag.
    Last edited by masuerte; 10th September 2008 at 06:10 AM.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by masuerte View Post
    Although I doubt anyone will make use of my 7 year old Micheal Jordan frag.

lol

A very nice thread, thank you all!
    My all time favorite:

Dior Fahrenheit

one mililiter has average number of 20 drops of any liquid.

Banned
    Blog Entries

It will probably last you a year , if that's the only bottle you own.

If you own 10 bottles, your collection will probably last 10 years. And so on and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by s0me0nesmind1 View Post
    404 Not Found. Anyone have a new link to this article?

Basenotes Plus

approximately twice as long as a 1.7 oz bottle.

Or approximately the same as a 1.7 oz. bottle if you use it twice as fast.

Or forever if you get bored of it. It's around 12 sprays per ml. 100ml=1200 sprays That's so much juice.

I usually get 6-12 sprays per mL, depending on the bottle. 3 sprays per day (not counting reapplication after gym or going out later in the evening)= 3 days per mL= about 122 mL per year. This doesn't count testing, random sniffing, and reapplication. That sounds like a good minimum to me. Almost makes me hesitate buying a 16.9 oz. bottle of Caron Pour un Homme, almost.

Quote Originally Posted by masuerte View Post
    Very amusing article, I especially like how he will sometimes "I tuck a mostly unused bottle of fragrance in my bag and, during my day, abandon it — in a restroom, a lunch room, on a ledge at a restaurant, in a classroom. I sometimes look back at the abandoned bottle as I flee the scene and feel a twinge of regret and ‘sadness’ — and hope it will find a good home with someone who loves it."
    Oh dear. When I read the line "I sometimes look back at the abandoned bottle as I flee the scene and feel a twinge of regret and ‘sadness’" I had one of those sinking feelings, just like when you watch a very sad scene in a movie. What does that mean?
    It's been a long hot Summer in Sydney, looking forward to Winter & wearing vanilla fragrances.