Code of Conduct

Default Un jardin aprs la mousson. Herms. Nice aquatic floral unisex

Perfumist: Jean Claude Hellena.

Notes of lime, basil, citron, coriander, cardamom, green pepper, ginger flower, water lily, vetiver, amber.

I was wondering yesterday at Paragon Dep. Store here in Bangkok, trying to find substitutes of my summer fragrances, as in Thailand hot and humidity fades away quickly every single subtle scents you can wear.
    A sale assistant approach me with this new launch from Hermes.
    I really wasnt aware of the garden range from the brand.
    So I decided to give it a go, and, I quite like this new one: Its a spicy, green, damp, citrus aroma that evokes the scent of ginger lemonade, with the tart, peppery smell of lime.

Un jardin aprs la mousson reminds me straight away a calm walk through the spicy market in Kerala, the dewy green of a mediterranean field on spring and the monzonic hard rain period in India, in an anti natural way, that makes me wonder, and I think, this is a great synthetic perfume, well blended.

Here, to my nose, like the older brothers, the water aquatic notes reveal a singularity that goes way beyond it, like a tonic. The main notes are aquatic, with strong hints of lime and water lily flower.

The perfume starts sour and zesty, (instant deja v of the glorious Lime Soda from CDG).
    Theres like an aqueous feeling of being in front of a sweet-sour lemonade drink, without the effervescence, but the scent goes green immediately, aromatic and spicy.
    Coriander reveals at this stage green but subtle, plus peppery accords with the cardamom note and ginger flower, here ghostly and leaning to the soft spicy too.

The intromission of the water lily in the heart notes is gorgeous.
    Soft, calm, a nice different floral note. The whole perfume remains softly spicy yet sour-aromatic, yet aquatic, yet subtle, energetic too.
    I can detect a vague aroma of wet soil here, right in the background. I assume is the blend of the ginger flower hand by hand to the green pepper note and vetiver, showing itself like a far away rumour of the olfative image of the wet scent of a garden after rain.

In the base notes the vetiver is soft, (again, as the whole accords), but not in the same line of fresh colognes or sporty fragrances.

Water lily note is rather a feminine accord, but in here, gives a very complex, serious twist to the whole formula. I quite see myself easily wearing this perfume on calurosas nights.

At the end, the juice remains in your skin for 4-5 hours, first, intensive, like a glorious cloud around you, but gets subtle after two hours after apply.
    Is this kind of scent that keeps coming and go from the sight, and, suddenly, reminds you, that you wear a nice perfume.
    Read my perfume reviews at: http://perfumenoparatodos.blogspot.com/

Digital art portfolio: www.dreamlandpostcards.com

Default Re: Un jardin aprs la mousson. Herms. Nice aquatic floral unisex

A very nice review, thanks! I admire and envy the way so many here on Basenotes put into words their experience of fragrance.

They don't sell Herms in the department store fragrance conglomerate here - which sells mostly designer stuff. Anyway, my exposure to Herms has mostly been in foreign countries or in airport taxfrees. I originally ordered a sample of UJALM and wasn't won over with my first wearing - perhaps because it wasn't exactly what I was expecting based on the two earlier "Jardins".

On my last trip to Barcelona, however, I had ample opportunity to resample UJALM - this time in a mediterranian climate. Somehow, it just seemed to work in that dry-warm airy & breezy climate. I find it to be a great summer "on vacation" scent.

I sneaked a bottle into my carry-on at the Barcelona taxfree (after paying for it, of course).

ps I took notice yesterday on my bicyling to work how fresh and complex this earth smells after a rain shower.
    Last edited by Delmar; 21st August 2008 at 07:25 AM.

I just read that Luca Turin gives UJALM four stars in his newly released "Perfumes: The Guide Newsletter"! (Un Jardin Sur le Nil & Un Jardin En Mediterranee received "only" three!)

That newsletter, in case you haven't already, can be downloaded here:

http://www.perfumestheguide.com/newsletter.html
    Last edited by Delmar; 31st August 2008 at 07:11 PM.

Blog Entries

I really want to love this scent, but I just can't. I think it's technically amazing - it really gives the image it promises. But I simply am not pleased by it. Some aquatics like Bulgari's just thrill me, like surfing. This one is almost depressing, like a flooded basement. I always reach for something else when I start to reach for UJALM..

Fortunately, that's not a problem. I bought it for my wife, primarily, and she truly loves it! So I'm pretty much off the hook on that almost-blind buy.

I think it's interesting how far Burr's review and Turin's differ from each other. It seems that Burr simply can't stand another aquatic, even if done in an original fashion. Turin, on the other hand, seems to see a lot of artistry and execution in this one. Fascinating...

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I think it's interesting how far Burr's review and Turin's differ from each other. It seems that Burr simply can't stand another aquatic, even if done in an original fashion. Turin, on the other hand, seems to see a lot of artistry and execution in this one. Fascinating...
    Interestingly Burrs review is the more technical one, while Turin really doesn't go into deeper details of why this one is worthy of 4 stars.
    -

I also like it a lot. I really don't see why it's slashed soooo hard.

Sur la Plage

I think it is by far the worst of the Jardin series. I found it quite disappointing.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Institution

I am quite certain, that this scent does very different things on different peoples skin. I thought it was incredibly boring to me, and this is coming from a Hermes and Jean Claude Ellena Fan Club member.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I am quite certain, that this scent does very different things on different peoples skin. I thought it was incredibly boring to me, and this is coming from a Hermes and Jean Claude Ellena Fan Club member.
    Member? Try President!

You know, I think that's it. My wife's skin typically chews up a lot of scents, making them very difficult to recognize, even after a few minutes. But Mousson remains intact on her skin for quite a while. In my case, I really like the spicy aspects of the scent, but they are fleeting at best on my skin, leaving me with a boring aquatic accord in just minutes. Even my Herrera Aqua is far more interesting after time, due to a persistent fresh note.

I'm going to try to solve this by spraying on clothing next time. If it's not just a volatility issue, then the spices may hang around better for me.