Code of Conduct

Default Decanting Question

I now am the very, VERY happy owner of a 1000ml bottle of Knize Ten. It comes in a beautiful wooden box, with the simplistic but wonderfully large bottle wrapped in black / white paper with the sign of Knize all over it. The box is locked when you buy it, and you have to open it with a hammer to get out the bolts.

There is a 100ml refillable spray included in the box, but it's not filled. Now, the problem is, the spash bottle of 1000ml has a plastic "dropper" on top of it, with a diameter of around 1mm. I can't get in with a pipette which i have (the 1ml pipette of accessories for fragrance) because the hole is too small.

Decanting it in a funnel also is not possible, because you might spill it all over because you can't target the dropper. It's the same with my eau sauvage 400 ml bottle (which i sold).

I will make pictures soon (low batteries in camera) and post them of the box and bottle, and pictures of the opening on top, but in the meantime, can anyone eleborate on how they decant from splash bottles with really small holes?

Default Re: Decanting Question

With a syringe (with the needle on).
    Last edited by Night; 21st August 2008 at 08:20 PM.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Can't be of much help, but that sounds incredible... can't wait to see pictures!
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Is the "dropper" on the top of the 1000ml a plastic insert? If so, you should be able to pop it out with a thin blunt object like a butter knife and then just pour out what you need into the 100ml spray.
    You may need to pop the plastic out by inserting something into the hole the juice comes out of. Just be very careful if you want to keep this piece.
    You should then be able to replace the plastic "dropper" dispenser. I'm just taking a guess here.
    1000ml of K10 would last me 10 lifetimes. :-)

Basenotes Institution

I think evogel is correct - that plastic piece should pop right out (use a blunt edged knife).

If not, and it won't budge, you can use a pipette to remove liquid. Like this:

You can buy pipettes at decanting supply stores, like Accessories for Fragrance.

If you can't get a dropper in there, I second the syringe idea (which is what I used before I got a small funnel).

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    Is the "dropper" on the top of the 1000ml a plastic insert? If so, you should be able to pop it out with a thin blunt object like a butter knife and then just pour out what you need into the 100ml spray.
    You may need to pop the plastic out by inserting something into the hole the juice comes out of. Just be very careful if you want to keep this piece.
    You should then be able to replace the plastic "dropper" dispenser. I'm just taking a guess here.
    1000ml of K10 would last me 10 lifetimes. :-)
    It is a plastic insert indeed. But i'm afraid about damaging it, because it's critical to the storage because inside the cap there is rubbed which closes on the dropper. I should be careful with it

@ Mikeperez, i have a funnel, it's just too wide. It won't fit in.

@ BBbd, I don't own a syringe an can only buy them online in 100 piece packages.

maybe you could siphon it off with l length of thin plastic tubing?

1000ml? Wow!

I am just surprised they expect you to use a 1000ml bottle as a "splash"!
    I would think the chances of dropping the big, heavy bottle are pretty high.
    Considering they send you a 100ml spray, there has to be a way to decant it off. ?
    Your first line was the give away..........having to hammer off the bolts to open the box!!!

Usually, those plastic dropper openings come off easily and can be replaced if done with care. I've never seen one that is integral to the function of the bottle. The bottle can usually be preserved with a screw top even if the plastic piece is removed.

InconcievableZen, I am at a loss I wish I had something to help you further!

This is stictly conjecture since you didn't post a photo, but I've found that a small pair of dykes (That's really what they're called) work perfectly for easing out plastic tops from bottles. I use this technique to remove the plastic tops from the 1.5 mL spray samples from Perfumed Court.

All that's necessary is for the plastic insert to have a small lip on top that the dyke knife edges can squeeze under between the plastic and glass. Once lodged under the lip, you can use gentle leverage to pry the insert off, and since the dykes work both sides of the insert, it's much easier than using a knife. This is much simpler than it appears in text, believe me. Just buy the dykes and you'll figure it out in a few seconds. You can buy them at electronic supply stores like Radio Shack.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 22nd August 2008 at 06:23 AM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by InconcievableZen View Post
    It is a plastic insert indeed. But i'm afraid about damaging it, because it's critical to the storage because inside the cap there is rubbed which closes on the dropper. I should be careful with it

@ BBbd, I don't own a syringe an can only buy them online in 100 piece packages.
    I second the recommendation to use a syringe. It's the best way to make sure you don't waste a precious drop! You can buy needles and syringes very cheaply from a chemist's/drugstore. I'm the UK and have bought them for about 50p. The big chain store pharmacies like Boots or Superdrug probably won't sell them to you, but I went to my local neighbourhood chemist with the narrow necked bottle I wanted to decant from. The pharmacist was really helpful and found a long needle and a 10 ml syringe so i could get right to the bottom of my bottle and drain every drop. It's the easiest decant I've ever done, MUCH better than the plastic pipettes, with no drips or spills.

If you can't get them in the area you live I can look into getting one for you. I don't think you need a prescription where I live, and I have a friend who is diabetic who can get them anyway. I guess the problem would be getting a huge one.

So, you are saying this bottle is ONE LITRE? Hard to imagine a 1L bottle with a hole so small that a dropper won't fit. Looking forward to the photos....

I also have used syringes--they are available at a medical supply, and usually you do not have to buy a whole case.

Dependent

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=213251

This may or may not be helpful, but these atomizers come with the thinnest funnels with a wide opening and also come with a attachable strawhead not that you would need them for a splash bottle. Ive loads of unused pipettes pumps as well. hope this could shed some new light. also looking forward to pics to judge. also the small opening as i understand would be to prevent as much air or dust from contaminating the frag.

It was possible to open it with a big knife. Wasn't as ressilient as i respected. Well, now i decanted 100ml from it into the smaller bottle and the 1000ml still looks full. I will post pictures when i have loaded my batteries for the camera.

The 1000ml of Knize Ten will stand next to the 750ml of Caron PuH, 400ml Azzaro PH, 250 ml Vintage Tabarome and 200ml Blenheim Bouquet.

Smile Re: Decanting Question

It was possible to open it with a big knife. Wasn't as ressilient as i respected. Well, now i decanted 100ml from it into the smaller bottle and the 1000ml still looks full. I will post pictures when i have loaded my batteries for the camera.

The 1000ml of Knize Ten will stand next to the 750ml of Caron PuH, 400ml Azzaro PH, 250 ml Vintage Tabarome and 200ml Blenheim Bouquet.
    ..... Golly.. hope you have reinforced the floorboards!
    Last edited by deck89; 23rd August 2008 at 11:59 AM.

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

Where do you get such "monsters"? Indeed it worth to show on the photo. Looking forward to it.
    Anais Nin: "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom"
    Link to my perfumery blog: http://aromax-on-line.blogspot.com/

1000ml of Knize Ten, 750 ml of Caron PuH, 200ml Blenheim Bouquet, 400ml Azzaro pH, 250 ml Vintage Tabarome

Last edited by InconcievableZen; 25th August 2008 at 09:04 PM.

1000ml of Knize Ten, 750 ml of Caron PuH, 200ml Blenheim Bouquet, 400ml Azzaro pH, 250 ml Vintage Tabarome
    Hey, you didn't post an image of the notorious splash tip that everyone had to imagine in their minds!
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

That's one big mother.......where did you score that?

Perfume for giants!

I´d feel so small and dainty around those. Gives the feeling of the Efteling tbh.