Code of Conduct

Default BdP, Acier, or Him

Hey all,

I am really struggling to choose my next creed, I am thinking of getting either bois du portugal, acier aluminum, or himalaya, I enjoy all of them alot , but since im on a tight budget as a student I need to make a smart choice on these.

My question is , what do you all think of these comparitively , either in quality , time and situation to use etc, uniqueness? I was thinking bdp has the most character and is beautiful but may have limited usage opportunities, himilaya smells great but is it really unique enough to justify a purchase???? --- put it this way if this stuff was 50 bucks for a 4 oz i would have snapped it no problem , but is it really worth the dough???? And acier seems the most unique out of all of them but I just cant get over some image in my head that it belongs with the sort of sleazy outdated scent family---- not in a bad way but kind of like how paul sebastian might be considered sleazy 70's??

what do you all think and maybe suggest some others for me, I love SMW and MI too but they dont last at all on me and they might be too femme for my taste as a regular user.

thanks for any help

Default Re: BdP, Acier, or Him

ps......notable creeds i have not sampled yet

Royal english leather and lav
    santal
    cypres
    royal delight and water
    vintage tab
    angelique??? is that right?

any maybe less common ones, maybe i should hold off ???

Blog Entries

My personal pecking order is Acier Aluminum, Baie de Geneivre, Bois de Portugal. I haven't tried Vintage Tabarome yet, and it seems to be *THE* Creed to own based on the comments on here.

If you like SMW and MI, then Erolfa and Royal Water might be right up your alley. Himalaya is good, but a bit too generic. Erolfa belongs to the same family, but is much more unique.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Of the three I think Himalaya is the most versatile and least interesting. Acier is the weirdest and possibly not the best choice if you wear perfumes for others as much as for yourself. I find Bois du Portugal to be a wonderfully versatile scent good for boardroom as well as outdoors. That would be my choice.

Equally good, IMO, are Orange Spice & Baie de Genievre, both full bodied, manly/elegant compositions with excellent longevity and character. Vintage Tab is great, too, but perhaps more limited stylewise & more expensive as only available in the 8 oz. splash. I'd get a decant of it. REL is one of my favorites, a splendid sweet leather, but most suited to evening wear - not that I care. Cypres is a great hardcore green scent for cool climates and an acquired taste, especially the top notes. Not the first choice. Angélique Encens is a gender bender and turns into vanilla hell on me after 30 minutes, the first ten are great, but again, not exactly casual wearing.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I'd say skip them all and get some Green Irish Tweed. I think it's the most versatile, the most "serene" one - and well suited for a student (as I am one myself). I agree with everything you said in your post. All these three are great in their own rights, but versatility is pretty limited. Whereas Green Irish Tweed... Just a thought!

Bois de Portugal is my favorite of the three.

BDP - Probably the best of the bunch, but not something that wears well without a suit or tux.
    Acier - Creed's answer for an oriental, I did not like it and thought it smelled odd.
    Himalaya - One of my mainstays, love it. It is very cool (temp wise) smelling, and has some interesting notes in it to keep it interesting. Just a great fresh smell.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux View Post
    I'd say skip them all and get some Green Irish Tweed. I think it's the most versatile, the most "serene" one - and well suited for a student (as I am one myself). I agree with everything you said in your post. All these three are great in their own rights, but versatility is pretty limited. Whereas Green Irish Tweed... Just a thought!
    I agree with DesGrieux. I think Green Irish Tweed is the most versatile Creed - right for any occasion.

Personally, Himalaya does not do much for me. I like Acier Aluminium and Bois du Portugal, but they are not something I would reach for all of the time.

Does your next purchase HAVE to be a Creed?
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Good advice given by other members.

I will however encourage you to fill in the complete names of the fragrances in the thread title when you start your next thread. It got me wondering about what or who this "Him" is. "Bois du Portugal, Acier Aluminium or Himalaya?" insteadof "BdP, Acier or Him".

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I also vote for Bois du Portugal....

I'd go with BdP as well. It's my go-to office scent. It works well for evening wear from jeans and t-shirt on up.
    top ten: L'Air du Desert Marocain, Black Aoud, Le Labo Rose 31, Bois du Portugal, Incense Rose, Millesime Imperial, Czech & Speake no.88, Terre de Hermes, Musc Ravageur, Nasomatto Duro

Best layers: GIT and TdH, GIT and BA

sample wishlist: Roses Musk

what do you all think himalaya vs SMW and MI , it seems almost nobody prefers himalaya over these two??? Although i dont find it as unique as either smw or MI it seems just more pleasant to me, but maybe a tad bit generic??? I really dont wanna spend that kind of money for a generic scent as much as i like it, but then again idk. Why do you feel smw and MI have so much more of a fan base, I really wish i could love these as they smell great but for me, "1 test spray on any body surface, a small spray to be more specific," and i cant smell it an hour later unless i bury my nose in my skin, is this normal??? Is it there and i just cant detect it , i get almost no sillage out of those 2 with just a single spray. I just wish himalaya had a bit more of a defining character or am I missing something and some of you feel himalaya has as much or more character than MI or SMW? ....clearly i dont think anyone does but I still kinda want to hear if anyone favors himalaya over MI and SMW