Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Which scents/note do you love, but it gives you a headache?

I am trying to expand my experiences with lavender scents. My Caldey Island Lavender Water is so light, breezy and well...watery (it's the Club Med of lavender scents...minimal, no fuss, neutral). Other lavenders I have tried get slightly powdery (which I don't like) or, even worse, I don't smell the lavender at all. So, I was quite blown away by Gris Clair by Serge Lutens when I sampled it for the first time last week (thanks Ruggles). I intentionally overapplied it and within a few minutes totally got it. I could go on-and-on about Gris Clair, but that is not the point of this thread...

After the top medicinal cold lavender notes calmed down on Gris Clair, the general effect the fragrance arrived at to my nose was: pine. Pine oil, pine cones, pine needles, pine tree sap. Pine, pine, pine. What a wonderful combo, I thought, lavender and pine.

I kept trying to figure out - where had I smelled this before? Blenheim Bouquet came to mind instantly. I remember there was something about BB that I couldn't put my finger on...that kept me from buying a full bottle.

Then in a few minutes, I got my answer: Pine all purpose cleaner. Growing up, my mom used to use PineSol to clean the house. I totally forgot this, because I never buy PineSol as an adult, because every time I smell it I get an immediate headache. And, this is exactly what happened with Gris Clair. A headache. Immediately.

I like the smell of pine, but I can't smell it without getting a headache.

In addition, any really strong ink smell also gives me a headache - that's why I can't wear Odeur 53 by Comme des Garcons (copier toner cartridge variety ink) or Comme des Garcons 2 (well...just ink).

What gives you a headache?

Default Re: Which scents/note do you love, but it gives you a headache?

Funny...only last evening when i oversprayed Issey Miyake and it gave me a headache, i thought i would start a thread calling out for the headache causing frags...and here it is....

I do remember reading a similar thread on basenotes long ago where members put out their No. 1 headache inducing fragrance....I think Issey Miyake ph would surely take the cake....
    There is something in its notes, that really messes up with the head (more so if it oversprayed).

gupts
    Last edited by gupts; 8th September 2007 at 04:44 AM.

I have also been contemplating a thread like this.

.....Habit Rouge.....

I want so much to be able to wear it but without fail, when I wear it I get a vicious headache three hours after applying.

Montale - Black Aoud Everytime I wore it, I got a headache. Had to sell it.

Tonka bean makes my head hurt.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Pino Silvestre.

Some of my favorites give me headaches. Maybe it is one common ingredient. I would like to find out.
    Black XS
    Creed Virgin Island Water

CDG is probably the company that gives me the most headaches. (good to know it isn't just me)
    Odeur 53
    CDG2
    Kyoto (I don't spray my chest and I avoid the headache effect)

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by snakesandladders View Post
    CDG is probably the company that gives me the most headaches. (good to know it isn't just me)
    Odeur 53
    CDG2
    Kyoto (I don't spray my chest and I avoid the headache effect)
    snakesandladders - it's probably hedione.

Interestingly enough, Odeur 53 by Comme des Garcons (created by perfumer Martine Pallix in 1998) contains the highest percentage of hedione than any perfume on the market, making up more than half of the formula.

Hedione, is highly diffusive and quite tenacious. As it evaporates, hedione seems to remain in the air, which is it's distinction (and probably what give us a headache). Hedione is also in Eau Savage and Diorella by Christian Dior; Aromatics Elixir by Clinique (this give me a headache too!); Kenzo Flower and First by Van Cleef & Arpels.

Eternity summer

and tragically Lanvin's Arpege (modern women's)

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    snakesandladders - it's probably hedione.

Interestingly enough, Odeur 53 by Comme des Garcons (created by perfumer Martine Pallix in 1998) contains the highest percentage of hedione than any perfume on the market, making up more than half of the formula.

Hedione, is highly diffusive and quite tenacious. As it evaporates, hedione seems to remain in the air, which is it's distinction (and probably what give us a headache). Hedione is also in Eau Savage and Diorella by Christian Dior; Aromatics Elixir by Clinique (this give me a headache too!); Kenzo Flower and First by Van Cleef & Arpels.

Mike,

That sounds like that could be it. It is part of the fragrance that remains constant to the point it becomes headache inducing. I will watch for that.

Arpège pour Homme (That's why I had to swap it.)

Lapidus for Men (The original -- liked it, but OH the splitting headaches that would often follow!)

A*men (Evil cocoa-powdered, tar-drenched bastard! The headaches from this vile, demonic hell-juice are enough to make Yours Truly excuse himself -- to quote Dorothy Parker on another subject -- from the auditorium to the vomitorium.) Angel for Women's only slightly better, though it IS basically just A*men that's been slathered in melted, slightly burned cotton candy and then sprinkled with flower petals.

Lolita Lempicka pour Homme (Don't know if it's all that anise or just the tonka, but OY!)

Monogram by Ralph Lauren

Joop! (Still like it, though.)

Le Mâle (IF applied too heavily. I'm cool with it, though, if it's been lightly applied.)

Iquitos (")

Lalique Equus (")

Visit (")

Tabu (")

Versailles pour Homme (Even as much as I love it, no less!)

Really almost ANYTHING with too much tonka bean. (I'm with you on this one BIG TIME, thenmarcher!)
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 10th September 2007 at 08:31 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Hanae Mori for Men. I love the smell, hate the headaches.

Lolita Lempicka makes me queasy.

Reviving an old thread....

I just discovered that Mugler Cologne gives me an incredible headache. It's the only fragrance I've ever encountered that has this effect on me. (Maybe "S" stands for "splitting headache"!)

I don't love it, but I like it. And if it didn't give me a headache, I might wear it occasionally. But it's not worth the pain!

Mike I also tested Gris Clair last week and absolutely loved it. Funny though, I did not find it similar to BB (which I own) at all. BB is so much about citrus .. But it reminded me a little bit Ambre Sultan instead ...?

Issey Myake is the only one that gave me headache so far. Funny thing is that i have quite often headache, but almost never because of frags. Also, only the EAU gives me headache, i havea the EAU Intense (which i love way more than the normal one btw,) and no headache at all with this one!
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

I very much like Dyptique - L'eau des hesperides but I get a nasty headache after a couple of hours...
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Roc_Xel View Post
    Mike I also tested Gris Clair last week and absolutely loved it. Funny though, I did not find it similar to BB (which I own) at all. BB is so much about citrus .. But it reminded me a little bit Ambre Sultan instead ...?
    Well Roc_Xel - it has been a while since I posted that thread. Since then, two things have happened: 1) I fell in love with Gris Clair, since I finally got a handle on the lavender note and 2) It no longer smells like pine to me...rather it has a very ash-y, burning smoke note.

Weird how your nose evolves, isn't it?

Blog Entries

Eau Sauvage. instant headache.......terrible feeling.....i kinda like the scent, but can't bear to smell it!

There is something in Drakkar Noir that I find so sharp, it almost instantly produces a headache. Since I don't care for the fragrance, it's not worth putting up with the pain.

The fruity notes in Chic/Herrera can induce a headache, especially on a hot day when these notes become very prominent. I like Chic, though, so I guess I'll just carry a small vial of ibuprofen in my pocket.

Slightly off-topic, Antaeus/Chanel makes me mildly asthmatic, but I love the frag. so I still use it. Cough/Gasp
    Last edited by Bossa Nova; 21st August 2008 at 10:23 PM.

Oakmoss and Tonka will commonly cause headaches. Issey is well known as a problem and the Bleue is dangerously synthetic.

Joop ! Nightflight .

I bought a big bottle, only to watch it hid in my drawer. I could never put this stuff on, although I wish I could

Tonka and Umbu give me a headache.

Sadly, jasmine absolute makes me headachey and heavy-headed. I can put the perfumes on and love them, but soon the heavy head begins. Love Bond No. 9 Nuits de Noho, but can't wear it. Just tried Serge Lutens A La Nuit this weekend and oh! So beautiful, but nope, can't wear it. Why don't I get headaches from smelling jasmine flowers?
    Lots of ylang ylang on me will do it, too. I think the original Dolce and Gabbana had it - gave me headaches.
    Acqua di Parma Iris Nobile gave me a headache, but I don't know what does it in there; I don't think it has jasmine or ylang ylang. Shrug.

I absolutely love Guerlain's Heritage, but it always gives me a headache.

CDG2 is getting to the point where it pains me to wear it, hence why I'm selling my bottle.

L'eau d'Issey also gives me a headache, which is a pity, cause it's a nice enough scent. I enjoy yuzu as a note.
    ♦Wishlist♦

Nasomatto - Silver Musk
    Prada - Prada Man/Amber Pour Homme
    Tom Ford - Oud Wood

A L'Artisan Cap (old or new style)

Clothing + Goodies for sale!

You know what , when I was a kid, smell of "honey" gave me headache ... I told my parents that and they did not believe me ...

I thought I was alone at this " headache giving notes / scents " thing ... Ahah , its nice to know that there are others like me ) ...

BTW , whats the reason behind this, too sensitive noses ?.. I've always been curious about this ...
    Last edited by keyn; 22nd August 2008 at 01:33 AM.