Code of Conduct

Default The Real Sandalwood

Before buying a 4ml bottle of pure mysore sandalwood oil, I tried many sandalwood perfumes. I tried Floris Santal, Egoiste, Caswell Massey Tricorn and others. But I knew that something was wrong. These perfumes did not smell like real sandalwood. I know the real smell of sandalwood because an Indian Swami, called Dattatreya, once visited our home in 1990, and he was wearing a sandalwood fragrance. I clearly remembered how creamy real sandalwood was.

So, it was only when I bought the tiny bottle of sandalwood oil that I found the smell that I remembered so well. It is amazing how so many perfumes sell themselves as sandalwood, when in fact they have practically nothing of it.

So, beware: you may think you know what real sandalwood is, but you probably don't!

Default Re: The Real Sandalwood

As can be said about vetiver..

Don't anybody get LuciusVorenus on a silver mountain water kick. He'll need to go get a 4ml vial and tut tut us because his comes from a real mountain of silver.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

P.S. Folks, I bought the oil here:

http://www.purepro.com/553

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusVorenus View Post
    So, it was only when I bought the tiny bottle of sandalwood oil that I found the smell that I remembered so well. It is amazing how so many perfumes sell themselves as sandalwood, when in fact they have practically nothing of it.

So, beware: you may think you know what real sandalwood is, but you probably don't!

I wouldn't say they have practically nothing of it. Most of the perfumes have dozens of ingredients as opposed to a pure non-mixed oil. How do you expect them to smell the same?

And if it is Mysore Sandalwood you bought, and it didn't cost you an arm and a leg, then chances are you *almost* know what real sandalwood smells like without really knowing it :-)
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Oduer 71 didn't smell like Oduer 71 more like 67! They missed a few oduers!

I don't mean it should smell the same. That would be absurd. What I mean is that if you can't capture the sandalwood note, or if the note that you capture has nothing to do with sandalwood, then you are in trouble!

It cost around $27 for a 4ml bottle. That's $675 for 3.3 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by mudassir View Post
    I wouldn't say they have practically nothing of it. Most of the perfumes have dozens of ingredients as opposed to a pure non-mixed oil. How do you expect them to smell the same?

And if it is Mysore Sandalwood you bought, and it didn't cost you an arm and a leg, then chances are you *almost* know what real sandalwood smells like without really knowing it :-)
    Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 22nd August 2008 at 03:24 AM.

Before buying a 4ml bottle of pure mysore sandalwood oil, I tried many sandalwood perfumes. I tried Floris Santal, Egoiste, Caswell Massey Tricorn and others. But I knew that something was wrong. These perfumes did not smell like real sandalwood. I know the real smell of sandalwood because an Indian Swami, called Dattatreya, once visited our home in 1990, and he was wearing a sandalwood fragrance. I clearly remembered how creamy real sandalwood was.

Sounds like what you might mean to tell the board is that you bought 4mls of a sandalwood oil and you love it, it brings a memory to you, and that you're really happy to have it as none of the other products named "santal" or "sandalwood" bring the same delight for you.

Happy for you.
    Last edited by DustB; 22nd August 2008 at 02:56 AM. Reason: I added the quoted material.

Blog Entries

Well, maybe you are interested in a pure straight up sandalwood note with minimal mixing? Have you tried Art of Shaving Sandalwood? Or Elizabeth Arden's? Floris Santal, Egoiste and Tricorn aren't all about Sandalwood only.

Mudassir is certainly correct. 4ml for $27 and you hope you got close to what Mysore sandalwood smells like. It's not too likely it was any closer than the other sandalwood fragrances you mention that have next to no sandalwood.

I certainly appreciate and follow your train of thought but just realize that $27 won't get you close to real Mysore in any significant amount.

Well, maybe the Swami was wearing fake sandalwood then. That would explain everything!

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    Mudassir is certainly correct. 4ml for $27 and you hope you got close to what Mysore sandalwood smells like. It's not too likely it was any closer than the other sandalwood fragrances you mention that have next to no sandalwood.

I certainly appreciate and follow your train of thought but just realize that $27 won't get you close to real Mysore in any significant amount.

Blog Entries

Well, maybe the Swami was wearing fake sandalwood then. That would explain everything!

If it was that long ago, then not necessarily. But most of the Indian Sandalwood selling nowadays is synthetic. That doesn't mean they don't smell good. If its good quality, then only a true afficianado or a trained nose might be able to tell the difference.

Mudassir, would you accept to receive a sample of my sandalwood perfume? I would like to know your opinion about it!

Lucius

That's US$675.00 for 3.3 oz. It is not so cheap...

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post

The sandalwood in Caswell-Massey's Tricorn is Bangalore, not Mysore. I find Bangalore sandalwood to be very sharp, and that might explain your displeasure with it. I'm not convinced that the Bangalore in Tricorn is entirely synthetic, however. The sandalwood in Caswell-Massey's Sandalwood is Mysore, much smoother and creamier. Per the Caswell-Massey website, both of these scents are one-note fragrances.

I'm glad you found one you like. I am a big sandalwood fan myself (both varieties.) I find it incredibly sensual/sexy.

http://www.utvi.com/news/latest-busi...-easy----.html

I've heard it before over the last year many times. There is a sandalwood crisis and the cost of using real sandalwood due to it's rarity is sky high and few if any perfume companies use it anymore.

So the next time you check out the price of a fragrance and think HOLY S%^Q!!!!!$@%@$!!! If the fragrance claims it has real sandalwood you may be getting a bargain.

Cheers,
    Al

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

If you want to know why Mysore sandalwood oil is so rare and incredibly expensive, check out this link and this other one. The best quality wood has become so rare because of poaching and smuggling of an endangered species that it is almost impossible to find in commercial quantities. Trees that have quality oil in exploitable quantities are between 60 and 80 years old; it was being harvested so rapidly that there are almost no trees of this age left in the Mysore growth areas.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Yes, 60 to 80 years waiting for a revenue is a very long time. Most companies cannot wait so long to make a profit. That is why it is being extinguished....

I'm going to close this thread because I don't like arrogant statements like this made at the board and membership. There are things to learn about sandalwood on this thread and readers can read them and learn from them. The rest of the thread and it's direction for the future seems to risk being more about what LuciusVorenus knows. That's not helpful for the membership or the welfare of the forum.

I'll understand if members disagree with this action I take, and I'll be glad to consider any PMs they wish to send me about this.
    Thanks,
    --Chris