Code of Conduct

Default New to fragrances, your opinions on my collection? Suggestions for new ones?

First off, nice to meet you all, I have been browsing the community a bit for a week or so and you are easily the most welcoming internet community I have ever seen. You all always suggest colognes and perfumes I have never really heard of or seen advertised. What I gather is that you'll all hate most of my commercialized designer brand stuff. I like it though and are interested in seeing what you think of my collection and if you have any suggestions that might interest me based on what I like so far. I'm an 18 year old male about to enter college. Obviously a ton goes into getting the girl, but an irresistible scent definitely can't hurt. This is also the order I obtained them in.

Acqua Di Gio - Giorgio Armani

When I got this I wasn't aware it was the most popular, most common, fragrance on the market here in the USA. It was a suggestion by my fashionable gay friend. They do know their stuff when it comes to fashion for the most part I like it on a hot summer day and I get mixed reactions from other people. Doesn't last long at all on me, or if I am hot and sweaty it lasts quite a while and I smell it quite well so I figure maybe it is overbearing? I have the EDT/Shower Gel/Deodorant/Aftershave Balm

Concerto - Fragonard

Picked this up after a Fragonard tour while I was in Paris in April. I have the EDT/Aftershave/Shower gel. I love the stuff, seems a tad fruity but sometimes I am in the mood for that. Mom hates the rest of my stuff, likes this one. One day my coworker came in and would not stop whining about the store smelling like laundry detergent. I'm pretty sure she was picking up on the Concerto.

Fierce - Abercrombie & Fitch

I was at the mall with some girls and we walked by A&F and they started raving about how good it smelled. So I went and picked up a bottle of Fierce. Girls seem to love this stuff. Obviously it isn't a high end fragrance and I never see any of you suggest it, but this gets me the most compliments hands-down. Except from Dad who hates it.

Amber Pour Homme - Prada
    http://www.sephora.com/assets/dyn/pr...P212006_lg.jpg

Heard about it on the net. Liked the design and designer. Went in and smelled it. It was so different, so clean! I bought the gift set that came with a flippin' 3.4 oz EDT. I'll never use it all up ahaha. I have the shower gel and aftershave as well. I haven't worn it too much in public. The girls the other night liked it but they liked to joke that I smelled like a girl. :-\ One of them ironically loves the smell of this other boy who wears Jean Naté all the time. *rolls eyes*

Armani Code - Giorgio Armani

With my weird fascination with the Armani brand, I sniffed this, loved it, and bought it. I have the EDT and Aftershave, ran out of the shower gel. I love it. Smells great. Doesn't last too long, but I wore it with 3 sprays on my chest/ spray on each wrist today and 8 hours later I can still somewhat smell it.

AE77 - American Eagle

Bought this on a whim figuring I'd like it, the sample sniff at the store worked for me. Haven't worn it much, but I've learned it is quite overbearing. I'm not too fond of it anymore either. Last time I wore it I got in a car and my friends were dying from the scent. Windows went right down. It got annoying to me after a while as well. That said, it does have lasting power. This one isn't even in Basenotes I don't think!

Emporio Armani He - Giorgio Armani

This again was spawned from my interest in the Armani brand. After deciding Emporio Armani Diamonds smelled exactly like Armani Code, I went and tracked this down at Sephora. I LOVE it. It's similar to Armani Code to me, but it is different and I like it even more. I'm also interested in what you guys think of Emporio Armani White.

Again, thanks for ANY opinions or suggestions! And I look forward to getting to know you all!

Oh and how do I change my username to NOT my e-mail?! AHHH >.<

Default Re: New to fragrances, your opinions on my collection? Suggestions for new ones?

I can comment on your Armani's and say I like Acqua Di Gio and Code as well. My only complaint on ADG is just the commonality of it, it has a nick name here of being "Acqua Di Conformity" because it is so popular. I can't fault the scent, I love it! I just wish it was not so popular with the high school and college crowd. I noticed Nordstroms was having a special on a huge bottles of ADG not too long ago, this stuff damn near comes in gallon drums now.

Code is very nice, my only complaint here is the scent life, it seems to willow and fade in under 3 hours. Sometimes to get around this I spray heavy but to do this with Code you will essentially have a 25 foot do not enter zone around you for about an hour.

Good choices, keep in mind the faults I pointed out are very common among colognes. I have stuff that costs 3-4 times more than what Code does that does not last any longer and even projects off the skin even less.

Default Re: New to fragrances, your opinions on my collection? Suggestions for new ones?

Hey man, welcome to Basenotes.

Well we don't necessarily hate commercialized designer stuff, it's just that we've outgrown it. Looking at your collection, it's not bad-- it's similar to the stuff most of us probably had when we were your age. It's just that over time, as we get into this hobby, some of us are searching for scents that are unique and classy that ALSO pull the chicks (not everyone though.)

I think the biggest mistake I made in my early days of building a wardrobe was spending too much time buying similar products and buying what was popular and accessible (Armani, RL, Hugo Boss etc), rather than searching for something uncommon and a little bit different. Don't get me wrong nothing wrong with designer stuff-- for a while Emporio Armani He was my favorite fragrance and I still have fond feelings for it--but if you relax and take some time to explore the outer rings of the fragrance world, you'll find some astounding stuff that tickles your nose in ways you haven't yet experienced. it's a fun trip.

I saw on another thread, you raised a question about Kouros smelling like pee. Well, it's a controversial fragrance and it's from another era, and it's not a fragrance that everyone can pull off... However, you need to get a sample of it and test it out. You may not like it today, you may not like it next week, you may NEVER like it, but you have nothing to lose from trying it, and you may find it appealing. You'd be amazed at how many women I've met who love Kouros on a man. It's mind boggling.

Good luck!

Yes, Indie Guy is right... you should try more daring and exotic perfumes. You will certainly like some of them. Be adventurous!

I initially only liked mainstream stuff and found paying a 100 bucks on fragrances to be too much. however, after smelling some of the high end stuff, there's no comparison. The designer fragrances just don't cut it. They have a stronger marketing force behind them so most people only know about them.

Where does one find such $100 fragrances? I'm assuming all this uncommon stuff can't be found at the local Macy's. I'm within reach of a Sephora though and that place is love. Rochester, NY. I also discovered we have some new Ulta Beauty store. Any good?

I'm in Canada so I can't really say where you can find these items in the U.S. However, I found some creeds at Nieman Marcus . they weren't cheap either.

I suggest trying a few samples of high end stuff at theperfumedcourt.com and then buying a full bottle from an online manifacturer such as scentiments.com or fragrancenet.com

but it is different and I like it even more. I'm also interested in what you guys think of Emporio Armani White
    I'm not too high on White . It was the third fragrence I had ever bought, and although I misunderstood the scent itself, it does not wear very well. It does have a certain type of pleasantness, with the predominant citrus notes. Its actually very refreshing and the wood notes are detectable as well ( which I like ). I'm sort of mixed on this one, while a nice scent, I have to assume there are better citrus and summer-type fragrences out there. Not to mention it has poor longevity ( from what I can remember).

Question Re: New to fragrances, your opinions on my collection? Suggestions for new ones?

Hello Everyone--

I'm so new to this and I'm so happy to have found such a wonderful site. I'm still in the mainstream of fragrance purchases but I'm just dying to try something new, unique, and different. My favorite mainstream scents are: Bvlgari Rose & Jasmin, Jean Paul Gaultier Woman, YSL Opium, Estee Lauder Pleasures, Viktor & Rolf FlowerBomb, and Chanel Allure.

So what would you suggest for me to try? What are some of your favorites?

I'm looking to be transformed into a new and exciting world of different scents.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by serenity1380 View Post
    I'm looking to be transformed into a new and exciting world of different scents.
    Hey Serenity - love the nicname! You looking for something different? So was I. Let me knock your socks off on recommendation #1 - The Different Company. It's French niche, but it's done by the daughter of the man who did a lot of the great designer stuff (he did some of their line, too). You can get their sample pack by mail, and the samples are big, two of each, strong scents, and will last you a year, even with heavy rotation. Ten amazing scents. I wore one today (it's on the men's SotD (Scent of the Day) thread. They're unisex, but every single one can be worn confidently by a woman (perhaps less so by men who don't like florals). Check 'em out online: The ≠ Company.

And I almost forgot... Welcome to Basenotes!

PS - to the OP: I love Code too. I found that the new Givenchy Pi Neo is very similar in the base notes, and even the new White Diamonds. They all seem to be aiming at the same sort of powdery drydown. Personally, I love it, but I don't know if I want a bunch of the same scents, so I'm spreading out to new and different things first. I just ordered a bottle of Yatagan. Now that's gonna be different!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    b]The Different Company[/b].
    From this house I'd have to recommend Bois d'Iris, a very good fragrance from this house.
    Last edited by surreality; 29th August 2008 at 03:58 AM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by Mengels View Post
    Where does one find such $100 fragrances? I'm assuming all this uncommon stuff can't be found at the local Macy's. I'm within reach of a Sephora though and that place is love. Rochester, NY. I also discovered we have some new Ulta Beauty store. Any good?
    You need to go to a high end retailer or a specialty perfume store. There are many online sources that you could look at, and a lot of them have a sample program so that you can try before you buy.

www.aedes.com
    www.luckyscent.com
    www.theperfumeshoppe.com
    www.beautyhabit.com
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Thanks for the info Redneck Perfumisto. I just sent The Different Company an e-mail to inquire about samples.

Well I applied like 3 shots of Armani Code to the chest today, and one on each arm. All at the same time I had a guy telling me I had a freaking ton of the stuff on who didn't seem too pleased, and 3 girls telling me I smelled "so good" hahaha So that's a winner in my book. =]

New questions:

I have Fragonard's sampler pack of all their scents and I LOVE the Vetyver one. Any recommendations for a Vetiver scent?

Blog Entries

New questions:

I have Fragonard's sampler pack of all their scents and I LOVE the Vetyver one. Any recommendations for a Vetiver scent?
    I have 2 samples - one I've tried and one I haven't. Both niche houses.

Sel de Vétiver, again, by The Different Company. Don't want to sound like a broken record, but I think it's awesome, and so did Chandler Burr.

Vetyver, by Parfums de Nicolaï. Have the sample but haven't tried it. Parfums Nicolaï is a great niche house, by a Guerlain descendant. People like New York a lot, but I like Pour Homme better.

just a lil thing yozu might wanna try are unisex scents as the un jardin line of hermes.
    they are amazing!intensiv, affordable and u definetely stand out from the crowd.
    i love especially the mediterrean one, even tho it took me a bit of time to appreachiate the stuff.
    since you are a young fellow (as i am) i guess these points might be of use for you.

Ahh.. vetiver. I suggest you try the following

Guerlain Vetiver - a well constructed, clean smelling vetiver that lasts all day and can be found most anywhere for a reasonable price.

Commes des Garcons Vettiveru - this is a woodier and less clean smelling vetiver than the Guerlain. Plus this is really good value; you can get 125mL for about $55 bucks, but it can be harder to find.

Serge Lutens Vetiver Orientale - this is a really unique vetiver and one anyone who loves vetivers needs to try. Who would have thought that vetiver and chocolate would smell so good... This is my vetiver of choice for evening wear or in cooler weather.

Montale Red Vetyver - probably my favorite in the vetiver family. Citrusy and spicy this vetiver lasts forever and has great sillage.

Dunhill Pursuit - similar in some ways to the Montale but not quite as well blended nor does it have the longevity or sillage of Red Vetyver. Still, in and of itself it is a nice fragrance one that if I didn't already own the Montale I would probably buy.

Bois 1920 Vetiver Ambrato - an earthy vetiver on a bed of amber. Very simple but very nice but it could last longer for the price.

Nasomatto Absinth - a really well crafted fragrance that mixes vetiver with wormwood. Absinth is probably the most expensive vetiver on this list but one that you really should check out.
    Last edited by surreality; 29th August 2008 at 03:39 PM.

Dependent

another vote for Guerlain if you like vetyver, tho not a fan myself, ive sampled a couple of vet. from other labels and found Guerlain to be both relatively economical and dependable.

btw nice armani collection, ive yet to sample A&F. how is it like? considering ive used the scents you currently have so i doubt out taste it too far off... thanks!
    Last edited by MFJ; 30th August 2008 at 08:52 AM.