Code of Conduct

Default Lemon - dusty/dry/powdery/sherbet-y

Can someone recommend a lemon scent that's more dry powder than bright freshness? I am thinking of a scent reminiscent of (the UK posters will know what I'm talking about here) sherbet lemons, the hard candies with the powder sherbet in the center, or those tubes of sherbet powder with the black licorice stick to dip into them (the scent of the powder, not the licorice)?
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Default Re: Lemon - dusty/dry/powdery/sherbet-y

Powdery, dry lemon - Philtre d' Amour?? - it has a 'vintage' feel to it - not too bright, but I have a feeling this is more complex than you want.

Shalimar Eau Legere is toned down lemon, but with vanilla; again, not too bright and citrusy.

Are you looking for single note lemon, or frags with lemon as a predominant note?

Trussardi Skin I remember as a lemony musk - it is a nice one.

Hm, if you want sweetness with the lemons (which it sounds like you do) you could try the Fresh Sugar line, especially Sugar Lemon.

Sur la Plage

Habit Rouge or Habit Rouge Legere - if you don't mind them being fragrances targeted to men.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 22nd August 2008 at 06:33 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Just a lemon note most prominent is what I'm looking for, and sweetness is actually something I'm *not* looking for. Sherbet lemons are more tart than sweet (the sherbet centres anyway).

Thanks for the recs, though, I'm going to go see what's around on this site about them...
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

How about The Classic - Love's Fresh Lemon!! Findable on EBay.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

O de Lancome -- tart, dry, dusty, mossy.
    Etro Lemon Sorbet -- dry, slightly spicy, tart.
    Etro Resort -- lemon is NOT shown as one of the notes, although it is definitely there.

How about many classical colognes (Guerlain Eau de Cologne, 4711, Dior Eau Savage, Jean Nate, top mention just a few)?
    Last edited by Twolf; 23rd August 2008 at 01:04 AM.

The new Guerlain Eau de Shalimar is not overly sweet, even though it has some subtle sweetness in the drydown. It does have powder, though.

How about Iskander?

Basenotes Institution

I agree with TWolf - you need to try Lemon Sorbet by Etro.

Allure (not sensuelle) gives a very strong blast of a musty lemon fragrance. The note is listed as "citron zest" so it may be worth sniffing just to see if it falls within the lines of the note you're looking for

I'm not sure about the "sorbet" component, but these are some not-too-sweet lemons:
    Caron Alpona.
    Guerlain Philtre d'Amour.
    Hierbas de Ibiza.
    However, if Twolf has smelled Etro Lemon Sorbet and says it smells like Lemon Sorbet, I believe her.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 23rd August 2008 at 02:12 PM.

Right now I am testing the new Parfum d'Empire Yuzu Fou. It does not list lemon in the notes, but it is a dry lemony fragrance, at least at the start. Verbena is in the notes, and that is more of an herbal lemon scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    How about The Classic - Love's Fresh Lemon!! Findable on EBay.
    I wore it when I was younger and would LOVE to experience that again. But it's $200 and up...and my guess is that it can't possibly have the freshness I loved in it after all these years.

Has anyone bought any LFL from Ebay or anywhere else, and, if so, was it the same?
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

Try Lux by Mona di Orio, the opening of which is like sherbert lemons to me.

I just rememberd, Annick Goutal Eau d'Hadrien also is very lemony. The directory reviewers all got a dry lemon from it--when I tried it, I thought it was a bit more balanced, but not overly sweet.
    Last edited by Asha; 24th August 2008 at 02:23 PM.

Argh, this site is bad for my bank balance. I definitely want to try the Etro. And all the rest. Oh dear.

I found a 1oz of the Love's on eBay for $12 and another for 1.5oz for over $100. Is there any explanation for that? One is specifically listed as 'vintage' and the other is not - has it been reissued?

Thank you again for all the recommendations. On the list they go.

Acqua di parma colonia intensa - lemony and sherberty to my nose. almost fizzy lemons...

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PB101 View Post
    I wore it when I was younger and would LOVE to experience that again. But it's $200 and up...and my guess is that it can't possibly have the freshness I loved in it after all these years.

Has anyone bought any LFL from Ebay or anywhere else, and, if so, was it the same?
    I bought LFL on eBay-- one of the 20 ml bottles, not the really old ones-- and it was nothing short of dreadful. It was not the LFL I remember -- it smelled more like a bathroom cleaner. Weird chemical smell. Obviously not the original formula.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 24th August 2008 at 10:59 PM. Reason: edited size of bottle

Quote Originally Posted by PB101 View Post

Got some last year for my Boss who pronounced it authentic. Try here: http://health-beauty.search.ebay.com...0FreshQ20Lemon

Today I spritzed a combo of Fresh Sugar (that's "Sugar"!!) and B&BW Zestini - which came off just like the citron presse you get in French bistros. Mouth puckering tart and dusty!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze