Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Orange is Safer than Lemon?

One could probably find what one is looking for.

I love Terre d' Hermes, but I notice in the reviews the negatives savage the 'rotten orange' smell.

Looking around my house, I have probably 8 or 9 different cleaners with a lemon scent. None of them smell particularly pleasant. I have only 1 orange scented cleaner. My guess is that the acidic nature of the smell of lemon would mask the harsh cleaner smell more easily than an orange smell.

If I smell a badly done lemon scent, I might associate it with cleaners, since this is where I have previously smelled a bad version of lemon. If I smell an orange scent that leaves much to be desired, I would not get the "cleaner" association simply because orange scented cleaning products are not as common. That doesn't mean I would be more pleased with the orange scent than the lemon.

As to some notes being safer than others, I would say that they are. Lavender is safer than many notes. Ever smelled a lavender that turned your stomach? Worst case scenario that I have found is it might be a bit sharp and unpleasant. As long as you don't hate the smell of lavender to begin with, it is a relatively safe bet. For a less safe note, I don't have to think very hard to conjure up a nauseating vanilla or sneeze inducing pepper.

I can see what you were going for here, and unlike other members I do not see it as a personal attack to try to classify basenoters as a group. Yes, patterns do exist. I think you just discovered that some basenoters are quite afraid of them. It is sad to see people jumping down your throat without attempting to really understand what you are getting at. Some people like to think that they exist outside the pattern, which they do not. Sociology will account for us all in the end, my friends.

I also do not agree with your conclusion, however, as I think I am just as skeptical about orange notes as lemon. If you wish to prove something to this group of individualists (irony intended) then I suggest concrete examples and numbers.
    Last edited by Big_Scooter; 26th August 2008 at 08:59 AM.

Big_Scooter is right... this group of individualists eagerly anticipates your exposition Lucius, demonstrating concrete examples and numbers. Until then, we will keep on being individuals, setting traps for weak little gazelles to walk into whilst poo-pooing the very existence of anything that might even remotely connect us in some way.
    What a big, mean mob we individualists are!

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Sometimes people are so aggressive that I even doubt myself. For a few seconds at least. It is always like this when I mention a pattern, any pattern at BN.

Thanks so much!

Lucius

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Scooter View Post
    I can see what you were going for here, and unlike other members I do not see it as a personal attack to try to classify basenoters as a group. Yes, patterns do exist. I think you just discovered that some basenoters are quite afraid of them. It is sad to see people jumping down your throat without attempting to really understand what you are getting at. Some people like to think that they exist outside the pattern, which they do not. Sociology will account for us all in the end, my friends..
    Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 26th August 2008 at 09:54 AM.

{deleted}
    Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 26th August 2008 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    Cleaning product smelling fragrance would be perfect in places like Europe where they don't clean anything.
    There's a town called Europe in Pennsylvania?
    Currently wearing: Etiquette Bleue by D'Orsay

Cool Re: Orange is Safer than Lemon?

Lucius:

Jut to give you another perspective in the lemon vs orange debate,

I don't like Armani PH, and many other lemon scents that I consider overrated snoozefests.

But here's the problem for me: If I want a great lemon/ lime scent I can have my choice with

(in no patrticular order)

1. Signoricci
    2. Lowe para Hombre
    3. Versace L'Homme
    4. Cerruti 1881
    5. Bowling Green
    6. Habit Rouge
    7. Eau de Rochas Homme

That's just off the top of my head.

I don't care for Eau Sauvage and many others that are well-crafted but just not for me.

Now when it comes to oranges . . .

Well, what?

Clinique Happy is simply not in the same category as the above mentioned frags. Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermes is, but it lasts about 30 min tops on my skin.
    *sigh*
    I guess my best bet so far is Cuir d'Oranger by Miller Harris--an excellent orange/leather scent.

But I missed out on L'Occitane now discontinued orange blossom frag, and I'm still waiting for le petit grain aka sweet orange by Miller Harris to come out--perhaps I could score a decant to see-- or rather smell if it's as good as I imagine it to be.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Wow! I finally peek into this thread with the seemingly innocent title and find a bare-knuckle brawl more befitting of the WWF! Count me in!

I usually take the side of the underdog (that would be you, Lucius). When reading theads or reviews about citrus frags, one routinely runs across at least one comment that compares said frag to Pledge or some other cleaner. Poor Lucius has some issues with hyperbole, so he may have pushed the argument a bit harder than it deserved, but the point is valid.

The difference of course, is that cleaners are comprised of just one or two cheap fragrance components diluted with several bad smelling solvents, surfactants, and other crud, whereas perfumes are composed of scores of expensive, rare, and heavenly smelling ingredients. Only a brain-dead anosmic cretin would confuse the two. So don't fear your vast horde of citrus scents, Lucius. Wear them proudly, and if anyone comes at you with a polishing cloth, give 'em a swift kick in the kumquats.

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusVorenus View Post
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. Sometimes people are so aggressive that I even doubt myself....Lucius
    I find that very, very hard to believe.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 27th August 2008 at 02:21 AM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    There's a town called Europe in Pennsylvania?
    No but there's a

Mars, PA
    Venus, PA
    East Texas, PA
    Berlin, PA
    Dallas, PA
    Moscow, PA

And if you're really adventurous you can travel to these cities in this order:

Virginville to Blue Ball to Bird-in-Hand to Beaverdale to Bangor to Intercourse to Hop Bottom to Hellertown

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    Only a brain-dead anosmic would confuse the two. So don't fear your vast horde of citrus scents, Lucius. Wear them proudly, and if anyone comes at you with a polishing cloth, give 'em a swift kick in the mandarines.
    LOL

Thanks Snafoo! I'll continue to love the citruses as intensely as before.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Scooter View Post
    I can see what you were going for here, and unlike other members I do not see it as a personal attack to try to classify basenoters as a group. Yes, patterns do exist. I think you just discovered that some basenoters are quite afraid of them. It is sad to see people jumping down your throat without attempting to really understand what you are getting at. Some people like to think that they exist outside the pattern, which they do not. Sociology will account for us all in the end, my friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by LuciusVorenus View Post
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. Sometimes people are so aggressive that I even doubt myself. For a few seconds at least. It is always like this when I mention a pattern, any pattern at BN.
    Speaking only for myself, I am not afraid of patterns.

The weekly/monthly/quarterly summaries of the SotD threads disclose patterns in the behavior of the Basenotes community. I post my SotD every day and I look forward to each installment of SMM's analysis.

Patterns based upon fact do not bother me, patterns based upon speculation do concern me.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I think there is a pattern of many people associating citrus/lemon/lime with cleaning products. personally, I like the smell of most cleaning products, soap, detergents, etc. The majority of my fave frags have a prominent citrus note. I'm complimented on those the most, though.

There have been some references to those "urinal cakes" as well, and, I must admit, I have worn the very frags that are identified in this manner and enjoyed them.

Orange tends to be slightly boring to me - not lively enough compared with the lemon lime zestiness. And most orange scents are VERY short lived on my skin - like 15 minutes and they're gone.

That there are lemon and lime EDTs smelling like cleanning products? yes.
    That all lemon and lime EDTs smell bad? No.

IMO. Citrus EDTs can be some of the most elegant and classy edts. To say that Lemon is inferior to orange (or incence, amber, sandalwood, oud, etc)* is more a mater of individual taste, or at least it should be discussed on a case-by-case basis.

FWIW http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=202296
    opinion.

*With the exception of bergamote. That note whoops lemon and orange butt any time, any day.
    Last edited by irish; 26th August 2008 at 08:29 PM.

On a somewhat related note: some people think that citrus frags/EDCs, because of their heavy use of light notes, are less complex than sugary dripping orientals, when its actually the EDCs which are harder to competently compose. See this article by Burr:

http://www.chandlerburr.com/articles/sundaytimes.htm
    -

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Citrus EDTs can be some of the most elegant and classy edts. To say that Lemon is inferior to orange (or incence, amber, sandalwood, oud, etc) is more a mater of individual taste, or at least it should be discussed on a case-by-case basis.[/I]
    I totally agree. These matters should be decided on a case-by-case basis. I do find myself enjoying many citrus-based toiletries containing lemon. However I've found that, in general, I don't like household cleaning products that are orange-scented.