Code of Conduct

Default Orange is Safer than Lemon?

As you know, citruses are my favorite kind of fragrance. They are uplifiting, versatile, refreshing, sharp, sunny and manly. I have many citrus fragrances and I love them all.

But there is something that bothers me. Many people, including basenoters, seem to think that citruses, specially those that have lemon or lime notes, are cheap smelling and inferior fragrances. Invariably, there is always a number of basenoters who say that a perfume with lime/lemon notes smells like floor cleaner or another cleaning product. They say that it is cheap smelling. They say it is not first class.

On the other hand, I have never heard a complaint about orange notes, or notes of other citrus fruits. It seems that only lime and lemon have this bad reputation. Do you agree that lime and lemon take all the blame, and orange is worshipped with much more fervor? Can we say that orange is safer than lemon?
    Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 24th August 2008 at 06:14 PM.

Default Re: Orange is Safer than Lemon?

I don't agree with your analysis or conclusions.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I see what you mean though Lucius. To me its more of a ...Lemon is perceived as "just another citrus scent" where orange gets away with it a bit more. Just an opinion obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusVorenus View Post
    As you know, citruses are my favorite kind of fragrance.
    I didn't know this. Why wasn't I told sooner!!!!????
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 24th August 2008 at 06:44 PM.

The association of lemon and industrial cleaners (even car cleaners use lemon) is most unfortunate for perfume lovers. It's very likely that your baby ass and mine were cleaned with an oil that had a lemon scent. And that's where it all started. The smell of lemon oils is omnipresent and popular even though it may stink in combination with soap or terpentine. But what can we do? The use of orange oil is spreading, too. Environment people found out that it's good for treating wood. I worked with that in my hobby carpenter school. That took part of the magic out of orangey colognes, but I managed to not let that kill my joy completely. Lavender oil is a deluxe thinner for oil painting. That usually smells so good it even added to my delight over pleasant lavender colognes. Narcisso Rodriguez for him has a rather new note that irritated me from the beginning. Just the other day I discovered that same note in a textile softener - grrrr! If I hadn't disliked NR from the start, I might now.

Try and immunize yourself at least against the nasty talk. Let your nose decide! The longer you hang around BN more cliché associations will come under your eyes. I can only advise you not to trust them, and rely on what you smell only. As the music lover you are, has it never disturbed you when Italian pizza commercials use the beginning of a Verdi Aria? It's about as brutal!
    Last edited by narcus; 24th August 2008 at 07:20 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

But there is something that bothers me. Many people, including basenoters, seem to think that citruses, specially those that have lemon or lime notes, are cheap smelling and inferior fragrances. Invariably, there is always a number of basenoters who say that a perfume with lime/lemon notes smells like floor cleaner or another cleaning product. They say that it is cheap smelling. They say it is not first class.
    Lemon/lime done the wrong way ends up smelling like floor cleaner. But witness the lemon in Monsieur Balmain, GFT Trumpers, Bois de Cedrat, or even Armani eau pour homme. Or the lime in GFT West Indian Limes, Virgin Island Water. Or the tangy spicy understones of Crowns Spiced Limes. These all will keep you away from the household cleaner aura..
    -

I don't perceive this, but citrus isn't one of my favorite frag types so maybe I just haven't been paying attention.

On the other hand, I have never heard a complaint about orange notes, or notes of other citrus fruits. It seems that only lime and lemon have this bad reputation. Do you agree that lime and lemon take all the blame, and orange is worshipped with much more fervor? Can we say that orange is safer than lemon?
    Lime and lemon do seem to be very popular in cleaners, air fresheners, etc. Maybe because they are sharp, strong scents that can cover other odors easily? Lemon and lime are commonly used scents in everything; orange, not so much, therefore, I would say yes, maybe orange is a tad safer for a frag note.

I don't know. I suspect I have no idea what i'm talking about.

I can sort of see how you'd come to form that opinion. We're somewhat fickle as a group around here.

There is a near perpetual praise of a scent I own which I consider woefully short lasting - Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermes.

By way of contrast, many of the older lemony woody scents like Homme de Gres and Boucheron Homme are often labelled "old man smell" here, rather than "classic". Although YSL PH usually fairs somewhat better.

And more modern ones like D&G Masculine are just dismissed out of hand, for nebulous reasons I can't fathom.

However, if it's a niche lemon scent like ADP Colonia Assoluta or Etro's Lemon Sorbet, the praise from here is often difficult to contain.

But again, if it's something that smells almost akin to Colonia Assoluta, but doesn't have the ADP name - like Art of Shaving Lemon Essential Oil - the silence is somewhat deafening.
    Renato

I disagree with your analysis....Its hard to generalyze.....I think both are very good and safe, it depends on each fragance in particular.
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disagree. Unless the orange is really well done, I automatically think household cleaners.

I actually don't care for the smell of orange at all. I would take lemon or lime almost any day over orange, even if the orange is done well.

It is true that traditionally lemon is used a lot in laundry detergents and cleaning solvents, but by the same tolken, orange was used a lot in flavouring medications (vitamin tabs, cough syrups and lozenges), so one could argue that both have a long history being used in household products that we have all grown up with.

To the statement that many people believe that lemon used in perfumery denotes a scent that is of an inferior quality, I tend to agree with DustB on this one - absolute rubbish.

Sur la Plage

I don't agree. It all depends on how the fragrance is made. There definitely are some very good lemon fragrances, and some not as good. Just like there are some very good orange fragrances, and some that are not as good.

I happen to think one of the most "first class" scents on the market is Nina Ricci Signoricci (lemon).
    Last edited by petruccijc; 25th August 2008 at 03:48 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Many people, including basenoters, seem to think that citruses, specially those that have lemon or lime notes, are cheap smelling and inferior fragrances. Invariably, there is always a number of basenoters who say that a perfume with lime/lemon notes smells like floor cleaner or another cleaning product. They say that it is cheap smelling. They say it is not first class.
    I must be oblivious, I have never formed that impression of basenoters. I don't recall reading any statements reflecting those views.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

It is not all the basenoters, TwoRoads. Just a good number of them. Read the reviews of the citruses and you will find the comparisons with cleaning products.

Basenotes Institution

I think any note (lemon, orange, cedar, praline, pink pepper, etc) is open to be interpreted by Basenoters (who write reviews) and others as a 'bad association' with some other strong smelling product.

There is no 'safe' note.

Here on Basenotes, I am reminded every day, that many people strongly disagree with my assessment and enjoyment of the fragrances in my wardrobe. This does not impact my enjoyment of them at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I think any note (lemon, orange, cedar, praline, pink pepper, etc) is open to be interpreted by Basenoters (who write reviews) and others as a 'bad association' with some other strong smelling product.

There is no 'safe' note.

Here on Basenotes, I am reminded every day, that many people strongly disagree with my assessment and enjoyment of the fragrances in my wardrobe. This does not impact my enjoyment of them at all.
    Man alive, I sure agree with everything here.

Yes, I know what you mean. But I am not saying that there are absolutes. There are no completely safe and no completely unsafe notes. But I believe that there are notes that are safer than others, on average.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

There is no 'safe' note.

Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 25th August 2008 at 02:26 PM.

Yes, I know what you mean. But I am not saying that there are absolutes. There are no completely safe and no completely unsafe notes. But I believe that there are notes that are safer than others, on average.

Safer? As in etiquette wise? As in avoiding a social faux pas?

Naaaa, don't think you're right about lemon lime orange or any other citrus this way. Don't think you're right.

I mean safer in the sense that the note is better appreciated by other people. It is just a way of saying that people like it more and/or complain less about it.

Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 25th August 2008 at 02:35 PM.

I mean safer in the sense that the note is better appreciated by other people. It is just a way of saying that people like it more and/or complain less about it.

Same thing. Readers understand what's going on here.

Guys, try to understand my perspective. A scientific mind is always trying to find patterns. Patterns are relations between variables that, "on average", are significant and exist in a population. By reading the reviews, I have the impression that there is a pattern regarding the appreciation of Lemon/Lime versus Orange notes. One note seems to be more accepted than the other. I might be wrong, it is an impression based on a small sample. To be more certain, I would have to do an empirical study and collect data from many basenoters.

But to say that every pattern is just "a silly stereotype" is not always the best approach. There ARE patterns.... they do exist! Finding patters is what science (including social science) is all about. That is why companies do so much research before launching a product. They spend fortunes doing it. it is worth it.
    Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 25th August 2008 at 02:51 PM.

Guys, try to understand my perspective. A scientific mind is always trying to find patterns. Patterns are relations between variables that, "on average", are significant and exist in a population. By reading the reviews, I have the impression that there is a pattern regarding the appreciation of Lemon/Lime versus Orange notes. One note seems to be more accepted than the other. I might be wrong, it is an impression based on a small sample. To be more certain, I would have to do an empirical study and collect data from many basenoters.

But to say that every pattern is just "a silly stereotype" is not always the best approach. There ARE patterns.... they do exist! Finding patters is what science (including social science) is all about. That is why companies do so much research before launching a product. They spend fortunes doing it. it is worth it.
    Well members have answered your question and there's a plain obvious response to it present here before you on this thread. Need I say "mumbo jumbo" with regard to your throwing comparisons to scientific mind and corporate research?

If there's a faux pas in your mind associated with certain citrus scents (oooo, guys, which will be safer for me to wear? I'm so concerned with what's safer!) then it's a faux pas that originates in your head.
    Last edited by DustB; 25th August 2008 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Idiot that I am I forgot to include the quotation.

I think Lucius, that when making statements such as this:

"Many people, including basenoters, seem to think that citruses, specially those that have lemon or lime notes, are cheap smelling and inferior fragrances."

... they are totally unfounded. It appears to me as if you are attempting to promote your own opinions by presenting them as those shared by "many people". The answers in this thread may also only represent a small sample of members, but the "pattern" we see emerging here is that you're a bit off the mark. Agree?

I am sorry, I didn't mean to be a nuissance. It was just my impression from reading the reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Well members have answered your question and there's a plain obvious response to it present here before you on this thread. Need I say "mumbo jumbo" with regard to your throwing comparisons to scientific mind and corporate research?

If there's a faux pas in your mind associated with certain citrus scents (oooo, guys, which will be safer for me to wear? I'm so concerned with what's safer!) then it's a faux pas that originates in your head.

I am sorry, ...
    Accepted!

Now get out of yourself and get involved in threads started by other people.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Cleaning product smelling fragrance would be perfect in places like Europe where they don't clean anything.

what about allure blanche ie?sure many maybe dislike it but noone can say its actually cheap smelling.
    take i as a challenge-u only gotta find the real good lemon ones, if they work with ur chemistry heads will turn and thats cos of all the other positive attributes of lemony scents that u have listed in the beginning.

haha, or my subjective oppinion about that is cos of sirslartys point^^

I think Lemon can get a bad rap due to the amount of "lemon fresh" cleaners out there. But I think Rose gets it even worse, since there are so many really cheap rose scents out there that aren't even cleaners..

One could probably find what one is looking for.

I love Terre d' Hermes, but I notice in the reviews the negatives savage the 'rotten orange' smell.

Looking around my house, I have probably 8 or 9 different cleaners with a lemon scent. None of them smell particularly pleasant. I have only 1 orange scented cleaner. My guess is that the acidic nature of the smell of lemon would mask the harsh cleaner smell more easily than an orange smell.

If I smell a badly done lemon scent, I might associate it with cleaners, since this is where I have previously smelled a bad version of lemon. If I smell an orange scent that leaves much to be desired, I would not get the "cleaner" association simply because orange scented cleaning products are not as common. That doesn't mean I would be more pleased with the orange scent than the lemon.

As to some notes being safer than others, I would say that they are. Lavender is safer than many notes. Ever smelled a lavender that turned your stomach? Worst case scenario that I have found is it might be a bit sharp and unpleasant. As long as you don't hate the smell of lavender to begin with, it is a relatively safe bet. For a less safe note, I don't have to think very hard to conjure up a nauseating vanilla or sneeze inducing pepper.

I can see what you were going for here, and unlike other members I do not see it as a personal attack to try to classify basenoters as a group. Yes, patterns do exist. I think you just discovered that some basenoters are quite afraid of them. It is sad to see people jumping down your throat without attempting to really understand what you are getting at. Some people like to think that they exist outside the pattern, which they do not. Sociology will account for us all in the end, my friends.

I also do not agree with your conclusion, however, as I think I am just as skeptical about orange notes as lemon. If you wish to prove something to this group of individualists (irony intended) then I suggest concrete examples and numbers.
    Last edited by Big_Scooter; 26th August 2008 at 08:59 AM.

Big_Scooter is right... this group of individualists eagerly anticipates your exposition Lucius, demonstrating concrete examples and numbers. Until then, we will keep on being individuals, setting traps for weak little gazelles to walk into whilst poo-pooing the very existence of anything that might even remotely connect us in some way.
    What a big, mean mob we individualists are!

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Sometimes people are so aggressive that I even doubt myself. For a few seconds at least. It is always like this when I mention a pattern, any pattern at BN.

Thanks so much!

Lucius

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Scooter View Post
    I can see what you were going for here, and unlike other members I do not see it as a personal attack to try to classify basenoters as a group. Yes, patterns do exist. I think you just discovered that some basenoters are quite afraid of them. It is sad to see people jumping down your throat without attempting to really understand what you are getting at. Some people like to think that they exist outside the pattern, which they do not. Sociology will account for us all in the end, my friends..
    Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 26th August 2008 at 09:54 AM.

{deleted}
    Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 26th August 2008 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    Cleaning product smelling fragrance would be perfect in places like Europe where they don't clean anything.
    There's a town called Europe in Pennsylvania?
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Cool Re: Orange is Safer than Lemon?

Lucius:

Jut to give you another perspective in the lemon vs orange debate,

I don't like Armani PH, and many other lemon scents that I consider overrated snoozefests.

But here's the problem for me: If I want a great lemon/ lime scent I can have my choice with

(in no patrticular order)

1. Signoricci
    2. Lowe para Hombre
    3. Versace L'Homme
    4. Cerruti 1881
    5. Bowling Green
    6. Habit Rouge
    7. Eau de Rochas Homme

That's just off the top of my head.

I don't care for Eau Sauvage and many others that are well-crafted but just not for me.

Now when it comes to oranges . . .

Well, what?

Clinique Happy is simply not in the same category as the above mentioned frags. Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermes is, but it lasts about 30 min tops on my skin.
    *sigh*
    I guess my best bet so far is Cuir d'Oranger by Miller Harris--an excellent orange/leather scent.

But I missed out on L'Occitane now discontinued orange blossom frag, and I'm still waiting for le petit grain aka sweet orange by Miller Harris to come out--perhaps I could score a decant to see-- or rather smell if it's as good as I imagine it to be.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Wow! I finally peek into this thread with the seemingly innocent title and find a bare-knuckle brawl more befitting of the WWF! Count me in!

I usually take the side of the underdog (that would be you, Lucius). When reading theads or reviews about citrus frags, one routinely runs across at least one comment that compares said frag to Pledge or some other cleaner. Poor Lucius has some issues with hyperbole, so he may have pushed the argument a bit harder than it deserved, but the point is valid.

The difference of course, is that cleaners are comprised of just one or two cheap fragrance components diluted with several bad smelling solvents, surfactants, and other crud, whereas perfumes are composed of scores of expensive, rare, and heavenly smelling ingredients. Only a brain-dead anosmic cretin would confuse the two. So don't fear your vast horde of citrus scents, Lucius. Wear them proudly, and if anyone comes at you with a polishing cloth, give 'em a swift kick in the kumquats.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Sometimes people are so aggressive that I even doubt myself....Lucius
    I find that very, very hard to believe.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 27th August 2008 at 02:21 AM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    There's a town called Europe in Pennsylvania?
    No but there's a

Mars, PA
    Venus, PA
    East Texas, PA
    Berlin, PA
    Dallas, PA
    Moscow, PA

And if you're really adventurous you can travel to these cities in this order:

Virginville to Blue Ball to Bird-in-Hand to Beaverdale to Bangor to Intercourse to Hop Bottom to Hellertown

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    Only a brain-dead anosmic would confuse the two. So don't fear your vast horde of citrus scents, Lucius. Wear them proudly, and if anyone comes at you with a polishing cloth, give 'em a swift kick in the mandarines.
    LOL

Thanks Snafoo! I'll continue to love the citruses as intensely as before.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Scooter View Post
    I can see what you were going for here, and unlike other members I do not see it as a personal attack to try to classify basenoters as a group. Yes, patterns do exist. I think you just discovered that some basenoters are quite afraid of them. It is sad to see people jumping down your throat without attempting to really understand what you are getting at. Some people like to think that they exist outside the pattern, which they do not. Sociology will account for us all in the end, my friends.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. Sometimes people are so aggressive that I even doubt myself. For a few seconds at least. It is always like this when I mention a pattern, any pattern at BN.
    Speaking only for myself, I am not afraid of patterns.

The weekly/monthly/quarterly summaries of the SotD threads disclose patterns in the behavior of the Basenotes community. I post my SotD every day and I look forward to each installment of SMM's analysis.

Patterns based upon fact do not bother me, patterns based upon speculation do concern me.

I think there is a pattern of many people associating citrus/lemon/lime with cleaning products. personally, I like the smell of most cleaning products, soap, detergents, etc. The majority of my fave frags have a prominent citrus note. I'm complimented on those the most, though.

There have been some references to those "urinal cakes" as well, and, I must admit, I have worn the very frags that are identified in this manner and enjoyed them.

Orange tends to be slightly boring to me - not lively enough compared with the lemon lime zestiness. And most orange scents are VERY short lived on my skin - like 15 minutes and they're gone.

That there are lemon and lime EDTs smelling like cleanning products? yes.
    That all lemon and lime EDTs smell bad? No.

IMO. Citrus EDTs can be some of the most elegant and classy edts. To say that Lemon is inferior to orange (or incence, amber, sandalwood, oud, etc)* is more a mater of individual taste, or at least it should be discussed on a case-by-case basis.

FWIW http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=202296
    opinion.

*With the exception of bergamote. That note whoops lemon and orange butt any time, any day.
    Last edited by irish; 26th August 2008 at 08:29 PM.

On a somewhat related note: some people think that citrus frags/EDCs, because of their heavy use of light notes, are less complex than sugary dripping orientals, when its actually the EDCs which are harder to competently compose. See this article by Burr:

http://www.chandlerburr.com/articles/sundaytimes.htm
    -

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Citrus EDTs can be some of the most elegant and classy edts. To say that Lemon is inferior to orange (or incence, amber, sandalwood, oud, etc) is more a mater of individual taste, or at least it should be discussed on a case-by-case basis.[/I]
    I totally agree. These matters should be decided on a case-by-case basis. I do find myself enjoying many citrus-based toiletries containing lemon. However I've found that, in general, I don't like household cleaning products that are orange-scented.