Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Black Aoud - Coming 180...

So this morning was my first time out with Black Aoud, as I applied it I could immediately detect it from a good distance. That juice is also BRIGHT yellow, I'm afraid it may stain white clothing! Anyway the opening of it was almost enough for me to call the whole thing off. Maybe I just don't see the appeal in aoud, but it was somewhere between sterilized gauze and citronella bug spray. An hour or two later, however, it progressed very nicely and is becoming more agreeable the more I smell it. I've also received two compliments on it in about 4 hours which is much better than average. They agreed with me, however, when I invited them to smell it on my wrist; it's much better from a distance than up close.

This will eventually lead to my final sampling of M7 but one thing with Black Aoud is I'm reminded of something on the drydown, something significantly cheaper and that is L'Occitane Notre Flore Cedre. I'm pretty familiar with it from the weeks I hang out with a girl that works there and I'm comfortable with saying that once Black Aoud progressed off of that bitter oud note they're dead ringers for each other.

The niche sampling has been a blast thus far, I'm going to try to do writeups tonight on the ones I've tried so far (Black Aoud, L'air du Desert Marocain, Santal Noble, and Tea For Two).
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Default Re: Black Aoud - Coming 180...

I experience oud the same way you do. I didn't give any of the Montale ouds a chance to progress because of this. However, Black Aoud struck me as more tolerable than most of them. Maybe a wearing is in order. (I also get the same caustic gases feeling from cdg guerilla 1, but way worse)

Blog Entries

Black Aoud's progressed a bit more since writing that, the immediate connection to L'Occitane Cedar is gone but there's still something there. Overall it's much more pleasant now than when I first applied it.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Basenotes Institution

So, what's the final analysis of BA, Bluesoul?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    So, what's the final analysis of BA, Bluesoul?
    Yes, Inquiring minds want to know. I am on the fence about this, or Rose Petals or Damascus. I have ruled out (if I don't start dithering again) Queens Roses and Attar. It is one of these three or Paestum Rose for me.

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    Yes, Inquiring minds want to know. I am on the fence about this, or Rose Petals or Damascus. I have ruled out (if I don't start dithering again) Queens Roses and Attar. It is one of these three or Paestum Rose for me.
    I need to try out Aoud Roses Petals and Aoud Damscus, but I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that I'll have to buy Black Aoud, No.88 and Paestum Rose. They're all excellent!

Blog Entries

I will say the longer I stuck with Black Aoud, the more palatable it became. It's still detectable on my clothes some 36 hours later which is damn good, and I got about 12 hours on skin. While the first hour or so was off-putting to me, it got compliments and the more I wore it the more I grew to like it. Would I personally buy a bottle? No, not right now anyway. I'm writing my mini-reviews now on my blog before my memory gets any hazier.

Bottom line is it's a very daring fragrance, and making me want to give the Aoud Lime a try as well.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    I will say the longer I stuck with Black Aoud, the more palatable it became. It's still detectable on my clothes some 36 hours later which is damn good, and I got about 12 hours on skin. While the first hour or so was off-putting to me, it got compliments and the more I wore it the more I grew to like it. Would I personally buy a bottle? No, not right now anyway. I'm writing my mini-reviews now on my blog before my memory gets any hazier.

Bottom line is it's a very daring fragrance, and making me want to give the Aoud Lime a try as well.
    Glad you 'stuck with it' D.

I wore Black Aoud to dinner with my aunt this past weeknight. Hot as hell, we (for some strange reason) decided to dine alfresco. Funny that, in the humidity, this scent had a tad less sillage but the same insane longevity (smelled it on my arm the next morning - after a shower).
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 28th August 2008 at 09:51 PM.

Checked out the reviews on your blog - well written and enjoyable, thanks!

I'm looking forward to your review of Antidote .
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Checked out the reviews on your blog - well written and enjoyable, thanks!

I'm looking forward to your review of Antidote .
    Hey thanks! I'm taking it a bit more seriously these days, I've got 6 more niche reviews to go and then I think another 27 out of my wardrobe, trying to have them all done by the end of September. It'll be a tall order but if I can stay with it at about one a day and maybe knock a few out on days off I'll meet my goal. I'll try to bump Antidote up the line some.

EDIT: When the experiment's over I'm gonna make a recap thread with all the reviews.
    Last edited by bluesoul; 29th August 2008 at 04:59 PM.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp