Code of Conduct

Default Help me pick samples to order! Thanks

I'm new to fragrances. I'm going to order samples to get started and test out all these awesome frag's that everybody on here reviews.

I'm a 20 year old male and live in SoCal. It is almost always warm here but cools down for a short while in the fall/winter, I think this would be important when choosing frag's.

These are the frag's I have now, none of which I purchased or requested. A and F Fierce, Calvin Klein Truth, and ...Aqua Di Gio. I like Fierce but everybody has it and girls automatically know what it is = boring. Truth is alright at best. Nothing needs to be said about ADG.

These are the samples I am going to order: L'air du Desert Marocain, GIT, and SMW. Was also thinking about L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme but think it might be in the same category as Fierce and Truth and I am tired of those.

What would you recommend?

What site has the least inexpensive samples?
    Last edited by Mires; 25th August 2008 at 02:06 AM.

Default Re: Help me pick samples to order! Thanks

Some BNers, like myself, have many samples to swap or sell, so that would be the cheapest way to go, because we try them out for ourselves, obviously, and don't expect to get more than about half of what the stores are charging if we sell (I prefer to swap, but some people don't really have anything to swap). Take a look in the swap or sales forums here.

Post Thanks / Like

Where are you ordering samples from? This makes a big difference...

Don't get hung up on the Creeds.

What I've been doing during the process of ordering about 60 samples in the last three weeks, is going through Luckyscent.com and beautyhabit.com, looking at the fragrance descriptions, and keeping a list. Also, www.aedes.com lets you pick 7 samples for $15, and beautyencounter's sample page is pretty extensive as well.

Also, before you order samples of either L'artisan or Bond No 9, know that you can order free samples from both of those companies (you pay shipping). For L'artisan you can go to their website and order 5 samples for $7 (they give you a huge catalog with your order). Bond 9 you have to call, and you get 6 samples for $10 shipping. For Montale orders click on the deal at the top of this page. A very kind BN member is doing 10 samples for $18, including shipping.

To let you know what I've been sampling and enjoying, I've been sampling fragrance by Parfumerie Generale, Serge Lutens, Chanel (exclusifs), Dyptique, Escentric Molecules, Parfums 01630, Comme des Garcons, L'artisan, and Etro.

It's tough to tell what you'd like based on what you have. I'd say pick a 1-2 fragrances per category - citrus, 'cuir' (leather), 'bois' (wood), floral (i.e. iris), gourmand (i.e. vanilla), etc. This way you'll experience different styles from different houses.

My only problem now is deciding what to buy!

Out of the many samples I've tried recently, the ones I'd consider buying are Sweet Absinthe and Imperial Opoponax, so don't get discouraged if you try a bunch but only like 1 or 2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you liked AdG but want something a bit more distinctive, try Bulgari Aqua Pour Homme. It's an aquatic that actually smells aquatic - and also peppery - sort of like the Polo of aquas.

L'Eau d'Issey PH is a nice scent. I think it's light like the ones you mention, but a bit more interesting. It's pleasing to other people in close situations, like AdG.

A few trips to Sephora can be a good way to find the kinds of scents that you might like. And they will prepare 2 or 3 nice sized samples of your top candidates for free. Selection is limited to major and minor designers, but it's a good way to cover those. Try a dozen on paper, and the top contenders on your arms. Walk out empty-handed or with only samples, and come back if something grabs you.

BeautyHabit.com has some very nice niche houses and a great sampler program. The samples are tiny, but adequate for 2 wears. I think it's like 6 for $15, and they usually throw in a few more of your alternates. New York by Parfums Nicolai and Miller-Harris Feuilles de Tabac were two I liked from there.

You've got some great samples picked already. No worries! And if you get a chance to sample Kenzo Power in So Cal, do it for me. It's supposed to be great. Here in Outer Cowtown, it's totally unavailable.

Lots of good advice from previous posters, too.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD
    Best advice anybody has ever given anybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Where are you ordering samples from? This makes a big difference...
    I was looking at theperfumedcourt.com simply because they carry Desert Marocain AND Creed so I would not have to order from separate sites. But If it comes down to choosing, I would rather have the Desert Marocain.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Best advice anybody has ever given anybody else.
    As far as Creed goes, I just want to sample the hype.

Thanks for all the advice

Post Thanks / Like

Seeing that your in So Cal it may be worth your while to go to the Scent Bar.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

I've tried the three you mentioned you wanted to try (L'air du Desert Marocain, GIT, and SMW). Out of those three I liked SMW the most. L'air du Desert Marocain smelt kinda "wierd" to me and I just couldn't get myself to like it that much. I've tried it over and over again because many people here like it, but I've given it up now. I also had to try GIT after all the hype, but I didn't really like it, was disappointed. It felt too soapy for me, though my female friend thought it smelled nice. Tried GIT on one wrist and SMW on my other wrist three days in a row, and SMW won every time.

good luck

Post Thanks / Like

First, get over to Sephora or go to any mall with a Macy's or a decent perfume store. I live in SoCal and i have yet to encounter a mall where there is not, at least, one store with testers out in the open for you to spray on yourself. If the SA's start to hassle you then tell them you need to take your time and look, sometimes if you say i want a "vanilla" scent they may hound you and attempt to get you to try all their "new stuff," but, be polite, and tell them you wanna roll solo on this. You may not even have to spend the $$ on samples if you can find something in the mall. Also, check out Scentbar in SoCal, they are actually really helpful and not in a bad way like the SA's at Sephora who don't know much about fragrances.

In summary, dont bother ordering samples online, put some leg work in first, your a young guy, even better, take a nice lady friend with you and have her help you pick a scent. Back in college, when i had many women in my rotation of friends, i would always take a woman shopping with me, especially ones i liked because it was kind of like a date but without the pressure.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 27th August 2008 at 04:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome Mires Try them ALL...

You might want to visit Lucky Scent as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post
    First, get over to Sephora or go to any mall with a Macy's or a decent perfume store. I live in SoCal and i have yet to encounter a mall where there is not, at least, one store with testers out in the open for you to spray on yourself. If the SA's start to hassle you then tell them you need to take your time and look, sometimes if you say i want a "vanilla" scent they may hound you and attempt to get you to try all their "new stuff," but, be polite, and tell them you wanna roll solo on this. You may not even have to spend the $$ on samples if you can find something in the mall. Also, check out Scentbar in SoCal, they are actually really helpful and not in a bad way like the SA's at Sephora who don't know much about fragrances.

In summary, dont bother ordering samples online, put some leg work in first, your a young guy, even better, take a nice lady friend with you and have her help you pick a scent. Back in college, when i had many women in my rotation of friends, i would always take a woman shopping with me, especially ones i liked because it was kind of like a date but without the pressure.
    Cool, good advice thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really new to this stuff and I have no real basis for this other than I'm a sucker for the Armani name, but I'm going to order samples of their new niche expensive fragrances, Vetiver Babylone and Oranger Allhambra (Probably spelled one of those wrong) from ThePerfumedCourt.com

I'd try something from Maitre Perfumer et Gantier. As a house they are just completely different than anything else out there - much rawer and more natural smelling. You may hate it, you may love it, but it's worth knowing these kind of perfumes exist. I'd recommend:

Iris Bleu Gris if you want something slightly elegant but not so formal that you'd feel odd wearing it to anything but special occasions

Route du Vetiver if you want a very powerful take on vetiver. This will shock you and you may hate it. It's a very powerful and earthy scent. Quite true to the real smell of vetiver. Even if you hate it, you'll know what true vetiver smells like after wearing this .

Centaure if you like lavender and mint. A very cold fragrance that can easily be worn in summer, although has more substance and depth than aquatic frags and the like.

Sanguine Muskissime or Fraicheur Muskissime - both of these end on a clean musky base that has a hint of bitterness. Sanguine muskissime introduces blood orange and grapefruit into the top and heart for a truly beautiful accord. Fraicheur goes a different route with lemons and light berries in the top/heart.

There are others from the house that are highly recommend (Ambre Preceiux, Santal Noble, Parfum d'Habit) but I don't think they'd work so well in that weather. I've not tried them though (yet) so I can't comment further. Two that are highly recommended that may work in your weather are Pour le Jeune Homme and Bahiana. Check the directory for more opinions of them.

I just think this house is worlds apart from anything else out there and it's worth sampling from.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Post Thanks / Like

Where in SoCal are you? Are you anywhere close to West Hollywood? If so you should go over there, you can hit ScentBar, Fred Segal and Santa Maria Novella and test things out in person. I know that ScentBar will make you up samples there,

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by MFJ; 20th November 2009 at 07:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Goodness, I can't give the quality of advise of these other members but what I like, on a man, is Chanel Égoïste. Iv'e been wanting to try Muscs Koublaï Khän, why don't you try it for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mires, you may wanna try a sampler pack from Bond No. 9, it costs $10.00 and is totally worth it coming with 6 decent size samples and you get to pick your 6 allowing you to review the scents in the directory based upon reviews and choose any 6 to your liking. If you need Bond No. 9's contact information PM me, as it is not available on its website.

**PS, Mires, join our Los Angeles BN'er group as i am trying to organize a meeting in SoCal within the next 2 months.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 5th September 2008 at 02:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    id suggest bvlgari extreme as well, I guess a good mix of niche and mainstreeam sampling(if u manage a decant, wear over a week or so,coz sometimes its hard to tell if the scent really appeals from just a single wear.) would allow for better personal judegement. Enjoy the fun Mires
    Thanks, I've been wanting to sample Bvlgari Aqva and I'll get around to it now.

Quote Originally Posted by DebraJean View Post
    Goodness, I can't give the quality of advise of these other members but what I like, on a man, is Chanel Égoïste. Iv'e been wanting to try Muscs Koublaï Khän, why don't you try it for me.
    From the reviews on here about MKK... I will smell like walking sex. This sounds excellent, but I'm not sure if this is something I would wear. Musk for a young man like myself?

Quote Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post
    Hey Mires, you may wanna try a sampler pack from Bond No. 9, it costs $10.00 and is totally worth it coming with 6 decent size samples and you get to pick your 6 allowing you to review the scents in the directory based upon reviews and choose any 6 to your liking. If you need Bond No. 9's contact information PM me, as it is not available on its website.

**PS, Mires, join our Los Angeles BN'er group as i am trying to organize a meeting in SoCal within the next 2 months.
    PM sent. Which Bond's would you suggest?