Code of Conduct

Default Revisiting an old favourite : Would you?

Back in the 90s, I was in love with this particular perfume, I owned and used up 3 full size bottles of it. I was a bit upset to know that it has been discontinued and no longer in production before 2000. I didn't make it in time to get my 4th bottle. But I quickly moved on to other great fragrances that came my way.

Today, I saw it in a shop, probably really old stocks from before. My heart was stirred once again. Should I? I asked for a sample spray, it still smells like it did before. But going by my strong collection of 80 over bottles of perfume right now. Where would this old favourite stand?

Should I buy it for remembrance sake? Would you?
    Or should I just move on?

It's VERSUS UOMO if you are wondering.

Default Re: Revisiting an old favourite : Would you?

Recently, I sampled Versus Uomo for the first time. I bought a bottle on the spot.

Buy it, what's another bottle among friends?
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 25th August 2008 at 01:06 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Fragrances are like music and can stir the imagination and bring back memories of years gone by.

If your old favorite will put a smile on your face thinking about pleasant memories from your past why would you not want a bottle?

It is not the destination but the journey that enriches our lives

Smile Re: Revisiting an old favourite : Would you?

I should imagine.. You will give in to temptation eventually.. why prolong the agony.. invest in a bottle!

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

Basenotes Institution

You are preaching to the choir here...of course we're going to say BUY IT!

Just do it...
    - A spritz of Caron may be quite continental, but (a flacon of) Guerlain is a perfumisto's best friend...

Sur la Plage

Do it!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Fahrenheit is like that for me. I must get around to scoring a bottle...

btw, go for it

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I had to think about this a while before answering.

On one level I say you must get your favorite! In my early scent gathering 25 years ago I bought Guerlain's Vetiver and Habit Rouge and wore them in great delight, along with Halston Z-14 and 1-12.

When I re-found my enjoyment of scents I bought bottles of all of them because I, well, loved and love 'em. So one should get an old favorite on that principle sure.

But there was a time when I wore only Eau Sauvage Extreme, and a year or so after that a time when I only wore Drakkar Noir.

I love those scents, but I don't wear them. They smell of the time when I wore them, to me, and have a very strong control of memories and associations from them and I don't want to lose that quality that comes with smelling those scents. I don't want to mix experience of the present with smelling them, I mean. Fine to take a sniff out of the bottle to remember great times, but I don't want to kill the delightful associations.

So those I don't revisit. Love 'em, but, well, you know.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

For some reason, it (maybe the memories it associates with) is calling to you, so get it.

However, I bet you won't wear it much, if at all.

Give in to the need for now, but I think ultimately you'll realize it's time to move on.

"Memries,
    Light the corners of my mind,
    Misty water-colored memories
    Of the way we were.
    Scattered pictures,
    Of the smiles we left behind.
    Smiles we gave to one another
    For the way we were.
    Can it be that it was all so simple then?
    Or has time re-written every line?
    If we had the chance to do it all again
    Tell me, would we? could we?

Memries, may be beautiful and yet
    Whats too painful to remember
    We simply choose to forget
    So its the laughter
    We will remember
    Whenever we remember...
    The way we were...
    The way we were..."
    (B. Streisand)

Oh yes, I revisit them every time. No such thing for me to let anything interfere with my love for fragrances (same for music.)

I still have fragrances I wore in the 70's in rotation, so why not?

Hahaha.
    This is exactly the place I need to be at to garner support and justifications for my insatiable hunger for scents! I'm picking it up later! Thanks guys.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I love those scents, but I don't wear them. They smell of the time when I wore them, to me, and have a very strong control of memories and associations from them and I don't want to lose that quality that comes with smelling those scents. I don't want to mix experience of the present with smelling them, I mean. Fine to take a sniff out of the bottle to remember great times, but I don't want to kill the delightful associations.
    --Chris
    Chris, that's a very very good point. I have very strong memories associated with Charlie Red & Victoria Secret's Strawberries & Champagne (back in my high school days). I take the occasional whiff of Charlie Red when I see a bottle on display, & one of my co-workers has the Strawberries & Champagne lotion she sometimes uses. However, if I were to buy these two scents again & wear them regularly, would wearing them again in my current settings (work, the occasional night out, running errands, etc) override my "scent memories" of magical times having fun with my amazing friends as a carefree teen? Maybe they would. I think I'd rather stick with an occasional whiff.

Just my $.02, spawny. Since I know Charlie Red & Strawberries & Champagne are readily available & I can sniff them anytime I can see how it would be different with a frag that's hard to come by. And like you said, you have a big collection so it's not like you'd wear it a lot. I say get it.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

This thread has got me thinking... when I was in my teenage years, right after I stopped wearing stuff like Preferred Stock, and before I graduated to Hugo Boss/Armani stuff-- I remember I picked up this cheap little bottle of unisex cologne (at a Sam Goody record store lol!) called "Melrose Place" and it was a product tie-in with the TV show. I never saw a single episode of the show (before or after), but I liked the way this fragrance smelled. So I wore it until I used the bottle up and got a lot of compliments. I didn't really think much about it until I saw this thread... Man, I'm going to have to find an old bottle of this and buy it. Simple as that.

Also Versus Uomo is good stuff. I had to get a bottle of it last year based on all the good stuff I'd read.

buy it.. if it gives you nostalgia only then it's worth it!

I haven't been into frags long enough to have old favorites. I really liked David Beckham Instinct and Cool Water before I plunged into the rabbit hole, and I still enjoy them today. Admittedly, Instinct doesn't seem quite so manly and rugged as it once did...