7 10.45%
  • Philosykos

30 44.78%
  • Tam Dao

36 53.73%
  • Virgilio

10 14.93%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Default POLL : "Dissecting Diptyque" your selection of the best of Dyptique scents

Your selection of the best of Dyptique scents,

Default Re: POLL : "Dissecting Diptyque" your selection of the best of Dyptique scents

Any comments on longevity of Diptyques in general?

Default Re: POLL : "Dissecting Diptyque" your selection of the best of Dyptique scents

I expect that Tam Dao will win by a landslide.

Most last quite well. Tam Dao is the only one that I've had longevity issues with. Why isn't there a Tam Dao candle?????
    Eau Lente is my top pick, followed by Virgilio.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 25th August 2008 at 05:38 PM.

Philosykos and L'Ombre dans L'Eau.

Sur la Plage

None - I haven't found any I have been thrilled with.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 25th August 2008 at 05:51 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Thumbs up Re: POLL : "Dissecting Diptyque" your selection of the best of Dyptique scents

Missing L'EAU DES HESPERIDES, L'EAU DE NEROLI and L'EAU DE L'EAU...

Blog Entries

Virgilio would be my number one, followed by Opone. Tam Dao is really good too, but Miller et Bertaux #2 beats it by a mile.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

The best (L'AUTRE) wasn't in the list.

nor the second best: L'EAU TROIS.

(ok, ok, both recently discontinued, but Virgilio too...)

I should clarify that even though I predict Tam Dao will win in polling my vote was for OYEDO.

Morning Star

Eau de Lierre, Philosykos, and Opôné
    I agree that Tam Dao will walk away with it.

I'm sure my votes are meaningless because I voted for all but two. Did not vote for Do Son or Eau d'Elide. I own all the rest except for Jardin Clos which I expect to buy soon because it's good enough.

I love this house's products. I have fantastic longevity from all of them. Tam Dao included.

Philosykos was my first from the house, L'Ombre dans l'Eau is the one I purchase for high quality gifts most often, Ofresia one of the most unforgetable, and so on probably.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I love this house's products. I have fantastic longevity from all of them.
    Longevity is poor on me, unfortunately, probably because I have dry skin. It won't stop me from buying them, however. I'm currently postponing a purchase of Eau de Lierre in an ultimately futile attempt to convince myself that I can resist it. Barney's New York in Beverly Hills has been playing along with the charade by claiming that they no longer carry it. How ... coy.

oyedo, phylosykos, and tam dao

Basenotes Institution

The one-two-three punch of Tam Dao, Philosykos and L'Ombre dans L'Eau

Off-Scenter

Eau Lente and Virgilio are by a wide margin my favorites from Diptyque, and I'm very sad to see the latter discontinued. I respect Philosykos tremendously, but do not enjoy wearing it. L'Ombre dans l'Eau and Opone have always struck me as very good scents, but they've never gotten me all that worked up. Oyedo smells too much like hard candy for me, and I may be the only person on earth who finds Tam Dao dull and overrated, being much more about cedar than sandalwood. (Ducks and covers.)

Since I can't remember what I thought of all the rest when I tried them, I have to assume that I'm indifferent.

Blog Entries

Tam Dao is very nice and I enjoy it.

After trying a number of their scents, and I (for one) am tired of "fragrance surprise".

Ohhh! It starts out smelling like a a bunch of green leaves soaked in gopher urine. But dries down to a beautiful orange/oregano.

I really don't want to go through "Oh God what did I just put on" and wait 30 minutes for the beautiful part.

Diptyque's frags are well done, but I'm really over the "let's make it interesting" approach to scent design that they use.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    These three got my votes as well. I get 6-8 hours from each of them, longer with Tam Dao. The stuff lasts forever on me. Together, they are a wonderful example of Diptyque's style - balancing classic and artistic themes.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Why isn't there a Tam Dao candle?????
    Isn't there a Santal candle which is meant to complement Tam Dao? I love Diptyque fragrances. They often get accused of being too linear, but I kind of like that about them. I extol that kind of constancy above the fast burn-out-to-dull-white-musk of many other contemporary perfumes.

Tam Dao is one of the most accessable and wearable, longevity is OK for me.

Eau Lente is my idea of a classical, archetypical oriental. Perfect winter snuggly scent, I love it.

Though I'm not generally a sweet scent fan, I can't help but like Oyedo, candy allusions and all. I guess I'm just impressed by how strong and brash it is, being a citrus. Demands to be worn in the right conditions, however, but the hot, humid subtropical summers where I live are perfect for that.

Philosykos is just so damn satisfying and versatile, it's a contender for the "if I could only have one fragrance, it would be..." list for me (though (cough) there are many other contenders).

Opone is a fantastic, spicy, masculine rose. Sad it's being discontinued.

And Ofresia is what I'd recommend to all those people who like Roger & Gallet's old style, floral colognes but are looking for something with more strength and longevity.

And of course, let's not forget, Diptyque's packaging/artwork is also outstanding.
    Last edited by lunarpanic; 26th August 2008 at 03:01 AM.

Love my Tam Dao...

Philosykos is nice, just not for me.
    top ten: L'Air du Desert Marocain, Black Aoud, Le Labo Rose 31, Bois du Portugal, Incense Rose, Millesime Imperial, Czech & Speake no.88, Terre de Hermes, Musc Ravageur, Nasomatto Duro

Best layers: GIT and TdH, GIT and BA

sample wishlist: Roses Musk

Quote Originally Posted by lunarpanic View Post
    Isn't there a Santal candle which is meant to complement Tam Dao? I love Diptyque fragrances. They often get accused of being too linear, but I kind of like that about them. I extol that kind of constancy above the fast burn-out-to-dull-white-musk of many other contemporary perfumes.

Tam Dao is one of the most accessable and wearable, longevity is OK for me.

Eau Lente is my idea of a classical, archetypical oriental. Perfect winter snuggly scent, I love it.

Though I'm not generally a sweet scent fan, I can't help but like Oyedo, candy allusions and all. I guess I'm just impressed by how strong and brash it is, being a citrus. Demands to be worn in the right conditions, however, but the hot, humid subtropical summers where I live are perfect for that.

Philosykos is just so damn satisfying and versatile, it's a contender for the "if I could only have one fragrance, it would be..." list for me (though (cough) there are many other contenders).

Opone is a fantastic, spicy, masculine rose. Sad it's being discontinued.

And Ofresia is what I'd recommend to all those people who like Roger & Gallet's old style, floral colognes but are looking for something with more strength and longevity.

And of course, let's not forget, Diptyque's packaging/artwork is also outstanding.

Nice info for those of us not familiar with Diptyque, thanks Lunarpanic.
    So Tam Dao wasn't the dead cert everyone thought.
    BTW anyone knows what tam dao actually means?

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by lunarpanic View Post
    Opôné is a fantastic, spicy, masculine rose. Sad it's being discontinued.
    Really? I hadn't heard this. What is the time frame on that?

I voted Oyedo. Its longevity is great as well, espcially for an EDT.

Tam Dao is, as others have mentioned, more cedar than sandalwood (with not much longevity). Philosykos comes second but, occasionally, there's something about it that I find off-puting...
    Last edited by Trebor; 26th August 2008 at 03:41 PM.

Tam Dao 20
    Philosykos 19
    Eau Lente 12
    Opôné 9

These four seem to be the ones to try.

The best is L'Ombre Dans L'Eau.
    The second best is Tam Dao.
    The third best is Virgilio.

Philosykos is my favorite, followed by Ofresia and L'Ombre dans l'Eau.

I think Diptyque is probably the best house out there for piquant vegetal/green notes. And they just last and last.

How did I miss this poll before? (Thank you, SirSlarty)

My vote goes for L'Ombre dans L'Eau. It's everything I want my fragrance to be. It brings back pleasant memories, works so good for me it always gets me comments, it's one of the best fragrances for the summer and spring heat down here, and its longevity is very nice on me it could last till the next day and it sticks on the bedsheets and pillows for days, it's very wearable yet not what everyone expects your fragrance to be and you'll smell very different from the crowd. I love it.

I also voted for Tam Dao. I found out about this very recently, and I am so glad I did.

I'm going to seek out more Diptyque soon, because I'm sensing there could be a very nice relationship between me and this house. I'm also sensing this could be my favorite house one day. Thanks for the poll.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Basenotes Plus

Another vote here for Eau Lente.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

L'Ombre dans L'Eau for me.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

you said it!
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    one-two-three again here too, just like a smelling waltz

I have only smelled two and therefore I voted for only two : Tam Dao and Philosykos.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

As others have noted, L'Eau Trois is not listed. A shame that was discontinued, it is my favorite.
    My second favorite is Virgilo. I own both of those.
    I kind of like Eau de Lierre, but have only sampled it.
    I need to try some others...
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I find it very, very sad that the favorites of so many voters are discontinued.

Virgilio for me, Opone and Eau Trois for others - what the heck is Diptyque doing discontinuing these worthies?

I stumbled over this house as a tourist in France three years ago. I was in a shop asking about some Annick Goutals when the SA asked if I'd ever tried any of "these" (pointing to a display of Diptyques). I ended up buying a Tam Dao a couple days later and it's still probably my favorite - although it's like choosing between apples and oranges.

Tam Dao and Philosykos. It is also very nice and the combination of them!
    Has anyone tried it?

Tam Dao & L'Eau Diptyque