Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Miroir des Vanities by Thierry Mugler

I have been wearing this from a decant I bought from TPC. It's the most interesting bitter fragrance I've ever smelled.

The orange top notes smell just like bitter orange seltzer, or Campari liquer for that matter. Fizzy, that combination of carbon dioxide and tangy citrus, dry. Extremely refreshing in the hot weather. Low sillage, this stays close to the skin.

I tend to be very impressed when a designer scent (even one like this, that is part of an Exclusive Line) smells daring, innovative and like nothing else out in the marketplace. It reminds me of something Diptyque or L'Artisan might release - but this is THIERRY MUGLER guys!

Hate the bottle (it looks like something the witch from Sleeping Beauty might have on her nightstand).

Hate the name.

Love the juice.

Last edited by mikeperez23; 26th August 2008 at 01:16 AM.

Default Re: Miroir des Vanities by Thierry Mugler

The bottle looks like a mixture of Alien in design. Mike is this the one that is market as unisex?

Blog Entries

Oh, dear God. I hate Miroir des VanitÚs. Have you ever experienced those little craft ovens where you bake plastic in a metal mold into various shapes. Yeah, it smells like baking plastic. Bitter baking plastic.
    Last edited by kopah; 26th August 2008 at 01:53 AM.

I tried these scents at Saks 5th earlier this summer. I found them to be alright but nothing spectacular and all had a feminine edge to them.
    I edited my post since I realized the one you are talking about is the Mirror of Vanities which I did not try. I guess there are 5 of them now.

Cheers.
    Al
    Last edited by anak; 26th August 2008 at 01:56 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    The bottle looks like a mixture of Alien in design. Mike is this the one that is market as unisex?
    Yes, they are marketed as unisex. The whole line is called Dare The Metamorphoses and I have only seen them at Sak's.

The other one I smelled in the store that I liked was Miroir des Envies - a floral, gourmand that I need to smell again soon.

The bottles are supposed to be inspired by Art Deco design - but I think they look a little too cartoonish.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 26th August 2008 at 02:22 AM.

A bit O/T: anyone know what happened with the planned release of Aura? I was looking forward to that releae but it just seemed to never happen.
    "When he shook hands with me my nostrils were assailed by all the perfumes of Arabia."
    - W. Somerset Maugham

Fizzy bitter orange notes. No base or other accords? Doesn't sound very interesting. CdG Soda with orange instead of lime?
    -

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Fizzy bitter orange notes. No base or other accords? Doesn't sound very interesting. CdG Soda with orange instead of lime?
    Well, I think the bitter orange top notes (which last forever on my skin) kind of overshadow a very mild base. It's extremely linear but also extremely well blended. Kind of like a new, modern take on Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermes. This time with a bitter, fizzy orange note.

It has none of that 'headspace'-y yuzu notes that Soda by CdG has.