Code of Conduct

Default how to distinguish day/evening fragrance?

hi im new and here to learn

just wondering how to distinguish day/evening fragrance? or just personal preference?

Default Re: how to distinguish day/evening fragrance?

Welcome, pizzlemank! This is a great place to learn.

I think I may be in the minority, but I wear just one fragrance throughout each day/evening. If it's a heavy or "sexy" fragrance, or if it's highly concentrated, I just use smaller amounts in the daytime and re-apply it with a slightly heavier hand at night.

Quote Originally Posted by pizzlemank View Post
    hi im new and here to learn

just wondering how to distinguish day/evening fragrance? or just personal preference?
    As a general rule of thumb day time fragrances are those that are lighter scents like the citrus and aquatics. More complex and heavier fragrances like orientals, ambers are more traditionally evening wear. Having said that, I think most people will tell you here on BN that they wear whatever takes their fancy; I know I do.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

I agree. Anything subtle is better for the daytime so as to offend fewer people -- mostly at work. Nighttime is when you'd like to get noticed for smelling good , so the scent is more noticeable. It doesn't mean an evening fragrance can't be citrus nor does a daytime fragrance exclude orientals. It's a matter of personal choice -- as mentioned earlier.

Clean, fresh, and light is generally considered daywears. Usually this is aquatic, citrusy, or soapy. Nightwears are the opposite. Spicy, woody, and heavy. Gendarme Sky is a great example of being a daywear and Black Aoud is a good example of nightwear.

Smile Re: how to distinguish day/evening fragrance?

There are really no rules.. Although heavy fragrances are favoured for night (i.e Gucci Envy, A-Men).. Lighter fragrances for day (i.e Acqua Di Parma, Eternity)

A heavy frag can be worn during the day if it is applied very lightly..so as not to offend!.. A lighter frag does not fair very well at night ..as they tend not to be very strong and are against tough competition from other users.. wearing powerful Orientals!

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

Off-Scenter

I think the distinction is mostly a matter of what you're comfortable wearing in any given day or evening social situation. I generally avoid sensuous orinetals and animalic mussks during the daytime, particularly if I'm going to have business meetings. Even so, I have been known to wear some pretty dense fragrances (Havana, Eau Lente, Jaipur Homme, Kouros...) during the day, though I'm careful to apply the louder ones with a light hand.

I think it's something that you have to discover somewhat for yourself- what smells good on you, For the most part I think one should avoid heavy fragrances during the day (notes like tuberose, jasmine, heavy musks) and stick to lighter ones like citrus and lavender. But if you're careful about application you can break those rules..

thank you everyone for the information i am only beginning to learn to distinguish the ingredients and notes. but this helped a lot thanks again