Code of Conduct

Default New fragranced laptops?

No joke. Asus is putting out a line of laptops with 4 different designs that all have a matching scent to them.

I am kinda scared. I can imagine it now: Some idiot sits down next to me with her laptop. She begins typing with the aggression of a murderous bear. I get annoyed by this. Her fragrance hits my nostrils, and it is overwhelming. I then realize the fragrance is not on her, but it is actually coming from her laptop. "Um... excuse me. Did you spray your laptop with perfume?!" I ask. "No, it comes like that! It is the 'Floral Blossom' one! Isn't it just awesome?"

More information can be found in the article here, which also contains a link to the manufacturer website:
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...?tag=cnetfd.mt

Default Re: New fragranced laptops?

Wow, what a brilliant marketing idea... NOT! Jesus, what is the world coming to?! On second thoughts, let's not venture down there...

A new dimension for scent-layering!!!

How about a USB plug-in perfume thing for the rest of us. I could counter that "Summer Breeze" Asus with my "Yatagan" MacBook..

i don't care for the idea... it would make libraries unbearable

I don't think that the scents of these laptops would smell all that good anyway... probably about as good as cologne you could buy at Dollar Tree (or the steaming pile of crap that is Windows Vista, which these things run). Still, I'd love to see Chandler Burr review these...

No matter what, I'd rather see the "designers" of designer fragrances such as Giorgio Armani or Marc Jacobs design the cases of the lappies themselves. Case in point: Have you seen the industrial design of the latest Dell or HP laptops? UGLY! But if Thierry Mugler designed that new HP Pavilion dv5t instead of HP's own industrial designers who put on too much rounded edges for all that shiny fake chrome and black plastic, it might have looked much nicer.
    Last edited by MFfan310; 26th August 2008 at 07:04 PM.
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

It'll smell just like Odeur 71 with notes of dust on a hot light bulb, photocopier toner, hot metal, fountain pen ink and the salty taste of a battery.

Say whatever you want, but there is nothing like the smell of a printed circuit board.
    Of course, that is the junkie Electrical Engineering talking under the influence of hallucinating gases given off by his new computer.

The smell of a new book is good too.

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Say whatever you want, but there is nothing like the smell of a printed circuit board.
    Of course, that is the junkie Electrical Engineering talking under the influence of hallucinating gases given off by his new computer.

The smell of a new book is good too.
    I would love a cologne that smelled like circuit boards (not burning ones), trichloroethane (solder flux remover--it's sweet and ethereal) and solder rosin (pine resinous). I'm not joking--I'd wear it. A gourmand for robots! (OK, now I'm joking)

Just no more hot metal notes, please. I hate that (seemingly popular) accord in mens' frags.

Back on topic: Scented laptops: what an asinine concept. I could see this coming out of Sanrio (a Hello Kitty iBook that smells like synthetic fruit bubblegum), but from quality motherboard maker Asus? Ludicrous and disappointing. I'll bet they'll all smell about as wonderful as those tree-shaped car air fresheners.

I dunno....

Doing homework (as I am now a senior in high school) sucks major donkey butt... I might be put into a different mood with my k-pop playing and a nice, calming scent wafting up from my workstation =D.

Other than that, I find the concept of integrating laptops and scents rather absurd and funny. Soon we'll have scented TV's and couches for those who enjoy Sundays sitting on the couch watching TV =).