Code of Conduct

Default scentemental's last post

Perhaps this belongs elsewhere, and without doubt it's up to the moderators to move this thread elsewhere if they so choose, but I hope they will give this senior member one last indulgence by allowing it to stay here where most of my friends can see this post. Perhaps it might be their way of acknowledging that I have contributed a little something of value to Basenotes in the four years I have been posting here.

It's been fun folks, a lot less so lately. I will not be posting on any of the boards anymore, nor will I be visiting any of the boards anymore.

I just wanted to say a heartfelt thanks to Grant and the moderators who have always tried their hardest to make this a congenial place for those interested in the fragrant life.

To my friends, thank you for your continued kind words and encouragement over the years.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 27th August 2008 at 11:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: scentemental's last post

I'm so sorry to hear that you're leaving us, scentemental. You will be sorely missed, everyone will agree.

I wish you the best of luck whatever you do in the future.

Post Thanks / Like

I thank you sincerely for pointing out the Oscar Pour Lui differences .
    Nobody else noticed it .
    I wish you all the best .

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Shame you've decided to leave. Nice "knowing" you scentimental.
    Happy (fragrant) trails!

Post Thanks / Like

This is sad news, indeed. But as our favorite 007 once said, never say never. And don't underestimate the power of the company of friends, who will always welcome you back anytime, no questions asked (well, perhaps one or two...).

jon
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I learned so much from your posts. They were highly valued and I shall miss seeing your contributions.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm very sorry to see you go. The absence of your profound knowledge of perfume and especially your diligence in sharing it by posting extended analyses and explanations will leave a rather large hole in the forum. I'm not sure what led you to react so strongly to Renato's innocuous post, but evidently it was to you the straw that broke the camel's back. For a number of reasons I do not believe basenotes will develop back into the more intimate, homogenous forum of likeminded perfume afficionados that I gather you envision. Though you may feel it to be the case, I do not believe your efforts would be wasted within this new context, which certainly has its, let's say, strenuous aspects, but if you think the centre will not hold, I'll sadly respect that. Perhaps you'll consider opening a blog - it has the advantage that one can freely set one's own terms. I'd hate to see your insight disappear from the web altogether.

Here's to good smells!
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I, too, have found your posts to be insightful and informative, and am sorry to see you go. All the very best!
    BNIB: Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, LIDGE, Bentley Intense, DH, Vintage Rive Gauche pH, M7 gel, Roma (women's), MPG Racine, Obsession, etc.:
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

Post Thanks / Like

Your reviews are the best I've ever read at BN. You have a lot of talent and knowledge. Don't let other people irritate you. It is just envy. Please, continue contributing to the community....
    Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 27th August 2008 at 12:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: scentemental's last post

scentemental, I can only think to wish you the very best that life has to offer. The best of luck in all your endeavors, and thanks so much for all you have done, and remember to always keep your chin up!
    Regards Ron
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, sorry to see you leave but you really should have been a 'Supporting Member', too,

But maybe you'll be back!

Take care.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I will miss you dearly S.

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing your expertise with us Scentemental. I have enjoyed reading your posts and reviews and used them to help guide me toward some great fragrances I probably would have missed otherwise. I think you may have many more friends and here on Basenotes than you realize. Via Con Dios.
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Post Thanks / Like

You will be sorely missed, my friend (and instructor, and enabler, particularly regarding women [ok, me]wearing men's fragrances!). I hope you reconsider, and know that while the board may no longer be exactly what you hope for, your presence here makes a real difference. Thank you for everything.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by graffham View Post
    Yes, sorry to see you leave but you really should have been a 'Supporting Member', too,
    scentemental was a long-time Supporting Member. That changed only within the last year, perhaps when he started losing his enthusiasm for Basenotes.

My friend, I will never have your nose or your encyclopedic knowledge of all things fragrant, but I learned as much from what you didn't say as from what you did.

With apologies to Margaret Hamilton, I will miss you, "you and your little dogs too!"

Please stop back whenever the time is right.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

It's sad to see one of the most knowledgeable members of this forum leave. I've always found your comments very informative, detailed and well written.

I will miss your continued presence here and by the looks of it, I'm not the only one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

bye!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sad to see you leave but I must say that I find no wrongdoing in Renato's post. Why can't you just ignore the topics that don't interest you or would potentially annoy you?
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Thank You for the insight and inspiration!

The best of luck to you always!!

I will miss you. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us in the past. It was always a pleasure to read you and to learn from you.
    Best wishes.
    RM

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I enjoyed your posts, and will miss them - whether they were against a fragrance I enjoyed or not.

One thing I hope is that you leave us with them, to view their very informative content for years to come.

Post Thanks / Like

Is Basenotes shutting down?

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Re: scentemental's last post

All of a sudden everything becomes pale... BN is loosing one of its best members. BN will never be the same again

Post Thanks / Like

very sorry to see you leave.....yet your words and reviews will remain with us forever.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

sorry to see you leave. taek care.

Your presence provided much illumination here. Take your leave if you must, but return again when the time is right. You will be missed.

As in all of life, there is much here that leave a lot to be desired. But there are treasures here too, people of unsurpassed integrity and virtue.
    Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard are sweeter. (Keats)

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your contributions, and for sharing your enthusiasm of all things fragrant... While your thoughts & insights will be missed, you must do what you feel is best. If that includes no longer posting on Basenotes, so be it...

I second the thought that you might consider starting a blog. It could give you the best of both worlds. It would give you a platform to share your passion & knowledge with others (which you really seemed to enjoy), and you would avoid the pitfalls that seemed to hasten your departure from this website...

Thank you again, and best of luck in the future...
    Last edited by KMF; 27th August 2008 at 02:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, we all get frustrated at times.
    Could you perhaps reconsider your decision and make this your last post for today?
    Things may be cheerier tomorrow.

Regards,
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

I must say how sad it makes me to log into Basenotes today and see this thread.

Basenotes won't be the same without you, Scentemental. It's a deep hit for sure, like a team losing one of their star players.

I hope that you'll reconsider and stay with us. I think I understand your reasons, though, and I agree with your concerns about the direction the boards are apparently heading. I've only been a member for about a year and a half, and I too have noticed a gradual transformation towards sillier and less meaningful discussions.

Perhaps that change is a truer representation of the nature of message boards and cyberspace in general. So much cyber communication is abbreviated, dumbed down, made cute, or offered in too spontaneous a manner for its own good.

The ever increasing number of newer participants, perhaps younger and less knowledgeable about fragrances than most of the old hands, may also contribute to this direction towards frivolity and fun. But I think this a natural outgrowth of the site's wider exposure and inevitable growth.

I know that you've invested a great deal of your time and effort in making this place a better one. Your posts have always been thoughtful and careful, and not about adding a moment of fun but about making lasting and meaningful contributions.

Thank you for that! I for one will miss you very much.

Take care.

noggs

Well, as they say, never say never...

All the best and here's hoping that you didn't add me to, what sounds like, a very long ignore list (or you won't get to read this message).

Ciao.
    Last edited by Trebor; 27th August 2008 at 02:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

scentemental... NOOOO!

Oh wow, I had no idea just how much I love the input on this board until I read this and felt genuine sadness to lose such a bright light here on basenotes. Early on for me here, it was people like you who taught me so much about what I love in fragrance.

If a blog is what gives you the space to write then so be it. I remember some time ago you mentioning in a post about doing "research;" well, knowledge is really just facts in an attic until it can be shared, and believe me there are a lot of people who would want to know what ideas and thoughts you have a-brewing.

You will be missed if you do disappear. Here's to very much hoping you don't.

Very sorry. But I understand. I do hope you will pop in if things get better. Thanks for your insights and take care, scentemental.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Post Thanks / Like

This is sad to see. I'm pretty new but dove in when I got here. There are certain posters that stand out for their knowledge and helpfulness. Scentemental was one of them. So this is really sad to see a good poster leave.

As for message boards. Feel lucky this one is like it is. I didn't know much about MBs until 2004 and there are some ones out there that are beyond childish and where adults form gangs, can't get along and make cyber fun, real life and real drama. This place has been the total opposite of that for me.

Hope you come back.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 27th August 2008 at 03:13 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You will be missed dearly Scentemental. Along with Pluran, your posts have been the most informative for me. Not to mention, the almost for free sales you had from time to time! Good luck in whatever has lessend your fragrance (or basenotes) enthusiasm. Its definitely our loss.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

You'll be missed scentemental; best wishes wherever you'll be.

Post Thanks / Like

I just read the original thread that caused all of this. Is it scentemental or "scensitive"? Either way, I understand you are a veteran and it seems your knowledge is well-respected and admired. You shouldn't let anyone get to you like that and should strongly consider staying. There are more people who benefit from posts like yours than people who detract.

Post Thanks / Like

I have learnt alot from reading your posts. Its always sad to see a person leave a community especially when they contribute a large amount.

And although I havent been a member for that long, I have seen a bit of a shift over the last few months. Theres alot less 'discussion' and alot more 'Q&A,' with new members asking questions and more 'senior' or 'knowledgable' people giving answers. Some of the questions have also became downright silly. Also maturity seems to be on a downwards trend...
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

You are a class act my friend. I truly enjoyed reading your posts and appreciated the insight contained in them. Thanks for the great deals on the frags and all that you brought to this community. You will surely be missed.

Very sad news. I had a feeling this was coming, and I will miss scentemental's knowledge greatly.

As I see more and more 'libraries of fragrance knowledge' walk out the door, I can only believe that this site will suffer from it.

scentemental,

If you read this, thanks you for all you did for me on this site; the samples sent out of kindness, the willingness to answer all my questions, and the kind way you interacted with me. I owe you a great deal. Best of luck to you.

barry

Take care. I hardly knew ye...

Post Thanks / Like

But I just got here, and we were having such great conversations. I have no idea of the history here, nor do I want to waste my time researching it and finding it out. I really have enjoyed your informed posts and reviews. You were one of the posters who made me want to join. I sure hope you reconsider and stay.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Scentemental,

I'm really going to miss you, thanks for your always informative and superbly thoughtful posts. You are one of the greatest, and losing you in the community is definitely our loss. Your posts are very well written and I usually learn something new -- whether it be fragrances or new vocabulary. The impact you made will continue, as your posts are still referenced when new questions arise. I enjoy rereading older threads and especially those long posts in blue. Thanks for everything, and I hope our paths cross again in the future.

Chris

Hey Scentemental,

I am deeply sorry to hear that you are leaving us.

Your reviews and posts have always been honest, interesting and enlightening.

Communication is 80% non verbal and the boards cannot convey the tone of a message accurately and the varying levels of communication skills that people have. I hope it is not as the result of one (or a few) people that you decided to leave.

Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one. It is the diversity of opinions that makes things interesting.

I sincerely hope you reconsider leaving us and continue to help newbs like me on our fragrance journey.

Best regards and keep on smelling great !!!!!

I hope we can all rest assured that with or without basenotes you'll continue to enjoy fragrance in the same way. And that YOU'LL rest assured that many of us enjoy them MORE because of your insights and reviews.

Because of widespread exposure to the name of Basenotes, a lot of things have changed, even in the last year, but there are still great conversations and discussions going on here... we just have to sift a little harder you'll be welcome back with open arms if you ever decide to return! -Anthony

Post Thanks / Like

I think Basenotes.net needs to set up some rules regarding the posting topic. There have been some controversial threads lately, especially ones started by a newcomer. And this thread shows we are losing an expert in perfumery.

Well, for me, asking about a scent is not bad, and I do that sometimes only if the scents have a few reviews in the directory. What "the_good_life" stated led me to the Creed thread and it reminds me the fact that everything has two sides. Some unnecessary threads started by a newbie show that Basenotes is growing. We draw more people to this place, and without you and the others with deep knowledge in fragrance I don't think Basenotes would be this big today. This community also leads us to people from all walks of life, from different cultures in which more than hundreds of distinct thoughts collide. Therefore, it's more than normal to feel good, bad, insulted, offended, etc here, and as long as one doesn't get banned by the moderator I don't think one should leave because of some words exchanged over one topic.

I don't know the true cause of your decision, but I respect it even though I don't agree with it. Life is short so enjoy what you are good at. If you have had a good time far more than a bad time here, why not change your mind, scentemental? If I were you I would lose the battle to win the war.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Post Thanks / Like

This news makes me genuinely sad.

Post Thanks / Like

My personal dealings with this fine gentleman have always been a pleasure. His expertise and general commentary will be sorely missed!

Post Thanks / Like

Extremely sad day in the history of Basenotes. I do not post often here on the Male side, but I can't just keep silent.

An educator, a person with profound knowledge, a powerful writer and a good man. All in one.

Your well thought-out and precisely worded posts have been an inspiration for me from the very start over three years ago. You have been an example to follow: sniff a lot and make a decision of your own. You were something of an idol. Until once you helped me out big time while I was looking for a scent with a prominent davana note -- not only you pointed me in the right direction, you friendly offered to send me a coveted sample plus some other samples. I politely refused, as the scent could be easily found at Perfumania and other places easily. Besides, how can one expect people of your caliber go down to earth and bother with decanting and driving to the PO? I regret my decision now.

Then I saw your mentioning other, less known scents, on a regular basis, and SotD threads here became somewhat of a curiosity reading for me -- I wonder what's scentimental is wearing today? Is the female version of the same any good? That's how I became familiar with what are best kept secrets in the realm of fragrances (Lancetti is being just one of them). That's what is MY mission in life now --- finding oh so rare! diamonds in a pile of dirt.

Thank you for everything you have done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sorry you're leaving. But maybe a reality check will reel you back in? So I'll put on my big boy pants and take a shot!

BFD. It's the internet. It's the entire damned world. You can't control who posts, how they post, what they post (beyond the guidelines we all agree to). Short of setting up your own forum with your own rules that will, eventually, consist of just you and people who think just like you. That really isn't as OMG HAWT as it sounds.

Your leaving won't change a thing. We'll still have the damned Creed/what scent gets you laid/Terry d'Hermes/GIT/stuff posts, comments, and opinions. That's all part of being in a community. Largely, it's up to the individual to separate the wheat from the chaff - because that differs from person to person.

The only thing that changes is: you don't get frustrated (though I agree with your comments about not being quoted out of context - but, again, not something you can control on the webs) by posts (or posters) that irritate you; the world of BN loses a good contributor.

I haven't been here long and have noticed a change, too. You know what? I just don't read as much. It will morph again. It always does. Internet forums go through cycles. Just like most things in life.

Take a break. Go out, get some fresh air, stay away from fragrance for a while, then pop back in. Things may have changed. Maybe not. Nothing's written in stone.
    Last edited by Hoos; 27th August 2008 at 03:59 PM.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoos View Post
    Sorry you're leaving. But maybe a reality check will reel you back in? So I'll put on my big boy pants and take a shot!

BFD. It's the internet. It's the entire damned world. You can't control who posts, how they post, what they post (beyond the guidelines we all agree to). Short of setting up your own forum with your own rules that will, eventually, consist of just you and people who think just like you. That really isn't as OMG HAWT as it sounds.

Your leaving won't change a thing. We'll still have the damned Creed/what scent gets you laid/Terry d'Hermes/GIT/stuff posts, comments, and opinions. That's all part of being in a community. Largely, it's up to the individual to separate the wheat from the chaff - because that differs from person to person.

The only thing that changes is: you don't get frustrated (though I agree with your comments about not being quoted out of context - but, again, not something you can control on the webs) by posts (or posters) that irritate you; the world of BN loses a good contributor.

I haven't been here long and have noticed a change, too. You know what? I just don't read as much. It will morph again. It always does. Internet forums go through cycles. Just like most things in life.

Take a break. Go out, get some fresh air, stay away from fragrance for a while, then pop back in. Things may have changed. Maybe not. Nothing's written in stone.
    EXTREMELY well said, Hoos.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: scentemental's last post

Quote Originally Posted by Hoos View Post

Great post..and so very true!

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

Post Thanks / Like

I think Hoos hit the nail on the head there so i will not elaborate on that issue. However, i would like to add the following: as a newbie, I am sure that scentemental has vast amounts of knowledge and could school most of us in the language of fragrances, but i ask you this, look back at your first posts, years and years ago, they are not the gifted, intellectual and pin pointed posts that have come to evolve from you. As a senior, you may see newbie posts as stupid, idiotic, but ya know what, you, my friend, were there one day too (well, maybe not the sexual, dirty, or vuglar posts). I do not know the reason why you are leaving, but i think it is, in fact, a bit elitist for you anyone to think they are above answering "stupid questions" or dealing with BS. If you don't answer those newbie questions or engage in some level of repetitive discussion then you will never get that newbie to evolve into someone who is as gifted as you are. To clarify, i am referring to the newbies who are, in fact, serious about fragrances. Again, i do not know why you are leaving, but from what i gather in this thread it has something to do with being annoyed by posters. I think you are doing a great dis-service to yourself and anyone who can learn from you. I dont want to sound mean, because i am not trying to be, but come on, grow up, you can't always have everything perfectly the way you want it! In fact, these newbies have every right to ask any question they want to, just as you have the right to skip over it. Maybe the moderators can flip these topics to the "just starting out" section so as not to bother your sense of elitism?

From my own perspective, i deal with people that annoy me everyday, people that have a heightened level of immaturity but i cant just sit in my room all day and not go to work. Also, i deal with this same BS in alot of my hobbies, but do you think i am ever going to give these people the satisfaction of taking that away from me? Absolutely NOT, never, i have too much respect for what i do to ever turn my back on what i care about. If you want to let these people win, then fine, go ahead, but you can bet i am not going to, nor will many others, Never.

In any event, Thanks for your contributions as i am sure many have learned from you and you have learend from teaching them. Again, i am not trying to be mean and hope i did not offend, but unfortunately the foregoing is my opinion.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 27th August 2008 at 05:41 PM.

Ultimately, a very sad turn of events..........your answers have given a hell of a lot of people, myself included , a deeper insight into the world of fragrances!
    The majority of us will be longing for your return...........so, put the kettle on, have a couple of 'hobnobs', take a deep breath, and get back to us ...........asap.....I'm already optimistically looking forward to your return.
    Until then, take it easy..............

Scentimus said it's time for him to quit too. I guess it's time for all the scent_____ guys to quit.

Sorry to hear you go. Your comments/reviews are highly valued.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I will miss your knowledge and wisdom on the board, and so am very sorry to see you go. We all do as we must, and I wish you the very best in all things. Ciao, bello!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Its a sad day at Basenotes.

I implore you to reconsider. Your insights, excellent reviews and especially, you will be missed dearly. Your a true gentlemen. But if you feel this is what you must do, i respect that.

I agree with the good life, you should consider starting a blog. I and many others would hate to lose the wealth of information you can give. If this sounds selfish -- this is not my intention.

Here's to one of the best.
    I wish you the best of luck with everything your future holds. I mean that sincerely.

Jeff
    Last edited by ajmc; 27th August 2008 at 05:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to lock this thread since so many wishes are well represented here.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.