Code of Conduct

Default CB I Hate Perfume

Has anyone tried any of these? I've found myself browsing the site over and over, but I seem to want almost everything and can't narrow it down. The few Demeters I tried, while not lasting long, always did (imo) a very good job of evoking what it said on the bottle. For some reason I'm very drawn to CB's philosophy:

"We live because we breathe and with each breath, we smell. This is inevitable. The Sense of Smell is our first and most immediate link to the world around us. It reminds us of what (and who) we love. Smell is perhaps the most complex sense we possess and possibly this is why it is the least understood and most often taken for granted… Yet we also know, that none of the other senses can touch us so profoundly as scent. Not even music can stir the mind & heart so powerfully as one tiny whiff. Scent is always individual. Your sense of smell is one of the most unique things about you – more individual than your fingerprints, than the shape of your ear, than the pattern of your retina. Your sense of smell is one of the most important factors that defines you as YOU. The way you respond to any scent is unlike anyone else’s – no one remembers what you do, no one feels what you feel. There is a reason you remember certain scents so fondly – it’s the way nature designed you. Scent is the record of your own special life – it’s your experience."

And I appreciate how he seems to tie many of his scents to specific memories/events/seasons in his life. The write-up for Memory of Kindness is beautiful, and makes me want the scent, despite the fact that I have no idea if I want to smell of tomato vine or not.

Anyway, I'd love to hear from anyone who has tried any of these. I might order a few samples tonight...yes, I just might.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Default Re: CB I Hate Perfume

I have a sample of "Winter 1972" - a very unusual scent (worn very close to the skin) that captures the perfume of melting snow, dirt and wet wool mittens! A very inspired creation... but perhaps one with limited use. As far as the concept and execution are concerned however, it is very interesting indeed.

I have not sampled any of the other CB I hate perfume fragrances.

I got my hands on a few testers at a discount store and had fun smelling them. I didn't buy any, though. For the most part, they are playful compositions that strive to smell exactly like their names suggest. In general, don't look to this line for an artistically sophisticated fragrance. However, you might find something amusing and worthwhile. I didn't find Play-Doh, which is one I might consider buying.

I have never gotten over missing the reasonable samples. Once the price went up my interest went off (and I do realize they were larger samples, but still). Eventually someone sent me a number of them, totaling about $110.00 or thereabouts, and there wasn't a single one I wanted (or had really wanted to try).

I did like Black March quite well for its perfect evocation of a hyacinth bulb in black, wet earth. I wouldn't wear it, but I enjoyed smelling it and eventually finished the sample by scenting a lightbulb.

Have always wanted to try the patchouli and also the Cradle of Light, but when the price of a sample makes me roll my eyes I find it easy to lose interest.

OMG! I have Burning Leaves and I LOVE IT!!!! Now that Fall is approaching I am truly looking forward to pulling it out as a staple. I only use it in September, October and November. I am SOOOOOOO not usually that picky about wearing my frags but this one is special and I take such delight when the time of year comes around for me to spritz away with it. It goes back into seclusion when the holidays ring my bell.... and then I sulk and pout for awhile while I go through my withdrawls.

It is sweet and smoky at the same time. Can be loud or soft spoken depending on your application process. I prefer soft and a spritz or two usually does the trick for me. My only caution would be that it is an unusual fragrance. You may not always get compliments on it. On the other hand, people will start thinking about toasting marshmallows around you... and they will not know why. In the end, they will blame you for their sudden rush of happiness and you will walk away from them quietly, yet humbly, fulfilled.
    Bel Respiro, I adore you... but my heart belongs to another.

I own Revelation and the (in)famous Musk, have sampled many of the others in his studio. Everything is well-done, many are unusual (definitely not a first date scents). I think I also need Violet Empire. These are scents that take you places and make you feel intensely, for better and worse.

I always go for the high concentration. With my funky chemistry, the water based ones don't stand a chance, but the oils last forever and have a surprisingly robust sillage.

My original review is here: http://thenonblonde.blogspot.com/200...emptation.html

I own the musk as well and love it. Great on its own or layered to deepen other scents.

The others are almost avant-garde performance art; olfactory time machines. I can't really think of them as regular scents and don't find myself reaching for them that often. They are beautiful though and I wish Chris B great and continued success..

I find it interesting that he at one time worked for Demeter. And like the OP I too want to smell each and every scent. I am extremely anxious about Thunderstorm from demeter but it was created by CB.
    "While the king is at his table, my perfume fills the air with its fragrance." SoS 1:12

Well I haven't done it yet but these posts are inching me closer to getting some samples. The ones I really want to try are Black March, Winter 1972, Fire From Heaven, Burning Leaves, Wild Hunt, At The Beach 1966, The Fir Tree (for the same reasons BeeBee outlined in her post - I want it to sniff around Christmas!), Memory of Kindness and Cradle of Light. So...not too many then.

Is it possible to get smaller/cheaper samples in NYC at the flagship store itself? My boyfriend is there right now and I could send him on a mission.

Also, regarding Demeter, has there been any change since CB left? The only Demeters I have are from about 5 or 6 years ago (Sugar Cookie and Holy Water are the ones I remember), and there are now seemingly thousands of individual scents, some of which I'd very much like to sniff. I've often thought you could recreate a whole memory with the Demeter scents - i.e. not just a single scent, but all of them, the food, the weather, what you were wearing, drinking etc. etc.

The Non Blonde, I will be reading your review...and aill also be going for the oils. I always go for oil over water/alcohol if I have a choice.

EDIT: OK. Now I need Revelation, too. And possibly even Musk, although am a bit scared of it.
    Last edited by LedByMyNose; 28th August 2008 at 07:13 PM.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Along with a coworker, I ordered all of them (25 or 27) from The Perfumed Court. It cost us around 35$ each, which is great to try so many different ones.

I liked a few enough that I plan to buy them at the end of August. I only tried my half so far, but I will definitely buy Rose Tea, Fir Tree and another tea based one (russian caravan tea or cedarwood tea).

Fir Tree I might get as a house spray though.

They are great, and they will great on your skin since they contain no alcohol. I definitely recommend ordering a batch of samples from perfumed court.

Thank you for your post, Beltz (and bonjour to a fellow Montrealer!) - I didn't realize these could be had at The Perfumed Court. I'll definitely do what you did and order a bunch of samples.

Quote Originally Posted by the non blonde View Post
    These are scents that take you places and make you feel intensely, for better and worse.
    Ditto on this. These are fragrances meant to be powerfully remind you of pleasant experiences, and they smell pleasant by association with those experiences; they're only vaguely pleasant if they're not associated with memories for you.

The only one that really "got" me was In the Library, a dead-on ringer for the smell of a library (specifically a library in a damp, London-like climate with decades-old books). I've heard lots of "nothing like a library" and "just a sweet vanilla" and "dull" from people from drier climates like California or the Northeast; scent memories tend to be pretty specific.

Blog Entries

the CB I HATE PERFUMES store is a couple blocks from my flat here in brooklyn.

i went to the shop last week.....and was pretty dissappointed overall.

the scents are unique, but not that interesting.....they're a bit too subtle in my opinion, they have no attitude....

the only fragrance i thought worth investigating was Winter 1972.

Strangely enough, the reasons you give for not being into this line are the reasons I suspect I might turn out to be. Quiet and subtle is how I like my scents. 'Attitude' is not generally what I look for in one, although I'm by no means suggesting this should apply beyond me!

This male's perspective, for what it's worth...
    I've sampled several, and so far they all seem to have a similar style: simple, slightly sweet, sort of synthetic-smelling. I can't relate to that style, to me it becomes irritating. I appreciate the CB philosophy but can't get behind the content. But I'll keep trying, I may find something that changes my mind.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I had a bottle (oil-based) of Russian Caravan Tea. It was lots of bergamot but not much tea. As I like bergamot, it was OK, but I wouldn't buy it again.

I like the CB philosophy but haven't found any of them that really "clicked" - though Patchouli Empire was pretty close - they really don't seem to me to be a typical perfume one would dab on "for the day" but something you might put on when you plan on being home and want to be enveloped by a scent.

And I am one of the few that really didn't like his musk.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

My experience with this line so far is similar to what other people have been saying. I was so captivated by the idea of these scents, but so far the ones I've tried have been disappointing. They smell a little thin, like you're smelling a familiar scent from far away, and they don't always hold up over time -- they tend to dry down into something vaguely sweet.

Which also makes me wonder about what makes a perfume evocative. Maybe it has to be more powerful, exaggerated, enveloping than just a "photorealistic" representation of how something smells. For instance, although CB's Black March has a really impressively accurate smell of damp earth (a smell I love in nature) it doesn't evoke a lot of emotion in me. But Miller Harris' Vetiver Bourbon, which blends vetiver and an earthy patchouli, really gives me the feeling of smelling dark, fresh earth.

I modelled my screen name on this line, but have in fact only tried Memory of Kindness, which was memory of tomato stems at varying degress of intensity. Didn't get it at all and am in no rush to try any more, sorry!

I like the line. A collection of unique and interesting scents. I own Burning Leaves and it's a perennial fall favorite.

Some good discussion here as well: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=197629

Here are my full notes on CB, extracted from my "perfume reviews.txt" file. I deleted everything unrelated. Note that since I try so many fragrances, it does take a lot to make it to my buy list.

=== Priority #1 to buy ===
    CB I Hate Perfume - Tea Rose (not great, but haunting)

=== Priority #2 to buy ===
    CB I Hate Perfume - Cedarwood Tea (I love CB teas but this one has nothing special, buy it only if Caravan Tea isn't better as a "pure tea")
    CB I Hate Perfume - The Fir Tree (very reconizable sapin scent, the kind that smells kinda like sweat)

=== Priority #4 to buy ===
    CB I Hate Perfume - Revelation - honey and fig tree, I really like the dry down... not a ton though.
    CB I Hate Perfume - Under the Arbor - quite pleasant, smells indeed like the sweet sea, and a bit of grapes I think.

=== Priority #9 to buy ===
    CB I Hate Perfume - I am a Dandelion (pleasant, lasts long, no sillage, gets dry in the end)

=== Good but not worth buying ===
    CB I Hate Perfume - Lavender tea - Good tea but not as great as Cedarwood or Rose. Better than Russian Caravan. I don't really love lavender as a whole I think.
    CB I Hate Perfume - Mr Hulot's Holiday - smells like sun screen and aquatic, but don't love it. Good for a bit only.

=== Fragrances I do not like ===
    CB I Hate Perfume - Black March (fun for a few minutes, then you get bored)
    CB I Hate Perfume - Burning Leaves (smells like humid leaves, similar to black march, then turns into dry wood, which I never like)
    CB I Hate Perfume - CB 93 - Disgusting! Smells like herbs and spices, some that stink. Says geranium, but I dunno what that is.
    CB I Hate Perfume - Fire from Heaven - too plain, it does smell like fire at some short point, but that's it. Better than burning leaves though.
    CB I hate Perfume - Gathering Apples - (maybe good as a home spray, but on skin, it quickly turns into turkish delight, not great)
    CB I Hate Perfume - In the Summer Kitchen - smells like a summer kitchen garbage can with old banana peels in it, and spices. Don't like it at all. Did not give it a real try and I Won't.
    CB I Hate Perfume - M1 Narcissus (pleasant flower, but it smells exactly like the bars of soap I overused in 5th grade of high school and nothing else)
    CB I Hate Perfume - Memories of Kindness (tomato leaves, too simple, get tired after a bit)
    CB I Hate Perfume - To see a flower (like Black March, but more flowery... then it turns into plain black march dirt)
    CB I Hate Perfume - In the Library - sucks, doesn't smell much and if anything, smells a bit like dry mushrooms. Not unpleasant, but not pleasant either. Oh I get it, it smells like mold, on a dry book.
    CB I Hate Perfume - Patchouli Empire - Patchouli and tea, not good enough but not unpleasant
    CB I Hate Perfume - Russian Caravan Tea - A good tea, but too dry, kinda like their other dry scents, such as Library.
    CB I Hate Perfume - Wild Pansy - Good and not unpleasant, but not strong enough and not very interesting.
    CB I Hate Perfume - Winter 1972 - earth note, more powdery and dry than usual, nothing else!

Thanks for those really helpful reviews!! I tried Memory of Kindness and stopped there, thinking who wants to smell like tomato stems? Have never been inclined to explore further, though I sort of nicked their name...