Code of Conduct

Smile Mini Views on Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Samples :)

A bit on who and what Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle is all about:
    Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle created a platform where TOP perfumers of this era may demonstrate their talents, with no LVMH or other companies to dictate terms and use of certain ingredients or approach that would otherwise suit "mainstream". Frederic Malle(owner & founder) gives these perfumers complete artistic freedom and a platform without norms or limits of any kind.

The Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle today gives birth to 16 exceptional fragrances, each invested with an assertive personality.

French Lover: wow! wOW!! WOW!!! if i'd been a girl i'd be doing a Marlyn Monroe legendary pose right now! yes! im that happy! "crisp" clean spices right out of the spritzer with sparkling citrus elements, a scent with such amazing tranparency & shimmering quality that would bring on a smile, ear to ear. The color that comes to mind in Green, that of a newly sprouted leaf on a tree against the morning sun with the dew drops still on...it smells that pure and radiant..the way spices has been treated on this one has to put a lot of releases to shame. half an hour into the scent and the incense notes which form the heart of this gem, embraces the top notes into its fold with the gentlest touch of woody notes, the base seems to be a very tradional vetiver with animalic notes...overall, if one appreciates scents like Floris Santal, and find peace in Vetiver based scents, then, this is none of them in terms of notes but the overall effect of it is sure to please lovers of the said. Clear Fresh Green notes with Clear, shimmering quality with an amazing heart of incense on a base of musk and vetiver is how i would like to summarise it, imho...Sillage of this one is an experience in itself. it stays close to skin overall if sprayed 2-3 times but, 6-8 sprays should set it right and make you feel good about the money well spent. Composed by the great Pierre Bourdon

Quote from their website: "A new interpretation of Angelica, a mid-aromatic, mid-spicy note.A raw material linked to natural complements, such as Cedar wood and Vetiver, magnified by Iris from Florence, spiced up by Pimento and Galbanum, and lying on Patchouli, Incense and Musks: a vegetal animality to serve a confident virility.Pierre Bourdon and Frederic Malle worked on the idea of creating the ultimate man fragrance: a modern, eternal and refined scent."

Vetiver Extraordinare: ....close your eyes and VE does give an impression of moss and vetivers growing on the area of application, quite literally. smells very real and true. However, it smells very similar to Encre Noir (EN, please see my views on EN below). Im not indicating EN is Better than VE, what i'm indicating though is, i dont have the money for VE($210). both scents have enuff difference to stay in the same wardrobe...where EN may smell of Wood, Spices & Vetivers; VE smells of the very same vetivers used in EN + moss and damp forest smell. if you like EN, there is no way one is going to despise this one. nicely done.

Composed by the great Dominique Ropion and he quotes "a new essence of Vetiver, stripped of its bitter edge, which he matches with five woody notes to play up the scent's various facets. The result is something surprisingly fresh and crisp."

Noir Epices: huh!? plastic? even Comme des Garcons do bearable plastic notes...i didnt get this one a bit..the intial hour is synthetic plastic notes...settling down to mildly powdery spicy notes which reminded me of CDG2. i think ill need some time on this one considering many adore this scent.

Noir Epices is composed by the great Michel Roudnistka and the notes listed are "nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves and pepper, Michel Roudnitska's scent is topped with orange and geranium and backed by precious woods, including sandalwood and patchouli. A woody oriental, a near chypré, its sensuality is elegant, never lascivious."

Im so glad i tested these, it's definitely one of those must sample before you buy kinda House, coz each bottle cost $210 upwards. somehow the reviews/opinions are very polarized...French Lover and Vetiver Extraordinare are the two which impressed me and warrants a buy.

please do visit my Blog: http://xxentx.blogspot.com/
    Last edited by jenson; 28th August 2008 at 07:19 PM.

Default Re: Mini Views on Frederick Malle Samples :)

Of the 3 you review, I have only tested Vetiver Extraordinaire. Let me just say this : Nothing extraordinary or even ordinary about this. It's mediocre, IMO ofcourse.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Could you tell me what EN stands for? If I don't get the whole thing spelled out for me at least once, I'm lost when it comes to initials.

EN = Lalique's Encre Noir
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    EN = Lalique's Encre Noir
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    Could you tell me what EN stands for? If I don't get the whole thing spelled out for me at least once, I'm lost when it comes to initials.
    sorry bout tht freind...i didnt realise i didnt mention it in first place

Well Jenson, you inspired me to wear my French Lover sample today. A review is forthcoming.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Nice reviews, jenson! I'm a big fan of Vetiver Extraordinare but now you've piqued my interest in French Lover.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Well Jenson, you inspired me to wear my French Lover sample today. A review is forthcoming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Nice reviews, jenson! I'm a big fan of Vetiver Extraordinare but now you've piqued my interest in French Lover.
    Thanks Guys! i'll look forward to your thoughts. please do keep us posted.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Mini Views on Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Samples :)

Yes, I agree with your comment on Noir Epices jenson - you need more time to wear this scent.

The first time I wore NE, I thought it smelled like a freshly squeezed orange, held over a large white powder puff. The mixture of the two made me really uncomfortable and I immediately disliked it. I retested my sample much later on (in cooler weather) and then it 'clicked'. NE features a very stark, spice accord that along with the orange I mentioned, geranium (a key component to the overall effect), aldehydes and cinnamon (one of my fav notes) give it a glossy, almost shiny texture to my nose.

NE lasts forever also. Incredible longevity.

It is not a scent one is bound to like instantly IMO. You need to live with this scent for a while, for it to work it's magic. Of course, even after you've 'lived with it' you may still hate it. But atleast give it a 2nd full wearing in cool weather. Then report back.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 28th August 2008 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    aldehydes and cinnamon (one of my fav notes) give it a glossy, almost shiny texture to my nose.
    well said Mike...ill definitely keep this perspective in mind.

To me VE smells like Vetiver Extreme by Guerlain and Yang. both can be bought for 1/3 of the price of VE.

I did not like FL or NS.