Code of Conduct

Default Oakmoss replacement?

Since the EU is intent on banning Oakmoss as a fixative in scents, what is the replacement? I understand the EU wanting to ban allergens, but the ban on Oakmoss is killing some very wonderful scents. The genere of Chypre will be changed forever.

Last edited by greendragon; 28th August 2008 at 02:47 PM.
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

Default Re: Oakmoss replacement?

The way I understand it is that it is not a ban, but that if a company uses one of the allergens they must list it on the packaging. Chanel, for instance, still uses oakmoss in many of their formulations and you can see it listed. The reformulated version of Monsieur Givenchy still uses oakmoss and it is listed. There are many other such examples. Some companies chose to not list the materials and instead reformulated their fragrances to avoid using them.

From what I have read, there is no good synthetic replacement of oakmoss.

The common replacement is tree moss (a different plant), as is the case in Guerlain's Mitsouko, for example.

One week ago, I bought a new 30 ml bottle of Guerlain's Chant d'Arômes extrait from the Champs-Élysées store in Paris, because Turin notes that it's been more or less brought back to its past glory. The ingredient list on the box includes Oakmoss (it's still the previous box-generation in black and gold), and it smells "mossy" the way vintage Mitsouko does.

I constantly ask myself whether Mitsouko was reformulated with Treemoss for other reasons also. The new version of it smells divine in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    The way I understand it is that it is not a ban, but that if a company uses one of the allergens they must list it on the packaging. Chanel, for instance, still uses oakmoss in many of their formulations and you can see it listed. The reformulated version of Monsieur Givenchy still uses oakmoss and it is listed. There are many other such examples. Some companies chose to not list the materials and instead reformulated their fragrances to avoid using them.
    If they use oakmoss, companies should list it on packaging AND use it UNDER some limits that are established by IFRA based on some medicine researches.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    If they use oakmoss, companies should list it on packaging AND use it UNDER some limits that are established by IFRA based on some medicine researches.
    Are the limits based on total percentage? I haven't read the IFRA document in a long time. It seems like something like that was in there. Oak moss needn't be used in very high concentrations in a product anyway. It is extremely pervasive!

it's in Posts like these where Pluran and Scenetmental woudl be sorely missed...however..please go thru this thread.. http://community.basenotes.net/showt...hlight=oakmoss Pluran has some interestin insights on this topic in general...

well with both gone, is Profumo still around..?
    Last edited by jenson; 29th August 2008 at 03:36 PM.