Code of Conduct

Default Where do Minis come from?

I know where babies come from but what about perfume minis?

When I go shopping at the department store like Macy's they don't have minis for sale.

When I've visited the so-called flagship stores and outlet stores of designer brands like Burberry, Ralph Lauren or Calvin Klein and they don't have the minis there.

I see these minis only at the discounters and eBay. Where do these minis originate?

Default Re: Where do Minis come from?

Minis are made specifically for travel retail, and also for promotional/gift purposes.

This is why you will often see Mini coffrets offered in airports and dutyfree stores, and seldom ever see them in regular retail stores.

Im usually a bit cheeky, and simply ask if they have any minis to offer as a gift at the time I am making a purchase.
    Last week I bought Kenzo Power, and Chloé 2008 (for my wife) and asked if they had a mini they could spare. I was delighted to receive minis of Paul Smith London, 'F' by Ferragamo and the new Lanvin Femme.

My motto: if you ask for the world, you might just get half!
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 28th August 2008 at 08:26 PM.

I see them at Wal-Mart, Target, etc... as well.

I haven't seen them in department stores but mostly on ebay and duty free shops. Sometimes, it's more economical.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Minis are made specifically for travel retail, and also for promotional/gift purposes.

This is why you will often see Mini coffrets offered in airports and dutyfree stores, and seldom ever see them in regular retail stores.

Im usually a bit cheeky, and simply ask if they have any minis to offer as a gift at the time I am making a purchase.
    Last week I bought Kenzo Power, and Chloé 2008 (for my wife) and asked if they had a mini they could spare. I was delighted to receive minis of Paul Smith London, 'F' by Ferragamo and the new Lanvin Femme.

My motto: if you ask for the world, you might just get half!
    This makes sense. I thought it would be gifting. No wonder so many re-sellers sell them.

Lyrics from a song: I don't want the world, I just ant your half.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahuna Cowboy View Post
    I see them at Wal-Mart, Target, etc... as well.
    Oooh yeah. I see these at my drugstore, too, in those blister packs. They're usually all Coty and Estee Lauder products, though. Like Calvin Klein and Hilfiger stuff.

In the UK at Xmas time, many retailers have mini's in a gift set. Boots do six every year. 2 Women's Prestige, 1 Mens Prestige, 1 Mens Mass, 2 women's mass.

And I always thought that when two big perfume bottles reeeaallyy love each other....you know.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    And I always thought that when two big perfume bottles reeeaallyy love each other....you know.
    Get 2 bottles of Serge and end up with a life long supply of serges?

We can dream

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    In the UK at Xmas time......
    That's what I always thought too.

I seem to get a few minis in my Christmas stocking.

They must come from the North Pole - you know, that place at the end of Lian's driveway!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I haven´t seen lines of mini bottles holding hands walking down the street ..yet

But the mushrooms will be in season soon though!

Ha ha ha!
    I love the idea of breeding a litter of Lutens. Just think what fun you could have - cross Un Bois Vanille with Louve for a sweet little gourmand, or with Ambre Sultan for something more exotic and mysterious.
    See - I'll be lying there in bed tonight thinking of cross-pollination possibilities between Lutens. (Can you tell I'm a gardener?)

More mundanely, here in the UK you can buy minis of things like all the Burberrys and Paul Smiths in Superdrug and the Bath Shop (a local cut-price toiletries outlet).

But back to the Serge crosses. Would anything mate with MKK????? (Or would EVERYTHING mate with it?)
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    The only bottle that I know of that "get together" are Gaultier2.

And those Jovan bottles that interlock.

And the Azzaro Now bottles that go on top of each other.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    When I go shopping at the department store like Macy's they don't have minis for sale.
    When I bought Badgley Mischka at Macy's last fall, I got a gift mini parfum of it with my purchase.

I also often see sets of mini perfumes for Lancôme and Calvin Klein in Kohls department store.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    And those Jovan bottles that interlock.
    I have the female half of the Jovan set, but I guess there won't be any minis being generated without the other half!

All I can say is, thank goodness those FBs have been gettin' busy, because I love my minis.

I'd say it's a great way to keep frag costs down, but I end up dropping a fair amount of $$$ under the rationalization that they don't really count as fragrance purchases for purposes of my fragrance budget.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

I bought a mini of Eau de Rochas online and it smelled much sharper than I remembered it.
    I just bought a full on bottle and it's much less acrid. I think the mini was spoiled.
    I'll add that I've had better luck with all my mini Aramis purchases.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 2nd September 2008 at 05:21 AM.

Reviving an old thread, seems to interest me.

I think many minis are just packaged into transparent plastic bags and sold for a few bucks to my knowledge. They can be sold in bulk as well. Wonder where those corner shops get them from and if they are even allowed to sell them.

The only trouble with minis is that because of their decorative nature, they are often kept on top of a dressing table, or on display somewhere. If older minis are obtained, the contents are often spoiled for smelling because of this. Nice for the little bottles though.

Some times the boutique will have them.
    I have a few minis. The Serge Lutens minis are especially nice.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    The Serge Lutens minis are especially nice.
    As are the Penhaligon's minis.....
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

What is the usual milliliter size of minis? 5ml?

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    What is the usual milliliter size of minis? 5ml?
    As generous as th company is willing to be. Serge Lutens minis are 5ml and Annick Goutal are 5 or a bit more.

for swap/sale:

I have two Chanels, No19 Poudre which was given out as a sample, Cormandel 4mls which came with a purchase.
    A few Serge Lutens given to me as gift by the sa.
    Same sa gave me a mini Eau des Merveilles edp purse spray
    A solid Narciso Rodriguez Essence In Colour

They are all marked not for individual sale so now sure how the discount stores get theirs?
    DONNA

I've seen them for sale on ebay...so sad they are so expensive yet they have no retail value. /:

Blog Entries

Most designer houses release a little smurf-family-like set of their most famous fragrances...ergo they come from the same place as smurfs (eg. Smurf Land)

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.