Code of Conduct

Exclamation Where are the modern masculine scents?

Are there any macho (very masculine) designer fragrances that have been released in the last ten years? I want to find a fragrance that will please both my wife and myself. My wife seems to like fragrances that are fruity or sweet, but not spicy. She seems to be attracted to very modern fragrances. I, on the other hand, have really started to like classic smelling scents, dry, masculine, animalic, and POWERFUL (Kouros, Azzaro, Oscar Pour Lui, Polo). But, I DO NOT like gourmands!
    Out of my collection, my wife likes: Polo Explorer, Baby Blue Jeans, Escada Magnetism. She does not like TdH (too peppery), Pour Lui (had to return it), Paul Smith Story (too spicy), Armani Code (the citron is a turn off).
    Would something classic fit the bill, like Photo or Lagerfeld Classic? What about the original Polo? Or is there something more modern that would fit? I am most interested in a chypre, but am open to anything.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Also, why are designers not making powerful masculine fragrances anymore?
    Last edited by danho; 29th August 2008 at 02:39 PM.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

Default Re: Where are the modern masculine scents?

Perhaps Narciso Rodriguez For Him fits the bill.

It widely available... fulfills wifeys preference for something semi-gourmand(ish), and your expectation of something a little 80s powerhouse.
    One of the more remarkable mainstream mens fragrance releases in recent times.

Modern and Pwerfull.
    Rive Gauche,
    M7 Fresh,
    Gucci Envy
    Gucci pour Homme.
    Black Aoud.
    Tam Dao,
    Commes des Garcons 2 Man

Not so modern but quite powerfull.
    Kouros Summer,
    Opium Orient,
    guerlain Vetiver Extreme,
    Heritage,
    Antaeus,
    Esencia de Lowe

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post

It widely available... fulfills wifeys preference for something semi-gourmand(ish), and your expectation of something a little 80s powerhouse.
    I'd have to second this suggestion. Put some on the back of my hand last night, it actually 'overpowered'my girlfriends Angel in the car on the way home :O

Also the reformulated Bogart pour Homme is quite strong and very masculine.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post

i was going to say the same...

would be interesting to try out CDG Kyoto, Bulgari PH Soir, Body Kouros, Issey Bleue and Baldessarini Concentree

Real MACHO frags in the late 70's and 80's style are definitely not anymore in fashion nowadays and often even the nowadays sold versions of them are a bit tamed down (think of santos etc...).
    Anyway it seems a bit of more masculine, less dishwasher waterboy juices have been released lately so the wave of acquatics is as well going to fade a bit.
    Some modern (a bit) macho scents are imo
    Narciso Rodriguez for him
    YSL M7
    Tom Ford for men extreme
    Armani Attitude
    Gucci PH
    Idole de Lubin

Might be harder to find but Rochas Lui might please both of you as well.

I also like the Narciso Rodriquez For Him recommendations.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Try Burberry London. Its classic and modern at the same time. D & G The One is also good, but a bit to fruity for me..

Blog Entries

I second Gucci Pour Homme and Baldessarini, and I'll also throw out the suggestions of the slightly less modern Platinum Egoiste and Aramis Havana.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Post Re: Where are the modern masculine scents?

I'm not sure what qualifies a scent to be modern or not, but you might want to consider some of Parfums de Nicolaï, fragrances. Well crafted scents, that some thought was put into. Just a thought.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Narciso Rodriguez Macho?

Modern? yes. Strong? yes, but the floral and sweet components soften the masculinity of the drydown a lot.

Maybe I am too macho to accept this as a VERY masculine fragrance. Perhaps I have no idea of what macho really means

Either way I have to declare that it is a great fragrance. It took me some time to apreciate it and understand its wearability.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Might be harder to find but Rochas Lui might please both of you as well.

I also like the Narciso Rodriquez For Him recommendations.
    lol...Chris, he did mention thyat he had to return Rochas Lui because apparently his wife detested it.

....umm..mainstream without the sweetness or freshness that might appeal to you both? Gucci, CDG 2 Man and Dirty English by Juicy Couture.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Danho asked, "Would something classic fit the bill, like Photo or Lagerfeld Classic? What about the original Polo? Or is there something more modern that would fit? I am most interested in a chypre, but am open to anything."

I wouldn't recommend Lagerfeld Classic. From what you said the powdery synthetic vibe might disgust you. I can't remember what Photo smells like, but my advice would be to give Lagerfeld a wide berth. Polo Green is rough the first twenty or so minutes, but after that it gets much smoother albeit a bit dated. I'd give Polo a shot.
    Last edited by renperd; 29th August 2008 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by acceptfacts View Post
    lol...Chris, he did mention thyat he had to return Rochas Lui because apparently his wife detested it.
    Heh, Alex, I did a double take on that too, but he said he had to return "Pour Lui," probably the Oscar Pour Lui he said had a taste for himself. You might certainly be right though. I've always liked it that the Rochas is just "Lui," and drops the pour. Seems simple and imposing at the same time, but I'm just thinking out loud.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Try Burberry London. Its classic and modern at the same time.
    I immediately thought of this one.

Arrow Re: Where are the modern masculine scents?

Macho comeback!!!!!!!!! with Cabaret Homme by Gress ,
    Last edited by Dry_Martini; 29th August 2008 at 06:25 PM.
    #TOP 5#: Antico Caruso, Penhaligons Racquets,Creed BayRhum Vetiver,Domenico Caraceni,Castle Forbes 1445

I would try Burberry London, Baldessarini Ambre, and Euphoria Intense.

Not designer but definitely macho is Nasomatto Duro. Someone else mentioned Idole by Lubin, another frag that is powerful and masculine. For ultra powerful and masculine look no further than Profumum's Fumidus. I'm not sure they make frags more powerful than this one.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

AromiErotici

I love masculine,strong frags and one of my favorites ( and inexpensive) is Fendi Uomo.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    I love masculine,strong frags and one of my favorites ( and inexpensive) is Fendi Uomo.
    Oh, yeah! I love Fendi Uomo. I'm not sure why, but it is the most manly fragrance I own. I can't imagine an alternative universe in which a woman would wear this one. It reminds me of my uncles in the late '60's: freshly shaven, but smoking cigarettes and playing cards. Those should be the notes: tobacco, shaving cream, playing cards, potato chips .... Classic.

Rochas - Lui
    YSL - Rive Gauche PH
    Burberry - London
    Gucci - Gucci Pour Homme (not the new one, the one from 2003)
    Bvlgari - Aqua
    Azzaro - Onyx
    Michael Kors - Michael for Men
    Nicole Miller for Men

Basenotes Institution

Many great recommendations above - good job guys!

If I had to pick one, I'd go with Dimitri's recommendation of Narciso Rodriguez for Him.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by danho View Post
    Are there any macho (very masculine) designer fragrances that have been released in the last ten years? I want to find a fragrance that will please both my wife and myself. My wife seems to like fragrances that are fruity or sweet, but not spicy. She seems to be attracted to very modern fragrances. I, on the other hand, have really started to like classic smelling scents, dry, masculine, animalic, and POWERFUL (Kouros, Azzaro, Oscar Pour Lui, Polo). But, I DO NOT like gourmands!
    Out of my collection, my wife likes: Polo Explorer, Baby Blue Jeans, Escada Magnetism. She does not like TdH (too peppery), Pour Lui (had to return it), Paul Smith Story (too spicy), Armani Code (the citron is a turn off).
    Would something classic fit the bill, like Photo or Lagerfeld Classic? What about the original Polo? Or is there something more modern that would fit? I am most interested in a chypre, but am open to anything.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Also, why are designers not making powerful masculine fragrances anymore?

Danho....I like your post very much because you are thinking in you and your wife. Very nice!
    You must to be a very good husband, thats pretty cool ....we are living in a very egocentric socierty..

Well, answerig your question I think designers are not making powerful masculine fagances because people prefers light, fresh and metrosexual scents....Its a business thing....Nothing else.

My recomendations are 3:
    -Rive Gauche: Excellent
    -Gucci pour homme
    -Envy

Polo is a must also....My father is using Polo (green bottle) 25 years....He use Polo and nothing else. Its perfect, very versatile....Classic and modern as well....I think is a very good option for you....and your wife,of course.

Cheers,
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Based on your wife's likes and your own, I would recommend Givenchy Pour Homme Blue Label. Many will disagree saying this is "just another aquatic." I would disagree. This is a balanced scent casual yet elegant, clean yet grounded and masculine and NOT IMO only for 20-30 year olds. Another: Kenneth Cole Black.

If you yourself insist on one of the powehouse fragrances, I would make a one-spray application recommendation of Polo, the original green or Paco Rabanne, the original or the Eau de Paco.

Frankly, my own wife converted me to a fresher scent, or I should say, I myself got a little tired of making a "statement."
    Last edited by ortho123; 30th August 2008 at 02:12 PM. Reason: errpr omission

If you want a macho masculine scent, go with Yatagan. Not for everyone, but it is a hairy bare chested fragrance
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    Oh, yeah! I love Fendi Uomo. I'm not sure why, but it is the most manly fragrance I own. I can't imagine an alternative universe in which a woman would wear this one. It reminds me of my uncles in the late '60's: freshly shaven, but smoking cigarettes and playing cards. Those should be the notes: tobacco, shaving cream, playing cards, potato chips .... Classic.
    I agree that Fendi Uomo is really masculine. I accidentally purchased a mini, and even adding gobs of amber to it didn't make it wearable for myself.
    [I]"Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere."[/I] -- [URL="http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?p=1496120#post1496120"]Inselaffe[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Many great recommendations above - good job guys!

If I had to pick one, I'd go with Dimitri's recommendation of Narciso Rodriguez for Him.
    Excellent suggestion but I would suggest Musc for Him parfum Oil from Narcisco Rodriguez. An absolutely incredible fragrance

Just to gild the lily, I also recommend Narciso Rodriguez for Him (despite Tania Sanchez's negative, bitter review of it). I also second Rive Gauche pour Homme, perhaps even more so than NRfH. It's one of the most "old fashioned" (I'm hating that term as I write it) yet modern and fresh fragrances I've encountered. Quite an amazing feat, IMO.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 31st August 2008 at 06:50 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Adidas Victory League sounds like it might satisfy you and your wife, and it's super cheap !

There are several recommendations above for Rive Gauche.

Rive Gauche is a feminine fragrance. Did you mean Rive Gauche Pour Homme?
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

TwoRoads is on to something.....

I think all recommendations referred to Rive Gauche Pour Homme. Try that one if you haven't yet. Not a "cookie-cutter" frag at all, IMO.

Armani Attitude is one to try (hope you like patchouli, though!). Oscar for Men (yellow packaging) may be one to try as well, but it IS flush with cloves...easy on the touch when you do get the chance. Perhaps not really a "modern" frag but still relevant is Trussardi Uomo. That one strikes me as sorta splitting the difference between the original Polo (green) and Calvin Klein's Obsession for Men.

Oh, while I'm at it....have you tried Paco Rabanne Pour Homme? Masculine and soapy with a smooth musky drydown on me. YMMV.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

Gucci Pour Homme, Azzaro's Silver Black and YSL's M7 would be my suggestions.
    Renato

How about Parfum d'Habit? It's a niche, but I don't know if anyone would deny that it's masculine.

Lots of good ones mentioned so far. I'll second the recommendations for:
    Gucci pour Homme
    Rive Gauche pour Homme

New York by Parfums de Nicolai is altogether fantastic, and combines
    sweet and woods as well as anything made.

If you could find some, I think you'd find Patou pour Homme to be fantastic,
    but it is bold, and you'd need to get buy-in from the wife on that one.

I suspect that Rive Gauche pour Homme would be one the wife would take to right away.
    New York is something special, though.
    Last edited by trumpet_guy; 31st August 2008 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post

Yes, and I edited my earlier post to clarify.
    I didn't use the full name because the topic was about masculine scents, and I didn't think anyone would confuse the women's Rive Gauche for a masculine. But then they would need to have already smelled them, I suppose....
    Last edited by Snafoo; 31st August 2008 at 06:54 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

smeller

IMO, the answer is GUCCI RUSH (not Gucci Pour Homme, not Gucci Envy).

Male version, of course.

Unmistakeable macho stuff, I dare to say. Harsh woods. Gucci pour homme (2003) is pretty tamed, in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Richie_B View Post
    TwoRoads is on to something.....

I think all recommendations referred to Rive Gauche Pour Homme. Try that one if you haven't yet. Not a "cookie-cutter" frag at all, IMO.
    Of course.

I know it is incorrect to say Rive Gauche when I am refering to Rive Gauche Pour Homme.

But I also know I will do it again. Sorry. Moreover, I think it is safe to assume that if it is written in the male forum 99.9% of the times, Rive Gauche will mean RGpH. Most of the times is self evident.

More macho than Rush, Azzaro Visit. Also, much easier to get. Rush (masculine version of course) has been discontinued.

Thanks for all the suggestions....I ended up buying Opium PH. I don't think anyone suggested it, but it cost me $3 on ebay for a 100 ml new in box.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio