Code of Conduct

Angry Red for men.. horrendous!

So i just purchased a bottle from Marshalls and i must say ... Omg it reeks! This has a following? Wow! Tragedy! Any way i immediately returned it ! Its so mossy and has this fecal smell to it. Blech! Ok whew got that off my chest! I hope my dk fuel doesnt disappoint!

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Red for men.. horrendous!

IMO - Red for men....fantastic!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Unhappy Re: Red for men.. horrendous!

My thoughts exactly.. I bought a bottle recently as I quite enjoyed the juice first time around.. big mistake

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

Quote Originally Posted by blacklibran1 View Post
    So i just purchased a bottle from Marshalls and i must say ... Omg it reeks! This has a following? Wow! Tragedy! Any way i immediately returned it ! Its so mossy and has this fecal smell to it. Blech! Ok whew got that off my chest! I hope my dk fuel doesnt disappoint!
    Maybe it is the new juice. I know when I wore it in the 80s the stuff was off the charts for me and I loved it. Haven't used it since then but women found it sexy.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

lol blacklibran... ah well, somewhere out there, theres a bottle of Sun Men or Ralph Lauren Blue with your name all over it.

Red for Men was fantastic, the last time I wore it!

Blog Entries

agreed. really awful stuff. tacky as well!

Aww dmitri i love ur comedic timing! Hey i tried to like something u guys recommended! No bueno! Ahh yes rl blue so brilliant ha ha ha ha

Im glad you took it with a grain of salt blacklibran!

For the record, Im a big fan of Sun Men also (I've 2 bottles and have 3 shower gels stockpiled)

The new juice is stinky and not in a good way. It's all over the place at Marshall's, TJ Maxx, Ross...

Dmitri have u tried the new sun men fresh? I cant seem to get it in the states

For something herbal, mossy, musky, but "fresh," get John Sterling EDT if you can find it cheap.

Ah cmon how can you not like the aftershave opening and the animalic civety drydown ?
    -

dude i showered like an hour ago abd it still reeks!!!! i hate it

I despised it immediately as well .
    For me Red was like rotting eggs ...
    I mentioned this a few months ago .
    maybe we got bad bottles ?
    Giorgio For Men is in my top 3 !

g-rosssssssssssssssss barf1 ok new subject

So i just purchased a bottle from Marshalls and i must say ... Omg it reeks! This has a following? Wow! Tragedy! Any way i immediately returned it ! !
    Is it easy to return a frag to Marshalls once it has been opened and used?

Dmitri have u tried the new sun men fresh? I cant seem to get it in the states
    I smelled this on a trip to Vienna, but prefer the original. Which, I might add, is getting harder and harder to find. Boooo!

Yup its super easy to return to marshalls! Just keep ur receipt and packaging and walk rite up in there and bam! Tell em i want my mullah back!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    For something herbal, mossy, musky, but "fresh," get John Sterling EDT if you can find it cheap.
    hi bigsly ..
    is this JS relevant/similiar or just a random comment ?

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by atrac View Post
    Is it easy to return a frag to Marshalls once it has been opened and used?
    I don't think it is.

But at my local Marshall's all you have to do is break open the box and spray with abandon. Then, just leave the bottle out on the kiosk shelf and try another! At least that is what I see happening often there, the used bottles and empty boxes littering the area
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I am a huge fan of Red and own both older bottles from 1990 and todays version and to my nose and others their is now diffrence.

Truly a mental hang up some of you have - and means more Red or Rotten Egg for me!

Revolting and repulsive on the body.

OK, so this used to be a mainstay of mine in the 80s. It was spicy, musky and sexy.

Today I tried the reformulation. It was HORRIBLE. It made me gag. There was exactly ONE note that smelled like the old one. The rest was as explained above...fecal, b.o., repulsive...it overwhlemed me. They completely ruined this scent.

I'm sorry but anyone who says they are the same is wrong. I didn't wear this stuff in my teens and 20s. I would have known. It is disgusting.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    I am a huge fan of Red and own both older bottles from 1990 and todays version and to my nose and others their is now diffrence.

Truly a mental hang up some of you have - and means more Red or Rotten Egg for me!

My SOTD today. I agree w/the Scentimus. It's the same Red as I recall. My recollection of it can't be that off! No rotten eggs here.
    Maybe this one is subject to batch variation?
    I get a lot of similarity to the original Giorgio too so I can't follow those who like Giorgio but hate Red.
    Last edited by evogel; 3rd September 2008 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    My SOTD today. I agree w/the Scentimus. It's the same Red as I recall. My recollection of it can't be that off! No rotten eggs here.
    Maybe this one is subject to batch variation?
    I get a lot of similarity to the original Giorgio too so I can't follow those who like Giorgio but hate Red.
    I'm sorry. I've never been a "basher" of fragrances on here but I have to strongly disagree with both of you....sadly. They aren't even close to the same scent. When I wore this in the old days I felt like I could do anything. It was perfect for Winter and Fall. Whatever they put in the bottle I smelled today was horse crap.

There is NOTHING mental about it. I still have the old scent in my head. I still have Polo, Kouros...all those scents branded into my brain and they all smell the same to me now.....except this by a longshot.

The bad part is that this was one I would have stocked up on. While trying other scents the fecal smell so overwhelmed the side of my hand it hit I had to stop. It was sad. No wonder the original juice was fetching such high prices.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 3rd September 2008 at 08:33 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

Ah the great Red for Men debate. Some swear the new is identical to the old and others think there is no comparison! The perfumer of the new one certainly tried, but was likely dealing with a very limited budget. The original is perhaps the best masculine designer frag of all time (based upon the criteria I used to assess them). My view is that if you find the drydown of Hummer H2 very similar to Messe de Minuit EdC (second formulation), then go ahead and buy the new Red for Men. Don't stock up, though, because, like me, you may find that one day the differences become so vast that can't wear the new formulation any longer.

I love it!
    the good, the bad, the ugly & the ludicrous...

I didn't cared for it when it came out, so I've never had the inclination to try the modern goop.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Sound Scents

The vintage Red for Men is an exceptional fragrance, IMO and one of only a handful of scents I have actually finished a bottle of. Great stuff.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie

"Just like I remember it... Red opens strong bitter- herbal, with a touch of sweetnes; the caraway, intensly vibrant carnation and jasmine blend very well. It transitions quickly, becoming dry and warm. The sharpness of strong geranium keeps it fresh as the subtle leather peeks through the woody base. A fantastic, bright aromatic soft-leather combo, and the current formulation really is very good."
    Linden on Fragrantica put it down OK!
    the good, the bad, the ugly & the ludicrous...

Stuff is my staple go to scent I am so stocked up on it now I will have it for the rest of my living life.

I'm wearing SpiceBomb and there is something about it that reminds me of the original Red for Men...a sweet spiciness that I used to like. As I said above, I won't touch the new stuff.
    --Ben Hogan

I have it. One of those spray-and-walk-through kind of fragrances.

Great scent.

Saw Red for cheap at TJ Maxx. Thought of getting it, as Giorgio for men is quite good. But in the end I didn't buy Red. Maybe a good thing after reading this thread.

Love the smell of this,unfortunately the dry down turns fecal on my skin..

Quote Originally Posted by skism View Post
    Love the smell of this,unfortunately the dry down turns fecal on my skin..
    Many if not most frags of that era had some sort of animalic note, so if you could be more precise it would be helpful. Is it caraway or a "dirty" jasmine note that bothers you, for example?

I returned mine...

I don't wear it very often, but I think it's perfectly nice for what it is - a very inexpensive spice fragrance. One could do much, much worse for much, much more money.

Bought a bottle at Dillard's back in the early 90's. Good stuff.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Before there was Cerel9, there was Blacklibran1.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Many if not most frags of that era had some sort of animalic note, so if you could be more precise it would be helpful. Is it caraway or a "dirty" jasmine note that bothers you, for example?
    It was not any note,when in the latter stages of dry down it smelled like shit on my skin had to wash it off lol.only this and the newer boss no1 did that on my skin,the original boss no1 did not do this..

Quote Originally Posted by skism View Post
    It was not any note,when in the latter stages of dry down it smelled like shit on my skin had to wash it off lol.only this and the newer boss no1 did that on my skin,the original boss no1 did not do this..
    That is so strange! I find that both original and new Boss Cologne/#1 have a "dirty" jasmine but Red only has the caraway and perhaps a hint of the "dirty" jasmine. And in original Red, after half an hour or so, the great wood note comes to the fore anyway. I'd be curious to know if others made any comments when you wore Red. Or did you have a craving for garlic whenever you wore Red? LOL.

That is so strange! I find that both original and new Boss Cologne/#1 have a "dirty" jasmine but Red only has the caraway and perhaps a hint of the "dirty" jasmine. And in original Red, after half an hour or so, the great wood note comes to the fore anyway. I'd be curious to know if others made any comments when you wore Red. Or did you have a craving for garlic whenever you wore Red? LOL.
    I always test indoors before wearing stuff out so I don't have others opinions.lost me on the garlic bit..

never had a craving for garlic lol but the dirty jasmine to my nose is spot on. I for one like Red. I like the top notes and i like the middle where i think it turns south and not my favorite is the drydown of the scent aka dirty jasmine.