Code of Conduct

Exclamation How I Think I Smell

How I Think I Smell -- by Walker Minton

I like the smell of perfume. A simple timeless pleasure of things that smell good. However, like many things, once I start to think about a little, the simplicity has a tendency to evaporate at the speed of citrus top notes. The complexity starts with a problem of over indulgence; I am fortunate enough to possess many bottles. The catch is that with the rich diversity in my cupboard comes a very modern dilemma: options are too many, criteria too few (or to put it another way: which shall I wear today and why?)

More...
    Last edited by Grant; 22nd August 2008 at 09:40 AM.

Default Re: How I Think I Smell

A great read. Just wonderful writing and it puts on paper the things that we think of in passing to ourselves everyday. Got my Friday of to a wonderful start.

You know, I never had the habit of sampling my perfumes without wearing them. But it is a very good idea. I think I will adopt it.

"I like to sniff perfumes direct from the bottle or from a blotter; spraying toilet paper is a favourite method. This allows me to indulge in sensual pleasure without the commitment of a whole day of smelling of it."

Wow. I do this all the time. Spraying toilet paper, paper towels, & cutting up envelopes for use as blotters. Drives my family nuts.

It's always amazing to me to find similar behaviour between fragrance fans.
    Last edited by Bossa Nova; 22nd August 2008 at 02:32 PM.

Good article, will try the door spraying thing, sounds good!

Great article!

I love that Opium Pour Homme is a Pop song! Maybe the EDP is more of a crossover song, and the Eau d'Orient formulations are "smooth jazz?"

Awesome article.
    Now I'm going to run to my bathroom sink to try that steam method...

What a good read. Very enjoyable and certainly given me a few ideas.

Very good article I've done the toilet paper thing for some time now. I also saturated my vacuum cleaner bag a few months ago with Pi. It's still going strong.
    Last edited by MadScientist; 23rd August 2008 at 12:23 AM.

Basenotes Institution

The part about scenting the wood doors of rooms intrigued me. I have pine wood doors in my home. I can't wait to try this!

Walker Minton, You really give me the feeling of being one of us. Who else would discover that only toilet paper or a Kleenex won't allow 90% of they fragrant spray being wasted as is the case with scent strips. These little soft squares catch it all! Also, the soft paper under your nose is much more pleasant than the cheap carton of the scent strip. Scent strips are only good for the purpose of testing a chord of several different notes together ( you then hold them like a fan) .

I am surprised you didn't mention the Monclins * ŕ la Patou Boutique, Paris. I mostly use burgundy glasses to achieve a similar effect: One drops that strip or paper tissue into the glass and covers the class for a little while with anything that serves as a lid, just long enough to allow the fragrance to develop in fill the glass. You then draw the fragrance through your nostrils just as you do before you take a sip of fine Burgundy wine. It works like a magnifier of your scent and the effect is marvelous! The nice little extra: you can preserve most smells for one full day at least in a wineglass (bowl, or vase) : just put the lid back on as soon as you finished sampling the smells. Top notes may be gone, but the heart of the fragrance will still emanate from tissue or strips and reach your nose in bundled form up to six, often many more hours later.

The raw wood of closet doors or shelves will also soak up colognes and oils. Opening such a closet days and weeks after application always surprises me nicely. I use Millefiori's 'Teck and Tonka' room spray in one of the cabinets, and lavender oil in another. If fate would want me to be blind one day, I am sure I could use fragrances to guide me from one place to the next, and to find the right clothes in a cabinet quickly.

What conclusions do others draw from how I smell? - After one hour after first application 90% of the people will probably draw no conclusions at all, because they don't smell anything in particular, unless of course I allow them to come a bit closer than usual. And within the first hour? That may coincide with their own first hour in fragrance. Another reason why they may don't notice me smell-wise.

Thanks for the thoughts of a real insider, and your deeper thoughts on wearing fragrances as a man!
    Last edited by narcus; 1st September 2008 at 07:04 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

really good article. Maybe we should sticky it.

Good article. I occasionally spray my lampshades and bulbs to fill a room with a favorite scent.

Walker Minton wrote: "I ask myself whether it matters if the perfume is cheap to produce or very expensive. Can people who I walk past in the street determine this? What about those behind me in the post office queue? Will they think I am cheap, or ostentatious?"

I question that this would ever matter. Quite frankly, I have no doubt that any correlation between the cost of the ingredients and production vs. the retail price is very, very weak at best.

I believe a much stronger correlation exists between the retail prices and the level of snob appeal for which the houses are aiming.

When I allow my mind to open up, I can find some wonderful inexpensive fragrances, e.g., the Mustang that I paid $10 for at Walgreens and the Lucky 6 for Men that I paid $4.99 for at CVS, both in 1 ounce bottles.

No one on the street would ever know!