Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for fragrance recommendations......( long )

Good afternoon gentlemen,

I'm new to this board and thought I might request some help from you in finding a few new scents to wear. I'm 29 years old, former military, in good shape, and live in Louisiana where its hot 9 months out of the year. I go to school during the day and work as a sommelier at night, so it doesn't hurt to have more than one style of fragrance. Now, I've always been a big fan of scents, but I've never really had a large collection of them. I usually only have 3 or 4 at any one time, but I would like to start a larger collection. At the same time, though, I'm very picky about which scents that I like. Below I'll list some scents that I own or have owned and liked, but let me start off letting you know what I don't like. I absolutely can't stand anything gourmand. I hate anything with the scent of vanilla, sugar, or anything sweet and I dislike anything that even dries down to even a slightly sweet aroma. I also severely dislike anything with a noticably musky scent. Many of the frags that I've tried lately have smelled great on paper and when I first put them on, but they dry down to something musky, excessively powdery, or sweet. Lastly, I don't really care for anything Oriental and/or spicy. It just doesn't work on my skin. I guess you could say that I mainly like scents that are either clean, water-driven, oceanic, some fresh fougere, most citrus, and some fresh chypre. Most warm scents tend to not work well on me as my skin tends to warm up scents that others might find too sharp or bright, but at the same time, it over-pronounces warmer scents and I get tons of sugar and musk.
    There are some exceptions, but not many.

I like scents that are fresh, clean, ozonic, green ( Mint, Eucalyptus, Pine, Fresh Grass ) quite often with citrus scents ( Lemon, Mandarin leaf, Bergamot, Grapefruit ) and sometimes with white flowers ( magnolia, lily, subtle jasmine ) and/or cyclamen, oakmoss, petitgrain, cedar, and sandalwood. Here are scents that I either own, have owned, or have tried lately and liked:

1. Cool Water ( original ) by Davidoff - cheesy, many people hate it, smells ok on paper, but smells great on me, most people who recognize it on others don't recognize it on me. A staple for years.
    2. Lemon EdTby Art of Shaving - A recent purchase, works really well for me, but not something I could wear every day. Love the combo of Lemon, Bergamot, Cyclamen, Oakmoss and Vetiver.
    3. Derring-Do by Ineke - My only other recent purchase.....very fresh and clean. Warms up to a bit more powdery than I usually prefer, but I still enjoy it. There's that Citrus and Cyclamen again. It gets major bonus points because no one has ever heard of it or knows where to get it.
    4. L'eau Par Kenzo by Kenzo - Just had a sample, slightly too watery cleaning product smell, but still decent. I would buy a bottle if found for cheap.
    5. Sandalwood by Art of Shaving - I haven't bought this, but have enjoyed it at the store. Its definitely a cooler weather scent, but I like that it is not sweet and it has some eucalyptus and other notes that brighten it up a bit.
    6. Eternity Summer by Calvin Klein - A long time ago, I wore the original Eternity, but it doesn't really do it for me now. I tried this recently and it works really well on my skin, and as much as I like citrus, the melon in this one makes it light and fresh. This is the only type of sweetness I can tolerate. Its a slight fruitiness, but not sugary or vanilla.
    7. Burberry Summer & Burberry Touch - The only Burberry scents I have liked. Both dry down a little too powdery violet and lavender, but they are still nice scents.
    8. Hugo Pure by Hugo Boss - Decent scent that I have worn a few times recently from samples. Its ok, and I would wear it, but I'd like it if it had more brightness and freshness.

Other fragrances that I've worn in the past and liked : Eau D'Orange Verte by Hermes, 1805 by Truefitt and Hill, Eternity by CK, Pleasures by Estee Lauder, Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren, Drakkar Noir ( the only big musky scent that I've ever liked )

Scents that I aboslutely HATE ( no offense to those who love these, they're just horrible on me ) Basically, I normally avoid anything that is sweet or musky.......or anything with scents of vanilla, tonka bean, amber, patchouli, bourbon, or black pepper. Basically, nothing sweet, musky, spicy, or oriental.

1. Angel Men by T. Mugler - So sickeningly sweet, it is the perfect example of why gourmands don't work on my skin.
    2. Azzarro Chrome by Azzarro - This one is a decent example of something that I thought smelled decent at first, but then dries down into a syrupy sweet mess on my skin.
    3. Spanish Leather by Truefitt and Hill - Anything like this with tobacco, liquor and/or muskyness is the complete opposite of what I'm looking for.
    4. Aqua de Bulgari PH by Bulgari - This is the type of fruity scents that I dislike. On me this smells like an overly sweet artificial watermelon syrup
    5. Polo ( original ) by Ralph Lauren - Too heavy, too musky....just the opposite of my style.
    6. Obsession by CK - Very different from Polo, but still at the opposite end of the spectrum from me.
    7. Euphoria by CK - I smelled this very recently and liked it on paper, but like so many others, it turned sweet on my skin.

I rarely like unisex scents. For example, I've absolutely abhorred every CK unisex ( CK1, CKBe, CK Electric ). However, I do tend to like some men's scents that may not be labeled unisex, but could possibly work as such ( Lemon EDT, Cool Water, Eternity Summer for Men )

I know this is a lot to read, but I know that the people around here are very knowledgeable and I'm trying to provide as much information as possible. Unfortunately, it seems that every dept store around here no longer gives out samples, only a meager spritz on a scrap of paper which does me no good because scents often change considerably on my skin. So , I would have to go to the mall every day to try and spray all of them on my skin. Sephora gives out samples, but I've gotten different ones there enough that they're starting to look at me funny. I did find a local store that sells Creed, so I'm going to try to get a few samples from there. Anyway, the point is that I'm really trying to find a few more scents to build up my collection, but I don't have the money to waste on stuff that I don't like and my ability to get samples is quite limited. Hopefully, if I can garner some quality recommendations from the people in the know ( you ), then I can look around and buy samples of them online.

Of course scents preferences are subjective and what one likes, another might not, but I hope I've given a good idea of what I prefer. In my line of work, nothing is more frustrating than someone who wants something very particular, but can't clearly explain what it is that they like, much less what it is that they don't.

Another reason I came to this website is because I like fragrances that people aren't as familiar with. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm trying to build up my collection, so if you think I'll like a certain mainstream scent ( except for Acqua Di Gio, its way overplayed ), then don't hesitate to name it.......but I'd definitely like some new or less common fragrances, as well.

Thank you in advance for any help that you can provide.

Jester

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Looking for fragrance recommendations......( long )

Think Caron's Yatagan (nothing fresher), Third man, or Creed's Green Valley.
    Last edited by richard d; 30th August 2008 at 01:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Terre D'Hermes

Post Thanks / Like

Acqua di Parma - Colonia Assoluta (has some light musk in the base notes but not that noticeable)
    Kenzo Power - (floral scent which you may or may not like)
    Mugler Cologne or Creed Original Vetiver (they're very similar)
    Puro Lino
    Gendarme
    Hugh Parsons Blue

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Yves Saint-Laurent Live Jazz
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme.

cool as f*ck, always.

Post Thanks / Like

Christian LaCroix's Bazaar is very ozonic.

Lanvin's Oxygene, L'Eau d'Issey, Halston Unbound, Nautica original, Nautica Voyage, Rochas Aquaman, and Nautilus Aqua might also meet your requirments.

Possibly even Creed's Erolfa.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 30th August 2008 at 04:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Very clean with white flowers: La Cologne Fleur du Male. Read the reviews of it.
    I've just read that in the USA it's rather hard -if possible at all- to get it.

Canali Men Prestige Edition. Again, read the reviews, very clean feeling, more people said that it has the feeling of clean shirts.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the recommendations so far. The hard part is going to be finding them to smell or find decants/samples so I can check them out.

Welcome aboard Jester, if you want some good non sweet scents I've got a couple of thoughts for you:

Versace Black Jeans
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Bulgari Pour Homme Extreme
    Rive Gauche
    Lalique Encre Noir
    Frederick Malle French Lover
    MPG Eau Des Iles

What throws me for a loop is this: You say you like Burberry Touch and Eternity Summer but you say you dislike sweets and musk. Touch is sweet and the base is musk, so I think you might be confusing yourself a little here. I might be way off.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry for the confusion. I went scent shopping yesterday and found out that it was Burberry Summer that I liked.......not Burberry Touch. I do still like Eternity Summer, and yes, it is a bit fruity and sweet, but not in the same sense that I'm talking about. Some scents have a musky sweet or spicy sweet or simply sugary or vanilla sweet aroma. That is what I dont care for.......Hmmm, for example, I smelled YSL Pour Homme yesterday, and it was too sweet. Blue Sugar and A*Men are extreme examples of what I try to avoid.

Yesterday was my first experience with Creed. I smelled about 15 of thier fragrances and came home with samples of 5......Green Irish Tweed, Original Vetiver, Silver Mtn Water, Himalaya, and Royal Water. In also like Erolfa, but it was a bit too flowery and the scent was so light I could barely smell it on paper after 3 sprays. Of the five I brought home, I really liked all of them on paper, and I don't know if it was the hype or what, but Green Irish Tweed didn't seem to live up to the hype, on paper. However, when I got home last night I decided to try it on. So I put a drop or two on my wrist and forearm and throat and BAM......the scent it completely different and I LOVE IT. So, while Original Vetiver was my favorite on paper, we'll have to see as it seems that Creed fragrances change even moreso than usual on my skin.

Here's a few others that I liked and brought home samples of:

Egoiste Platinum by Chanel ( not m normal style, but nice )
    Wall Street by Bond No. 9
    Bleeker St by Bond No. 9
    Dior Homme Sport by Christian Dior
    Essential by Lacoste ( really nice )
    Allure Sport by Chanel
    Bulgari Extreme PH by Bulgari

I have a kinda Love/Hate relationship with the next two......

Dirty English by Joucy Couture ( I really love the top notes on this and if it dried into something slightly woody with less musk and leather, then it would be great......still, I seem to keep trying it and smell it continually. A strange attraction.

Chrome Legend by Azzaro ( The fresh oceanic notes are great, but its quite sweet underneath. Like it in a wierd way, but would probably never wear it outside of my house.

Thanks for the continual advise, gents. I was looking for some Acqua di Parma fragrances yesterday, but no one seemed to have them. I've had a few folks recommend some for me. Do you think any of them would work?

Thanks again!

Jester

This may be a bit off the mark but it has a lot of notes you are looking for:

Maitre Perfumer et Gantier - Centaure

It starts out with a blast of lavender with barely perceptible citrus, and a bit of a bitter note woven in that keeps the lavender from being 'laundry detergent like'. It is a bit sweet at this point, but not sugary or artificial in any way as so many designer scents are, just sweet in the way a fresh lavender blossom is. Mint is not immediately noticeable but it becomes more and more predominant within the first hour, lending a very fresh and cool aura to the scent. As the scent progresses, light florals (a hint of jasmine) and slightly smokey woods enter the mix. The scent becomes less and less sweet as time goes on and grows deeper as well, but the impression is never that it becomes a heavy scent, despite the base being heavier and richer than your typical fresh scent, and that is solely due to the wonderful blending of the accords that lead to extremely smooth transitions and as such the overall olfactory impression retains a lot of the freshness of the top and heart notes.

The scent to me, captures the memory of a carefree walk through the woods in wintertime, snowflakes lazily drifting down as dusk descends. The cool caress of a gentle wind carrying the smell of the nearby trees and the faintest smoke of a distant fire.

-----

Regarding your last question, I've only tried AdP Colonia, and I think you will love it. I guess I could compare it slightly to Lacoste Essential except that in Colonia the citrus is done better, the rose is done better, the transitions are done better (well, it actually has different stages of development, unlike the very linear Essential) - the only area where you may find fault is in its longevity. For me it lasts all day, but I know many only get a few hours out of this one.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

And based on your liking of Dior Homme, amongst others, I'd say it's not that you dislike sweetness in your frags, but that you detest that sickeningly artificial sweetness that plagues so many designer (and niche!) scents.. and I understand that sentiment entirely.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Post Thanks / Like

I have on the Allure Sport right now, and just like so many others, this one turns too sweet and baby powdery once it hits my skin. I really hate that. Its seems like 50%-60% of scents that I try, no matter what the top notes smell like, dry down to that same damn sweet baby powder scent that I simply can't stand.

I only brought home the sample of Dior Sport because the sales rep insisted that she loved it, and it was new so they were doing some sort of promotion. If I recall, it smelled ok on paper, but keep in mind that I have yet to try most of these on my skin. In fact, from the few that I have tried, I've already decided that I......

1. Absolutely Love Green Irish Tweed by Creed

2. Really, really, like Original Vetiver by Creed

3. Really dislike Allure Sport by Chanel

When I get samples, I'll try out a few over the course of the day, so I'm sure I'll test the others on my skin over the next day or two. Of course, I may be testing them in some warm conditions after this damn Hurricane Gustav comes and F#@$# Up some Sh%T and I lose electricity for days upon end.

Thanks again for the help,

Jester

Try Givenchy Pour Homme Blue Label...

Looking at your list, I think You'll be an instant fan of Silver Mountain Water.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are a few I think you would LOVE based on your information-

Jaipur by Boucheron (MUST try the EdP verison)
    Creed Original Santal
    Parfum D'Empire Aziyade
    Bvlgari Blv (and Blv Notte)
    Armani Attitude
    Givenchy Very Irresistible
    Serge Lutens Five O'Clock Au Gingembre
    Visa by Robert Piguet
    L'Artisan Mechant Loup

to name a few. I'm absolutely certain you'll love Visa!