Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default White Patchouli by Tom Ford

Being a lover of Tom Ford fragrances, I eagerly anticipated the release of his newest White Patchouli. Yes, it's marketed to women. But so was Black Orchid when it was released - and now TF markets it to men (and rightly so, many men on here wear it!).

Let me start of by mentioning two other scents, that IMO, share a similar floral/patchouli profile like WP: Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan and Cannabis Rose by Fresh.

Voleur de Roses was one of my first full bottle niche fragrance purchases when I joined Basenotes. I still remember the first day I smelled it. I think I described it as 'a vase full of roses, left to sit for a week in old water, and then removed - that smell!'. I gave VdR several full wearings before I started searching online for more comments on the scent - when I realized that VdR has a healthy dose of patchouli. Really, I thought? Patchouli? In VdR? I thought I knew that patchouli smelled like. It seems I didn't.

Fast forward to acquiring a large decant of Cannabis Rose by Fresh - a crisp, green, slightly 'sour' take on roses and their petals, stems...the whole flower. There's a tangy quality to CR that I found irresistible, I assumed it was aldehydes mixing with the rose notes. But then I found out CR has patchouli in it. Here we go again, I thought! I almost started to think I was anosmic to it (which seemed impossible - I smell it very prominently in scents like Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens and Patchouli Patch by L' Artisan) - yet here it was again...doing a strange dance with roses. CR also has a 'dirty' aura midway into the drydown (not dirty as in animalic - dirty as in 'dirt').

Leading to...White Patchouli by Tom Ford. It's almost as if the patchouli note has been hard wired to the rose in the top notes. Rose scented patchouli, if you will. That same tangy, cool feeling to my nose appears. Camphor perhaps? But instead of staying with the rose, the scent widens and encompasses a much more shimmery woody effect.

For a Tom Ford scent, WP is extremely subtle. It's diffusion is almost immediately to the space, just outside of your personal space. When I spray it on, it feels like I have a 'cloud' of WP all around me, rather than one emanating up from my skin to my nose (this same effect is achieved by L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer - I have no idea how the perfumers do it, but it's magical!). Which is strange - because I am very surprised that Tom Ford came out with a subtle fragrance!

The other notes (bergamot, white peony, jasmine, ambrette seed) I don't really smell. Although the fantastically warm drydown (which almost smells 'brown' - if that makes sense) contains some coriander, although not quite as 'nutty' as that note can be. This corainder note seems more polished and slightly sweet. Clean! Nothing like the dirtiness of the two scents I mentioned above (or Black Orchid for that matter).

The longevity of this is above average. Sillage (as I mentioned above) is below average, which is fine with me, as I usually don't like to leave a trail of scent behind me when I'm wearing a woman's fragrance.

The WP bottle and packaging are top notch (as I tend to expect from Mr. Ford). Even if the white, ribbed glass bottle does look a little like Godiva White Chocolate liquer.

One more thing: This shares almost NOTHING in common with Purple Patchouli by Tom Ford (Private Blends). PP smells like..well, PP doesn't really smell like patchouli. White Patchouli does.

On Tomford.com - the always fierce Erykah Badu models the scent (photographed by the inimitable Mert & Marcus).
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 4th May 2011 at 09:13 PM.
    "Human interaction can be hell. Or it can be a great spiritual practice."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Sur la Plage

Default Re: White Patchouli by Tom Ford

I was curious what your thoughts on this were Mike - I was going to PM you.

I have tried White Patchouli three times so far - and I just don't seem to be really thrilled with it. There is some sort of unpleasant sourness that develops on me as it dry downs. It is something I want to like, but just don't think it is going to work for me.

However, I absolutely love Voleur de Roses and Cannabis Rose. I thought they were fantastic from the very first time I tried them.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 30th August 2008 at 12:05 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

very good review. The scent "cloud" phenomena is something I've encountered in some of the Parfumerie Generale fragrances as well and I agree it's a fantastic effect.

It's interesting to note that WP has Ambrette Seeds listed as a note, I believe this is what's painting "brown" in your olfactory visuals. Just one question, is WP ANY dirty at all?

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    very good review. The scent "cloud" phenomena is something I've encountered in some of the Parfumerie Generale fragrances as well and I agree it's a fantastic effect.

It's interesting to note that WP has Ambrette Seeds listed as a note, I believe this is what's painting "brown" in your olfactory visuals. Just one question, is WP ANY dirty at all?
    Well, I am not sure I can smell ambrette seeds because they usually smelly 'musky', no? Maybe it is. Whatever it is, it smells brown.

And no, White Patchouli does not smell dirty at all. It's almost anti-dirty. Guess that's why Ford chose the 'White' in the title?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 30th August 2008 at 07:13 PM.

-- Eckhart Tolle

This fragrance is absolutely superb!

I might have asked for a more visceral patchouli to sustain the base but the scent is totally skinintimate in every way!
    "Fragrance weaves a necklace of perfumed memories" M.B.
    "If perfume be the food of love, spray on' M.B.

Thanks, Mike, I like your review of this. I'm a lover of the Tom Fords, too. It took me a second wearing to really like White Patchouli (I'm glad I didn't get rid of my sample ). I still have a hard time detecting many single notes in fragrances, but the drydown in this made me finally discover a similarity within the Tom Ford line (or at least what my unrefined nose thinks it discovered) - it's that 'brown' smell you refer to, but I was thinking it was more along the lines of the beeswax in Moss Breches and Velvet Gardenia. But White Patchouli doesn't show beeswax absolute in the notes, so what is that similarity? I don't get it from Black Orchid, btw.

Blog Entries

I wasn't expecting much from White Patchouli based on reviews I've read. But I was positively surprised by it. Its only second to Noir de Noir IMO (atleast at this time, without the price tag of Private Collection).
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Thanks for the post on this Mike... I am desperately looking forward to trying this!

Thanks for the review Mike! You have sold me on it I definately will be trying it soon and now I can actually give my friend who is interested in it some useful info.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisewater View Post
    Thanks, Mike, I like your review of this. I'm a lover of the Tom Fords, too. It took me a second wearing to really like White Patchouli (I'm glad I didn't get rid of my sample ). I still have a hard time detecting many single notes in fragrances, but the drydown in this made me finally discover a similarity within the Tom Ford line (or at least what my unrefined nose thinks it discovered) - it's that 'brown' smell you refer to, but I was thinking it was more along the lines of the beeswax in Moss Breches and Velvet Gardenia. But White Patchouli doesn't show beeswax absolute in the notes, so what is that similarity? I don't get it from Black Orchid, btw.
    Maybe it is a musk (which is what ambrette seed notes smell like)? Honestly, I didn't think it smelled like a Tom Ford fragrance (whatever that means), probably due to it's subtle character.

I love that beeswax smell in MB, but I definitely do not smell that in WP.

Quote Originally Posted by mudassir View Post
    I wasn't expecting much from White Patchouli based on reviews I've read. But I was positively surprised by it. Its only second to Noir de Noir IMO (atleast at this time, without the price tag of Private Collection).
    Yeah, when I first tested this, I thought to myself - hmm...I wonder why Tom Ford chose to release this kind of a scent under his name, rather than as a Private Blend? I think it had a lot to do with the counterbalance (yin/yang) of Black Orchid vs White Patchouli. They really are worlds apart. Plus, I think when you're dropping serious $ on the Private Blends, you don't want a subtle scent - even if it does smell good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Thanks for the post on this Mike... I am desperately looking forward to trying this!
    Oh that's right - I forget that TF releases stuff here in the US before Europe. Yes, Dimitri - I thought of you when I tried it since I know that you and I appreciate a lot of Mr. Ford's fragrances. I am desperately looking forward to hearing your review of WP.

Quote Originally Posted by tdi View Post
    Thanks for the review Mike! You have sold me on it I definately will be trying it soon and now I can actually give my friend who is interested in it some useful info.
    You're welcome T.

Please try this one before you buy - as much as I like it, I never recommend blind buys.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Thanks for a good read mike - rose and patchouli...based on your impressions, I am still not clear how WP differs from Cannabis Rose .. is it more spicy?
    -

I love patchouli in its darker, earthier forms (two new favorites are Bois 1920 Real Patchouli and Montale Patchouli Leaves) so this wasn't a HUGE hit for me but I did like it. FOR SOME REASON, because the bottle looks kinda like white chocolate, I thought it would have a creamy chocolatey patchouli phase (silly, I know) and it doesn't. Anyway, I was VERY happy that the SA didn't even flinch when i wanted to try it... He eagerly sprayed himself (I was reserving space for other things that day) and let me take big whiffs. I finally put it on and went away with a sample. I gave the sample to my mom and I liked it better on her, perhaps because I was enjoying it from a distance because up close I get what joe got which is something a little too sour. I need to keep testing though

p.s. I love Cannabis Rose and sort of feel it's a Black Aoud LIGHT, at least at the beginning As I walked around with it on, I fell in love with the pathchouli wafts I would get throughout the day.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Thanks for a good read mike - rose and patchouli...based on your impressions, I am still not clear how WP differs from Cannabis Rose .. is it more spicy?
    WP is not as 'sharp' or 'green' as CR in the top notes. In addition, the evolution of WP is soft, fuzzy and subtle. Woody too. CR stays very linear during the top and middle notes, and adds a little dirt and tea to the mix at the base notes. WP doesn't.

No, I don't think WP is more spicy. In fact, I don't think of it as a spicy scent at all (as, say CdG Eau de Parfum is).

Having said that, I think the 'heart' of both WP and CR, are very closely connected.

-- Eckhart Tolle

thanks mike for your superb introduction & review .. as usual..

so rose, peony & patchouli, .. I wonder how far is it different form YSL Elle?
    can we consider it as a member of the rose/ musk family ... such as : Stella McCartney, Narciso Rodriguez for her, Voleur de Roses , Lancome Mille et Une Roses / 2000 Et Une Rose & YSL Elle?

Dimitri -

You will like this one. It bears a resemblance to Costume Nat'l Scent Intense.

Thanks for the review Mike,
    peony and patchouli, wow, can't wait to try this!
    I just hope it will be not too feminine and not too fleeting

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post
    I love patchouli in its darker, earthier forms (two new favorites are Bois 1920 Real Patchouli and Montale Patchouli Leaves) so this wasn't a HUGE hit for me but I did like it. FOR SOME REASON, because the bottle looks kinda like white chocolate, I thought it would have a creamy chocolatey patchouli phase (silly, I know) and it doesn't. Anyway, I was VERY happy that the SA didn't even flinch when i wanted to try it... He eagerly sprayed himself (I was reserving space for other things that day) and let me take big whiffs. I finally put it on and went away with a sample. I gave the sample to my mom and I liked it better on her, perhaps because I was enjoying it from a distance because up close I get what joe got which is something a little too sour. I need to keep testing though

p.s. I love Cannabis Rose and sort of feel it's a Black Aoud LIGHT, at least at the beginning As I walked around with it on, I fell in love with the pathchouli wafts I would get throughout the day.
    Yes, there is that sour note, to my nose as well, but I like it. The way it blends with the other notes is part of it's appeal to me. I just decanted some WP for someone and it fell all over my fingers and this scent is just so unique.

Yes, as you said, it smells much better from afar rather than smelling it up close to where you sprayed it. As I said above, that's what happened when my boss complimented me on it. I just had walked into his office and didn't even realized I was pumping out sillage and I guess he liked what he smelled.

Glad you like CR too. Black Aoud Light? LOL...I'm not sure I agree with you. More like Fat Free Black Aoud..

Quote Originally Posted by tariq View Post
    thanks mike for your superb introduction & review .. as usual..

so rose, peony & patchouli, .. I wonder how far is it different form YSL Elle?
    can we consider it as a member of the rose/ musk family ... such as : Stella McCartney, Narciso Rodriguez for her, Voleur de Roses , Lancome Mille et Une Roses / 2000 Et Une Rose & YSL Elle?
    Sorry tariq, I only smelled Elle one time at Neiman's in Beverly Hills and maybe it was because I had smelled a ton of things that day, but I thought it was horrible.

The only fragrance I would associate WP with, from those you listed, is Voleur de Roses. I would not classify WP as a rose/musk. More like a woody floral.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent View Post
    Thanks for the review Mike,
    peony and patchouli, wow, can't wait to try this!
    I just hope it will be not too feminine and not too fleeting
    Report back when you give it a full wearing M.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 3rd September 2008 at 03:07 AM.

-- Eckhart Tolle

I finally got to try White Patchouli at Neimans earlier this week... I really liked what I smelled on the card, though they were out of samples and I already had my arms sprayed up, prohibiting proper skin testing. I'm looking forward to further sampling.

Mmmmmm, I have to thank Mike for sending a WP sample... I have sprayed it this evening and so far am EXTREMELY intrigued. This is one of those scents that keeps me sniffing my wrists throughout the night... and I think I'm falling for it. Hard.

I will be writing a full WP review this week in my blog... in the meantime, I strongly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a new interpretation of patchouli. Veeeeery more-ish!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    When I spray it on, it feels like I have a 'cloud' of WP all around me, rather than one emanating up from my skin to my nose
    is this effect like the one we get in L'instant by Guerlain..? also Issey Bleue and SL Chergui...?

Thnx for the excellent Post Mike! was an interestin read :toppie:

Basenotes Institution

Mmmmmm, I have to thank Mike for sending a WP sample... I have sprayed it this evening and so far am EXTREMELY intrigued. This is one of those scents that keeps me sniffing my wrists throughout the night... and I think I'm falling for it. Hard.

I will be writing a full WP review this week in my blog... in the meantime, I strongly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a new interpretation of patchouli. Veeeeery more-ish!
    Glad to see that you took a liking to it D.

Yes, a new interpretation of patchouli, for sure. Well, that is...another new interpretation of patchouli, since Purple Patchouli by Tom Ford (Private Blends) is quite unique as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    is this effect like the one we get in L'instant by Guerlain..? also Issey Bleue and SL Chergui...?

Thnx for the excellent Post Mike! was an interestin read :toppie:
    I have only smelled these 3 scents from testers while browsing dept. stores...sorry I have never given any of them full wearings to be able to respond if I get the same 'cloud' effect. Maybe someone else can answer jenson's question.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 9th September 2008 at 09:33 PM.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Ive been pleased to wear this for several days now, and have just fully reviewed it in My Blog.

Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 11th September 2008 at 12:25 PM.

Ive been pleased to wear this for several days now, and have just fully reviewed it in My Blog.

wow Dimi, your Blog looks fabulous! and yes, as always, a great view on scents, thnx!
    Last edited by jenson; 11th September 2008 at 12:57 PM.

Basenotes Institution

So I see you had 'longevity' issues with WP also Dimitri. Personally I don't mind it that much (most Tom Ford scents tend to stick around too long...), and when I want a very complex and very sexy subtle scent, it is easy to reach for WP.

Blog Entries

I don't have any "longevity" issues with White Patchouli. But that might have something to do with me usually spraying a couple of spritz on my shirt as well.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

So I see you had 'longevity' issues with WP also Dimitri. Personally I don't mind it that much (most Tom Ford scents tend to stick around too long...), and when I want a very complex and very sexy subtle scent, it is easy to reach for WP.
    I dont see it as being too much of an issue... I do enjoy WP, and perhaps if applied with an atomizer, its likely to diffuse the molecules a bit better. Thanks again for allowing me to try this Mike... I think on a future visit abroad (as Ford is not available ANYWHERE in Scandinavia), I will have to grab a bottle.

Very good review Dimi

I have smelled NR for Her and I can relate to the opening phenomena you mention

Also, the bottle looks adorable with its White + Gold combination .. crisp!

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

The opening was extremely exquisite and classy. It smelt like it should have been in the private blend line (close to Noir et Noir) but it degrades in the middle and base. It smells a little familiar but I can't pick it out yet. Believe it or not, but I get a bit of amber and the jasmine really stands out. It also reminds me of citron cough candies.

It's okay. A decent designer attempt, but it smells like something the 20ish year old female crowd who wear the skinny jeans, ballet flats, oversized bags and sunglasses would wear. Not my thing.

Oh, God! This one almost became a scrubber! For most of its duration, I mainly smelt melting plastic and onion soup on my skin. I'll try and conjure up the courage to test it again, sometime soon, but I'm still recovering from the ordeal...

Excellent review Mike!

I liked WP. I don't know that I'd buy a bottle, but at least it's not a copy of every other scent out there. I'll have to give it a couple more wearings to decide. On a slightly off topic note, did anyone see the collector's box of small roll on bottles for the Tom Ford Private Collection? It contains one of each scent in the collection.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 22nd October 2008 at 03:08 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    Excellent review Mike!

I liked WP. I don't know that I'd buy a bottle, but at least it's not a copy of every other scent out there. I'll have to give it a couple more wearings to decide. On a slightly off topic note, did anyone see the collector's box of small roll on bottles for the Tom Ford Private Collection? It contains one of each scent in the collection.
    Thanks.

I snagged a tester online, which is a small bottle and is just enough for me. It's nice to have a subtle patchouli/rose scent in my wardrobe that doesn't scream 'green' and feels luxurious at the same time.

No, I didn't realize the Private Blend oils were already out. Did you see them at Saks Fifth Avenue (which I thought got the exclusive on these)?

On a slightly off topic note, did anyone see the collector's box of small roll on bottles for the Tom Ford Private Collection? It contains one of each scent in the collection.
    I saw these last weekend. I sniffed at a few of them, they smelled pretty much like the edp. I skin tested the Neroli and I really couldn't tell the difference. Longevity was about the same as the normal bottles. btw the oils are labeled as EDP on the box not sure if that was a mistake or what. Maybe it's just all 12 EDPs in roll-on vials?

Thanks.

I snagged a tester online, which is a small bottle and is just enough for me. It's nice to have a subtle patchouli/rose scent in my wardrobe that doesn't scream 'green' and feels luxurious at the same time.

No, I didn't realize the Private Blend oils were already out. Did you see them at Saks Fifth Avenue (which I thought got the exclusive on these)?
    They are at the South Coast Plaza Nordstroms. I think they are EDP. Maybe I'm wrong and they are oils...

Quote Originally Posted by Futami View Post
    I saw these last weekend. I sniffed at a few of them, they smelled pretty much like the edp. I
    They are at the South Coast Plaza Nordstroms. I think they are EDP. Maybe I'm wrong and they are oils...
    Did either of you chaps happen to get a price on the set?
    I was initially told approx 150GBP, and later advised approximately 250GBP.

Basenotes Institution

Did either of you chaps happen to get a price on the set?
    I was initially told approx 150GBP, and later advised approximately 250GBP.
    Guys...I'm thinking this topic needs it's own thread. TF fans might not realize this valuable info is in the middle of a thread on White Patchouli? I think someone should start a new thread about the roll on EdP vials.

Speaking of White Patchouli, I was delighted to see it stocked by a reliable Danish perfume site. This is almost too good to be true, as Ford Beauty does not have any bricks and mortar representation in Scandinavia! booo!
    Here's a link... http://www.parfumeshop.dk/shop/tom-ford-m-289.html
    I wonder how prices compare to retail as compared, for example, to our German neighbours??
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 23rd October 2008 at 04:36 PM.

Guys...I'm thinking this topic needs it's own thread. TF fans might not realize this valuable info is in the middle of a thread on White Patchouli? I think someone should start a new thread about the roll on EdP vials.
    Done. Sorry about hijacking the thread

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Futami View Post
    Done. Sorry about hijacking the thread
    Thanks!

I finally had the chance to try White Patchouli the last weekend and I found it pretty amazing. On my skin it smelled very sparkling and fresh-floral in the opening, dominated by the peony which smell I really like also in nature. This is a good peony note quite realistic with even the dirty vibe (maybe the indolic role of night jasmine?) you can smell putting peony flowers really close to your nostrils. The peony then calms a bit down still veining the scent till the drydown which shows a dry patchouli base, not sweet nor gourmand at all like Black Orchid. I couldn't detect any incense trace on me, just maybe slight resinous (and strangely balsamic) hints giving to patchouly quite a surreal twist.
    It's maybe not the kind of scent you can wear everyday, but it's quite uncommon (too bad the peony note is so rarely used in such a huge way) and I might own a small bottle sooner or later.

I personally love this scent despite its marketing I find the scent to be extremely unisex...It has a sultry coziness that many men will find to their liking.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent View Post
    I finally had the chance to try White Patchouli the last weekend and I found it pretty amazing. On my skin it smelled very sparkling and fresh-floral in the opening, dominated by the peony which smell I really like also in nature. This is a good peony note quite realistic with even the dirty vibe (maybe the indolic role of night jasmine?) you can smell putting peony flowers really close to your nostrils. The peony then calms a bit down still veining the scent till the drydown which shows a dry patchouli base, not sweet nor gourmand at all like Black Orchid. I couldn't detect any incense trace on me, just maybe slight resinous (and strangely balsamic) hints giving to patchouly quite a surreal twist.
    It's maybe not the kind of scent you can wear everyday, but it's quite uncommon (too bad the peony note is so rarely used in such a huge way) and I might own a small bottle sooner or later.
    I"m unfamiliar with the peony note Magnifiscent, I don't think peonies grow in S. Florida (??). Nonetheless I'm glad you liked WP and yes, it has an appealing strangeness to it that compliments my wardrobe nicely.

Basenotes Institution

I just read an article today on patchouli and the blogger mentioned a new fragrance ingredient that Givaudan created called Patchouli Orpur.

It is the 'clean' patchouli that is featured in White Patchouli and gives it '...the heft associated with patchouli, but none of its sharp malodorous qualities...'

I think this is the same ingredient applied to Cannabis Rose by Fresh.

This makes sense, MP... in fact one of my only complaints with WP is the lack of patchouli punch. Perhaps this same material is also used in 'patchouli lite' fragrance Noir Patchouli by Histoire des Parfums.

Can someone compare White Patchouli to Purple Patchouli? I've been curious about Purple for a while but haven't gotten around to sampling it.

White Patchouli is very similar ti the old cheap Lancome Magie Noir, to me the longlivity is poor.

rgds

mn
    scent up your life!

I was at Sephora the other day. After I'd tried all the mens' scents that interested me, I decided to walk over to the "chick" side, and sniff some perfumes. I tried Shalimar, because it had been ages since I smelled it (really good) and some others. Then I walked over to the Tom Ford Black Orchid. Man, I really like it. I may get a bottle at some point. Not something I'd likely wear, but I find it very interesting. But anyway, I saw this White Patchouli and tried a few spritzes on paper. I liked it. It reminded me initially of Montale's White Aoud, with the patchouli, rose and vanilla. I wish I'd have tried it on skin to see how it wore. I'll get a sample of it next time I go in. Not bad stuff at all.

I sprayed this on a sample paper, and thought it smelt absolutely divine. It is very unisex in feel, but I will spray it on my skin to see if it develops accordingly as it did on the sample paper. On the sample paper I get a boozy rose infused patchouli, which is just intoxicating.