Code of Conduct

Default What is your favorite WINTER/FALL EdC? (<$100 pref.)

Fall and winter are around the corner. I, like a good little consumer, have been stocking up on the goodies I will need to weather the Kansas snowstorms and zero degree Fahrenheit weather.

I just noticed a glaring hole in my wardrobe, however. All my winter scents are strong enough to gag a horse! I have scents for work and scents for play, but they are all weapons-grade spice bombs or doused in buckets of vanilla syrup. What I need to round out my 'drobe is a nice winter EdC or skin-scent EdT. Something that works equally well in all seasons is great too, of course.

I am open to all suggestions! I would prefer fragrances that are reasonably priced, though. And, hopefully something that won't be too frightening to the locals

Default Re: What is your favorite WINTER/FALL EdC? (<$100 pref.)

Burberry London would work magically in cold weather...as would L'air du desert marocain and Musc Ravageur. The list can go on and on, so i'll just stop here : )

H.M. Hanae Mori edT is quite light, but still great in winter. Its like a lighter A*Men without the tar, and with some very confusing citrus + menthol notes at the start.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Lol well Musc and L'air would work except for the fact that neither one of them are skin scents, neither one of them are EDCs, and neither one of them are under 100 dollars.

Scooter: How do you feel about leather scents? I find them more suited to fall and winter, less cloying than vanilla gourmand syrup disasters, and less threatening to the masses. Have you tried Bel Ami or John Varvatos? Either the original or the Vintage?

Edit: I forgot that Habit Rouge has an EDC available, you might want to try that.
    Last edited by shalashaska; 30th August 2008 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shalashaska View Post
    Lol well MKK and L'air would work except for the fact that neither one of them are skin scents, neither one of them are EDCs, and neither one of them are under 100 dollars.

Scooter: How do you feel about leather scents? I find them more suited to fall and winter, less cloying than vanilla gourmand syrup disasters, and less threatening to the masses. Have you tried Bel Ami or John Varvatos? Either the original or the Vintage?

Edit: I forgot that Habit Rouge has an EDC available, you might want to try that.
    I haven't tried Bel Ami yet. I have a sample of Varvatos original and I do enjoy it. I seem to be the odd duck who doesn't get any leather out of it, unfortunately. I should revisit it though. I remember being fond of it. I think I like leather, but I have never found one that quite matches up with me. Michael Kors for Men is my favorite so far (some people don't find any leather there, but on me there is).

Good call on the Habit Rouge. I have been meaning to try that one and I forgot there is an EDC.
    Last edited by Big_Scooter; 30th August 2008 at 07:24 AM.

If you don't mind me asking Big, what's in your wardrobe now anyway? Because I think you might be trying to overcompensate for your sweet fragrances a little too much if you go for EdCs or skin scents in the winter. The reason I love the winter so much is that I can bust out almost anything and not have to worry about it being too hot to wear. Just a thought.

If I see your wardrobe I might be able to make a better recommendation, but another one I just thought of is Patricia Nicolai's New York. Wearable in any season too.

Bvlgari Black. Very nice one. Doesn't blast with sillage. Isn't sickeningly sweet. The vanilla is not overstated like in a lot of scents I've come across that you described as not liking. But it is there in the base certainly, along with a nice, SMOOTH smokey quality. Can be purchased for cheap on sites like scentiments, where I got mine. 25-30 bucks for 2.5oz.

I also think you should try Jaipur (Eau du Parfum version) by Boucheron, though it may be too sweet. Prominent cinnamon. But it's so, SO nice.

I am trying to keep it pretty small. Right now my full bottles for winter are Ungaro III, l'anarchiste by Caron, Rive Gauche PH, and Ralph Lauren Safari. A few of my decant staples (won't go into them all) are Caron Pour un Homme and Third Man, Body Kouros, and Kenzo Jungle. I won't go into samples.

I don't seem to have any favorite notes for winter time yet, except possibly cedar. In my summer stuff, I seem to like lavender a lot, and though I don't have much vetiver experience, I think I'm going to end up loving it. Not huge on citrus or fruit heavy frags, but some are nice.

Quote Originally Posted by genvy5 View Post
    Bvlgari Black. Very nice one. Doesn't blast with sillage. Isn't sickeningly sweet. The vanilla is not overstated like in a lot of scents I've come across that you described as not liking. But it is there in the base certainly, along with a nice, SMOOTH smokey quality. Can be purchased for cheap on sites like scentiments, where I got mine. 25-30 bucks for 2.5oz.

I also think you should try Jaipur (Eau du Parfum version) by Boucheron, though it may be too sweet. Prominent cinnamon. But it's so, SO nice.
    I have a sample of Bvlgari Black and I liked it a lot the first time I wore it. Then, I accidentally spilled most of the sample in a concentrated spot on my arm. The tar note really got to me in large doses. I hope my nose forgets about that soon, since I did enjoy it a lot initially.
    Last edited by Big_Scooter; 30th August 2008 at 07:45 AM.

The reviews it has here make it sound like shit, but I moderately enjoyed and think you might enjoy this:

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121624.html

Vicky Tiel - Ulysse. I found the lavender in it nice but not overstated.

Also since you like lavender, definitely try Gris Clair. It's $120, but so damn good.

Oh, and on spills and Bvlgari - I dropped my nearly full bottle of Aqva and it broke all over the floor and stunk it up to high heaven. Anything in large doses gets you! But the scent is still awesome. And I think Black sounds like what you are looking for for winter.

Wait, if you like cedar, you HAVE to try Lalique Equus. Not too sweet, cedar and spice, EDP, exceptionally well made. One of my winter faves!

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120578.html

Dependent

Black has to be the most potent from Bvlgari, and honestly it took me some acquiring to find it tasteful.

Lately ive found Envy to have been watered down alot. my last 2 bottle didnt last as long as the first few ones i used to have more than 6 years ago... quite disappointing.

Id stick to Aramis 900 and Tuscany.

Sur la Plage

A lot of Etro fragrances are EDC's, such as Sandalo, Ambra, Messe De Minuit, etc.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I don't seem to have any favorite notes for winter time yet, except possibly cedar.
    Maybe this will fit the bill...............if you're on a cedar fix.........

Tumulte pour Homme

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26125203.html

Dependent

my year round cologne of choice is Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte.

Habit Rouge Eau de Cologne (Guerlain) would be my first choice. It has enough "bracing" quality to warm you up, but remains discreet, unobstrusive.

Kouros Eau de Cologne Sport (Yves Saint Laurent) smells amazing, too. It has a certain youthful, invigorating feel to it, without being overtly "young".

Don't forget about No. 88 (Czech&Speake), which is called Eau de Cologne, but has at least strength of an Eau de Toilette. My impression is that it projects beautifully in colder months (while it gets a bit confused in summer) - and it should be quite different from the stuff you already own.

Basenotes Institution

I agree - you need to try Habit Rouge EdC
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 30th August 2008 at 06:39 PM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Let me join the Habit Rouge edc chorus. Great stuff that really shines come fall.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I like Aigner Black, a bit musky for some, but it is a cool weather frag.
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

Hands down Burberry London. Best stuff out there for a crisp cool day. Classy and incredible.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Burberry London. Caramel and Portwine in a bottle! Refind, elegant and classy.

Oh I almost forgot...Gucci pour homme would work very good on a cold day with that spicy, incensy quality of it. Truly, fall and winter are some of the best times to wear fragrance. Nice, cool weather with a slight breeze...and you're there.

Try Baldessarini. Very nice scent to wear during the winter, it was actually my first bottle ever bought.

Oh yeah. Heliotrope by Etro is very nice.

M7
    Jaipur
    Gucci Envy
    Muelhens Carrera ( a hidden gem )

Angel pour Femme
    Gaultier˛
    Hanae Mori EDP pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by shalashaska View Post
    Lol well Musc and L'air would work except for the fact that neither one of them are skin scents, neither one of them are EDCs, and neither one of them are under 100 dollars.
    L'air du Desert Marocan is available for under $100.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Habit Rouge EDC
    Etro Sandalo EDC

Both perfect for fall / winter, well balanced, not too heavy, crisp but warm. The HR is easily bought for $30 on ebay, and the Etro I got for $35 from Filenes.

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Tuscany/Aramis
    Snarky is as snarky does.

I was walking by a pharmacy this morning and saw they had Roger&Gallet selections. I tried out Bouquet Imperial edc for the first time and it's pretty doggone good. Very musk based, with some fruit top notes that turn into some light florals, but it smells '70s-ish and very nice. 200ml for US$35 too, and four hours superior duration on my wrist so far today.

This one might be great for cheap fall/winter delight.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I was walking by a pharmacy this morning and saw they had Roger&Gallet selections. I tried out Bouquet Imperial edc for the first time and it's pretty doggone good. Very musk based, with some fruit top notes that turn into some light florals, but it smells '70s-ish and very nice. 200ml for US$35 too, and four hours superior duration on my wrist so far today.

This one might be great for cheap fall/winter delight.
    I'm going to have to try to track down a store that stocks R+G around me. Been curious about their colognes for a while. Unfortunately, their stockist locating thing on their website only works for France, it seems.

Morning Star

Well, we don't have a real winter here in Los Angeles, but if we did ...

Gucci Envy For Men (good for any season, actually)
    Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme (great sillage here)
    Burberry London

I'd even toss in Armani Attitude for good measure. You can pick up 50ml bottles of Envy for Men for less than $30 at a lot of drugstores.

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detai...4508&section=1

Coze by Parfumerie Generale. Starts very smoky and the first thing I think about is sitting by a fireplace in the winter season. And it is gorgeous. Coze is aptly named as it is a very snuggle up by the fire and tell stories or play family games. It's cozy. I LOVE the smoky quality of the opening and it tames down as the fragrance progresses to be a little bit smoother and even more cozy. It smells a LITTLE boozy, a LITTLE sweet, and all around perfect for winter time. I don't get very much chocolate out of it either.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr16 View Post
    M7
    Jaipur
    Gucci Envy
    Muelhens Carrera ( a hidden gem )
    I wear Carrera for years.. I agree .. true words: A HIDDEN GEM :-)

Any one in my collection under $100 would fit the bill.

Gor that price point I do enjoy these:
    A*Men
    Armani Attitude
    YSL M7
    JPG Le Male
    Gaultier˛
    Burberry London or Brit
    Blvgari Black

Carlos Santana Fine Cologne

M7
    Egoiste
    Encre Noire (night time)
    L'Instant Guerlain Extreme Parfum
    Burberry London
    Le Male
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."