Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Houses besides Amouage and Montale creating middle eastern style fragrances?

I'm beginning to sample the various fragrances from Montale and I've had the pleasure of testing an Amouage years ago. To me it seems that there is a very distinct 'flavor' in the fragrances these houses put out that make them instantly recognizable as middle eastern as opposed to french or italian. I love this, and I was wondering it any other houses make fragrances in this vein?

I know that the art of perfumery is practiced very differently in the middle east and it's more individual vendor operated as compared to large houses. But surely Amouage and Montae can't be the sole ambassadors to the west!

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Houses besides Amouage and Montale creating middle eastern style fragrances?

Ajmal
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Default Re: Houses besides Amouage and Montale creating middle eastern style fragrances?

In Europe:
    Serge Lutens
    Lorenzo Villoresi: partly
    Etro: partly
    Tauer perfumes: two Moroccan style perfumes
    Middle Eastern, South East Asia companies:
    Find details in the respective BN threads for Oudhs and Attars
    'Il mondo dei profumi Ŕ un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

A very good question, as most of my favourite perfums have something 'exotic' about them. Montale and Serge Lutens are among my top three houses but Amouge underwhelms me (especially for the price). I would very much like to be directed towards a house that offers the same degree of quality and creativity that these two houses offer me. I was hoping that Andy Tauer would follow in a similar vein but, alas, this has not been the case.
    Last edited by Trebor; 30th August 2008 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    In Europe:
    Serge Lutens
    Lorenzo Villoresi: partly
    Etro: partly
    Tauer perfumes: two Moroccan style perfumes
    Middle Eastern, South East Asia companies:
    Find details in the respective BN threads for Oudhs and Attars
    Personally, I consider Lorenzo Villoresi and Etro to fit into this mould only slightly.

shalashaska, in case you were wondering, the two Tauer releases that narcus was referring to are L'Air du Desert Marocain and Le Maroc pour Elle.
    Last edited by Trebor; 30th August 2008 at 01:20 PM.

Madini Perfume oils are fine quality, offering something uniquely different from western perfumes and at an affordable price.

I think it's time for you to move into the true mukhallats and the oud oils.
    Ajmal
    Al-Haramain
    Swiss Arabian
    Rasasi
    Arabian Oud
    Hamil Al Musk
    and others I can't remember or are not aware of yet.
    I'm sure our members in the Gulf can help you with these further.

Agarscents Bazaar has some nice things too, some their own label and others from one of the above houses.
    Oriscent, UNS fine Crafts, Agarscents, Enfleurage, QT Store, etc. for the oud oils.
    Tigerflag has some nice attars as does White Lotus Aromatics.

Arabian Bazaar has lot of nice things as does E-Bay Seller Al-Munawwara and don't forget our own
    abubakr al-misky.

While the above mentioned scents are fantastic, I don't know that they really capture what you are looking for at this point.

Here are some more:

Shaik
    Henaidee
    Al Rehab
    Bahrain eau de parfum
    Madini

Cheers,
    Al
    Last edited by anak; 30th August 2008 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    I think it's time for you to move into the true mukhallats and the oud oils.
    Ajmal
    Al-Haramain
    Swiss Arabian
    Rasasi
    Arabian Oud
    Hamil Al Musk
    and others I can't remember or are not aware of yet.
    I'm sure our members in the Gulf can help you with these further.

Agarscents Bazaar has some nice things too, some their own label and others from one of the above houses.
    Oriscent, UNS fine Crafts, Agarscents, Enfleurage, QT Store, etc. for the oud oils.
    Tigerflag has some nice attars as does White Lotus Aromatics.

Arabian Bazaar has lot of nice things as does E-Bay Seller Al-Munawwara and don't forget our own
    abubakr al-misky.

While the above mentioned scents are fantastic, I don't know that they really capture what you are looking for at this point.
    ^
    What he said.

Ignore the fake middle eastern dreams concocted by Lutens et al, and dive into some real hardcore arabian oil !
    -

Not to steal the thread but as long as we are talking about Middle Eastern perfumes, why is it that some brands (Swiss Arabian, Al Rehab, Rasasi) are DIRT cheap while others like Ajmal or Amouage are rather expensive?

Is Swiss Arabian the Liz Claiborne of the Arab world and Ajmal the Chanel?

Cheers,
    Al

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anak View Post
    Not to steal the thread but as long as we are talking about Middle Eastern perfumes, why is it that some brands (Swiss Arabian, Al Rehab, Rasasi) are DIRT cheap while others like Ajmal or Amouage are rather expensive?

Cheers,
    Al
    Amouage isn't half as expensive in the middle east. While quality of ingredients could be a factor, but the major factor is the clientelle some of them appeal to (especially Ajmal and Arabian Oudh). Swiss Arabian, probably the cheapest of them all, is pretty much exclusively synthetic. So are most of the offerings from Al Rehab, Rasasi and Haramain.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

I had just opened a new thread with similar questions looking for Middle Eastern fragrances. I only have experience with Rasasi but have read about Amouge being used and praised by celebrities in the U.S. which is why I think its prices are "Cadillac".

Quote Originally Posted by anak View Post

Cheers,
    Al

aren't fragrances synthetic in general? Is Swiss Arabian purely synthetic? Is Ajmal semi synthetic then? Is Swiss Arabian considered a "fake" Middle Eastern fragrance?

synthetic or not, if it stands out, it's all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudassir View Post
    Amouage isn't half as expensive in the middle east. While quality of ingredients could be a factor, but the major factor is the clientelle some of them appeal to (especially Ajmal and Arabian Oudh). Swiss Arabian, probably the cheapest of them all, is pretty much exclusively synthetic. So are most of the offerings from Al Rehab, Rasasi and Haramain.
    Last edited by snifsnif; 24th January 2016 at 08:25 AM.

Many houses are already mentioned. I would add "Mancera" into this list also.

I only have experience buying from fragrancenet.com and beautyspin.com. I can find Rasasi and Amouge sold in the U.S. I haven't looked for the others yet. Do you guys buy these domestic or overseas?

Mancera for sure and perhaps Initio Parfums
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Great brands, now what specific titles should I try from those brands? This one is hard. I guess try one of the ouds? I have no oud fragrance. For male. I hope to find a U.S. seller so I don't have to wait 2 weeks to ship to me from mideast.

i don't get what swiss arabian is selling like "perfume oil" and "attars" and "roll ons". Is perfume oil same as eau de parfum just stronger or what? Is roll on attars a deodorant? What is an attar? sorry for being naive.

+1 for Arabian Oud. They make some great stuff.
    That's Dior Homme, not Dior Homie

Parfums de Marly

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    Parfums de Marly
    Definitely inspired.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by snifsnif View Post
    i don't get what swiss arabian is selling like "perfume oil" and "attars" and "roll ons". Is perfume oil same as eau de parfum just stronger or what? Is roll on attars a deodorant? What is an attar? sorry for being naive.
    Eau de parfum means perfume water, ie diluted. Perfume oil is pure, undiluted.

The roll ons are small vials with a roller tip, so that none of the oil gets spilt and you can roll on a small amount where needed.

Not sure about Attar, think it means blend or accord. Mukhallat is another phrase, meaning mixture or recipe.
    Currently residing in Blighty but biding my time when I shall return to my island of dreams.
    Currently wearing: Black Line by Mancera

I read eau de parfum is the strongest (compared to de toilette), but I never knew much about perfume oil. Is perfume oil more common in Middle Eastern fragrances? I rarely see that word with U.S. perfumes. Is it that strong?

Are all those you mentioned for use on to a human body? I thought the Attars are more like for "home freshener" or could be the Mukhallat? Kind alike a middle eastern version of an "incense"? Is the rollons for use on to human body?

Quote Originally Posted by artlin View Post
    Eau de parfum means perfume water, ie diluted. Perfume oil is pure, undiluted.

The roll ons are small vials with a roller tip, so that none of the oil gets spilt and you can roll on a small amount where needed.

Not sure about Attar, think it means blend or accord. Mukhallat is another phrase, meaning mixture or recipe.

Nishane Turkey
    Parfums de Marly
    Moresque parfum

big +1 for Nishane (Turkey) try Musiqa Oud, its wonderful scent
    Hayari as well.
    The ability to remain gracious and sober, is indeed, a mild form of insanity.
    Currently wearing: No. 12 by William Eadon

Great, now I can't decide what Swiss Arabian fragrance I want to try (for men). Are middle eastern fragrances generally more of an "oud" fragrance for the most part? Is oud what makes a fragrance "middle eastern"?

Quote Originally Posted by trex57 View Post
    Hayari as well.

Seconding especially Al Rehab and Al-Haramain for tremendous quality at affordable prices

what's the difference between dehn al oudh vs. just "oudh". Al Rehab sells both. I might be trying out the dehn al oudh from Al Rehab. I see it for like $7 on Ebay for a 6 ml, I hope this is not a counterfeit.

Also, is it appropriate to wear something exotic, when one is NOT exotic? I would think it's a mismatch.

is there a perfumery house that's based in Kuwait or a fragrance known to be a Kuwaiti brand?