Code of Conduct

Default Houses besides Amouage and Montale creating middle eastern style fragrances?

I'm beginning to sample the various fragrances from Montale and I've had the pleasure of testing an Amouage years ago. To me it seems that there is a very distinct 'flavor' in the fragrances these houses put out that make them instantly recognizable as middle eastern as opposed to french or italian. I love this, and I was wondering it any other houses make fragrances in this vein?

I know that the art of perfumery is practiced very differently in the middle east and it's more individual vendor operated as compared to large houses. But surely Amouage and Montae can't be the sole ambassadors to the west!

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Houses besides Amouage and Montale creating middle eastern style fragrances?

Ajmal
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Default Re: Houses besides Amouage and Montale creating middle eastern style fragrances?

In Europe:
    Serge Lutens
    Lorenzo Villoresi: partly
    Etro: partly
    Tauer perfumes: two Moroccan style perfumes
    Middle Eastern, South East Asia companies:
    Find details in the respective BN threads for Oudhs and Attars
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

A very good question, as most of my favourite perfums have something 'exotic' about them. Montale and Serge Lutens are among my top three houses but Amouge underwhelms me (especially for the price). I would very much like to be directed towards a house that offers the same degree of quality and creativity that these two houses offer me. I was hoping that Andy Tauer would follow in a similar vein but, alas, this has not been the case.
    Last edited by Trebor; 30th August 2008 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    In Europe:
    Serge Lutens
    Lorenzo Villoresi: partly
    Etro: partly
    Tauer perfumes: two Moroccan style perfumes
    Middle Eastern, South East Asia companies:
    Find details in the respective BN threads for Oudhs and Attars
    Personally, I consider Lorenzo Villoresi and Etro to fit into this mould only slightly.

shalashaska, in case you were wondering, the two Tauer releases that narcus was referring to are L'Air du Desert Marocain and Le Maroc pour Elle.
    Last edited by Trebor; 30th August 2008 at 01:20 PM.

Madini Perfume oils are fine quality, offering something uniquely different from western perfumes and at an affordable price.

I think it's time for you to move into the true mukhallats and the oud oils.
    Ajmal
    Al-Haramain
    Swiss Arabian
    Rasasi
    Arabian Oud
    Hamil Al Musk
    and others I can't remember or are not aware of yet.
    I'm sure our members in the Gulf can help you with these further.

Agarscents Bazaar has some nice things too, some their own label and others from one of the above houses.
    Oriscent, UNS fine Crafts, Agarscents, Enfleurage, QT Store, etc. for the oud oils.
    Tigerflag has some nice attars as does White Lotus Aromatics.

Arabian Bazaar has lot of nice things as does E-Bay Seller Al-Munawwara and don't forget our own
    abubakr al-misky.

While the above mentioned scents are fantastic, I don't know that they really capture what you are looking for at this point.

Here are some more:

Shaik
    Henaidee
    Al Rehab
    Bahrain eau de parfum
    Madini

Cheers,
    Al
    Last edited by anak; 30th August 2008 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    I think it's time for you to move into the true mukhallats and the oud oils.
    Ajmal
    Al-Haramain
    Swiss Arabian
    Rasasi
    Arabian Oud
    Hamil Al Musk
    and others I can't remember or are not aware of yet.
    I'm sure our members in the Gulf can help you with these further.

Agarscents Bazaar has some nice things too, some their own label and others from one of the above houses.
    Oriscent, UNS fine Crafts, Agarscents, Enfleurage, QT Store, etc. for the oud oils.
    Tigerflag has some nice attars as does White Lotus Aromatics.

Arabian Bazaar has lot of nice things as does E-Bay Seller Al-Munawwara and don't forget our own
    abubakr al-misky.

While the above mentioned scents are fantastic, I don't know that they really capture what you are looking for at this point.
    ^
    What he said.

Ignore the fake middle eastern dreams concocted by Lutens et al, and dive into some real hardcore arabian oil !
    -

Not to steal the thread but as long as we are talking about Middle Eastern perfumes, why is it that some brands (Swiss Arabian, Al Rehab, Rasasi) are DIRT cheap while others like Ajmal or Amouage are rather expensive?

Is Swiss Arabian the Liz Claiborne of the Arab world and Ajmal the Chanel?

Cheers,
    Al

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anak View Post
    Not to steal the thread but as long as we are talking about Middle Eastern perfumes, why is it that some brands (Swiss Arabian, Al Rehab, Rasasi) are DIRT cheap while others like Ajmal or Amouage are rather expensive?

Is Swiss Arabian the Liz Claiborne of the Arab world and Ajmal the Chanel?

Cheers,
    Al
    Amouage isn't half as expensive in the middle east. While quality of ingredients could be a factor, but the major factor is the clientelle some of them appeal to (especially Ajmal and Arabian Oudh). Swiss Arabian, probably the cheapest of them all, is pretty much exclusively synthetic. So are most of the offerings from Al Rehab, Rasasi and Haramain.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962