Code of Conduct

Default Steingarten's article on stinky food in Sept. Vogue

Has anyone else read this?

I was intrigued by the mention of "isonitriles" - the author tried to get ahold of some and was refused by a few companies. Apparently this compound (I'm not a scientist, sorry if 'compound' is the wrong term) smells so uniquely awful that everyone who smells it instantly vomits. Could be used as a deterrent, no?

Does anyone here have a love of stinky food? He mentioned kimchee, which I do love, and stinky cheese. But I'll pass on the maggot cheese and the Andouillette.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Default Re: Steingarten's article on stinky food in Sept. Vogue

I haven't read it but you are making me want to..

Try to snag it from one of your female friends. It's the huge Sept. issue with Keira Knightley looking weird on the cover. Steingarten is a great writer, and the subject matter of the article is something I think would interest Basenoters.

And I still want to know what isonitriles are and what they're used for!
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Thanks for the info about this. Love his stuff and would love to read the piece. Is it available online anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by LedByMyNose View Post
    Has anyone else read this?

I was intrigued by the mention of "isonitriles" - the author tried to get ahold of some and was refused by a few companies. Apparently this compound (I'm not a scientist, sorry if 'compound' is the wrong term) smells so uniquely awful that everyone who smells it instantly vomits. Could be used as a deterrent, no?

Does anyone here have a love of stinky food? He mentioned kimchee, which I do love, and stinky cheese. But I'll pass on the maggot cheese and the Andouillette.
    I read that article, and yes, it was interesting. There were some things I would have disagreed on, but I can't remember them now! I love kimchee too! I don't think it's really stinky though, but maybe that's why I like it. I also like bagoong (fermented shrimp paste) and durian.

I do not like to eat the rinds of brie though. I tried to make a pastry with brie (rind and all) in it, and it smelled like the ammonia I use to clean a toilet bowl. Ammonia-flavored pastry, folks! BLECH! I hate wasting food, but that went into the trash.

I don't think I could eat maggot cheese. Maybe in a famine. But not now.

Quote Originally Posted by LedByMyNose View Post

I tried the Andouillete - unwittingly. When I was 11. Under knowing supervision of my mother. Yes, I was horribly mistreated.

Bottom line: she thought she shouldn't mention that I would probably not like the sausage, since that would result in me definitely not liking it. So I ordered it, and out came this grayish bulky sausage in a bowl of gravy - no greens, no potatoes, no side dishes, nothing. Not to be deterred, I tried a bite. I don't remember the exact taste (PTSS, most likely), but it wasn't pleasant. It put me off organ meat for a long, long time.

Ha, my mother always used to try and trick me into eating steak and kidney pie when I was little but kidney is distinctive and it never worked. If she'd convinced me to try Andouillete she may have had a clean-up job to deal with.

And yeah, kimchee isn't really stinky is it? It's sharp and clean-tasting to me (and delicious). I'd like to try durian and have read some very interesting descriptions of doing so - most people seem to have the most difficulty getting past the smell to the actual taste.

I don't think I'd try the isonitriles, given the chance, but curiousity may get the better of me. Yikes.