Code of Conduct

Default Perfume Memories - Please Share

I woke this morning thinking about some of the perfumes I have collected over the past two years since finding Basenotes. I realized that there are certain perfumes that I have a strong memory association with very specific occasions, and wondered if others have the same and want to share them.
    For instance:

Ava Luxe Rasa was the scent that I took with me for an overnight trip to Saugerties, NY, near Woodstock. We visited Opus 40, a rock quarry installation, some art galleries in Woodstock proper and had dinner at the Culinary Institute on the way home. Memories of the trip will always be associated with the earthy, rosy smells of Rasa.

I wore Aimez Moi parfum by Caron to the Metropolitan Museum of Art when viewing the Americans in Paris exhibit. John Singer Sargent portraits will always make me feel the tapping on my shoulder of Aimez Moi...its soft tobacco and sweet licorice enveloping me like a shawl.

Guerlain's Attrape Couer was my wedding fragrance. I can't get enough of it these days, I feel like a princess when wearing it, I recall the silky swish of fabric against my legs in the garden and feel romantic and sweet tempered whenever I am wearing it.

Does anyone have some old or new scent snapshots they would like to share?
    Last edited by rtamara41; 31st August 2008 at 03:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Perfume Memories - Please Share

I stayed with an aunt and uncle in Kent, England when I was 16. She wore only Calvin Klein Eternity, and even a tiny whiff of Eternity reminds me instantly of her, and their lovely green property, and the sound of hedgehogs snuffling about in the garden at night.

CK One = highschool. Lockers. Boys. Clock watching.

Drakkar Noir = babies. A friend had her first child very young in 1995 and I spent a lot of time with them. Baby's daddy wore a LOT of Drakkar Noir, and he (the baby) consequently also smelled of it all the time. So, Drakkar Noir is forever linked with fuzzy, peachy baby heads in my mind.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Quote Originally Posted by LedByMyNose View Post
    I stayed with an aunt and uncle in Kent, England when I was 16. She wore only Calvin Klein Eternity, and even a tiny whiff of Eternity reminds me instantly of her, and their lovely green property, and the sound of hedgehogs snuffling about in the garden at night.

CK One = highschool. Lockers. Boys. Clock watching.

Drakkar Noir = babies. A friend had her first child very young in 1995 and I spent a lot of time with them. Baby's daddy wore a LOT of Drakkar Noir, and he (the baby) consequently also smelled of it all the time. So, Drakkar Noir is forever linked with fuzzy, peachy baby heads in my mind.
    These make me smile, especially the last image
    I have been snacking on peanuts (in the shell) in bed with my laptop while doing homework, and am surrounded by salty nutty smells as I read this.
    Just added a dab of Mitsouko in anticipation of your upcoming encounter with this strange and wonderful icon. mmmmm......it's been a while.
    Last edited by rtamara41; 31st August 2008 at 11:49 PM.

Shortly after getting Lolita Lempicka I wore it to a hockey game (very nice suite seats, not the beer-spilling section). In any case, now its associated in my mind with sporting events and parties. When choosing a scent to wear to a recent Green Bay Packers game, that was my choice. Not a bad association, but a definite one!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Aimez Moi was my 1st, and you never forget your 1st. Well, it wasn't my 1st perfume, but it was the 1st perfume that sent me on this wonderful journey which landed me here. I always remember this one night in particular. I had just had my weekly soak. I put it on using, Yes! "The Divatologist Perfume Application Method"...*giggle*. I was helping my cousin move some things from her apartment and all night I just kept getting the most beautiful whiffs of this perfume. My cousin went on and on about how good it smelled. Aimez Moi was my escape from all the commercial stuff that I had been buying before. Whenever I wear it, I often think about that night. The air was warm with just a little bit of a cool breeze every now and then. Aimez Moi just blew me away. I still love it and always will.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

it's remarkable to me every time I realize it, how scent brings a person back to a moment as if it is happening right in front of your nose...pun intended.
    I love these vivid accounts.
    thank you.
    I am presently Mitsouko laden.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Post Thanks / Like

I visited Israel for the first time when I was twenty years old. The only fragrance I took with me was Tuscany/Aramis. While spending the day in Ein Gedi, I spotted a beautiful girl in an outdoor cafe. Being very shy at that age, I did not have the nerve to speak to her. I found myself only staring at her, like a dope.

After a few minutes she walked over to me with a group of her girlfriends and introduced herself. I don't know how to spell her name, but phoentically it sounded like the word "Wheat." She explained that she was eighteen years old, and she and her friends were on their final holiday before beginning their military training.

Her superior (a female officer) was NOT happy that she was speaking with me, and eventually walked over to us and, speaking Hebrew, called the girls away.

Several hours later, I ran into that same group of girls at another place! This time, "Wheat" said something to her superior office in Hebrew. The woman nodded, and "Wheat" and a few other girls ran over to me and suggested we take our picture together. She and I handed her friends our cameras, and we posed together--just the two of us. After the photo, she whispered in my ear, with her charming accent, "You smehl so hahndsome..." Well, I almost fainted!

We parted company and, naturally, I never saw her again. I still have our picture somewhere, converted to a slide.

To this day, I cannot smell Tuscany without thinking of that lovely girl and wondering what ever happened to her. My family nicknamed Tuscany my "Israel cologne", and my niece (who is my age and was with me in Israel) calls Tuscany my "Wheat cologne."
    Last edited by Bossa Nova; 1st September 2008 at 01:49 AM.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

My grandmother had a few bottles of fragrance, one a Dior that I've never been able to place. She had the Big Three: Arpege, No. 5, Shalimar. She also had Tweed and Woodhue. But this Dior puzzled me; I should have thought it was Diorissimo since she liked Muguet des Bois, but it wasn't.

I'm a fan of Miss Dior and have been wearing it for years. The other day, I wore it for the first time in the sweating, swampy weather. Voila--instant recollection. The mystery Dior was Miss; the thickened humidity brought out a fruitiness that I'd never noticed before when worn in the snow. The leatheriness was more pronounced; these two facets jumped out at me and it was a perfect moment of identification. At this moment, I might well have been five years old, lifting nozzle to nose and then replacing the cap backwards.

wow. these stories are like little gems.
    bossanova boy, I am going to have to seek out Tuscany now for a point of reference
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread Rtamara! Loving these stories. Here are a few random ones of mine (off the top of my head):

Opium - my Aunty's house on the opposite side of the country, especially on Christmas day with a big traditional English Christmas lunch (in the middle of summer! Jump into the pool afterwards!)

Fumerie Turque - unfortunately I made the mistake of wearing this one to uni a few weeks ago on a not particularly good day. It reminds me of an accounting tutorial and group meeting to discuss the accounting assignment (my least favourite subject this semester).

Guess Woman - day trip to Sydney as a physics excursion in yr11. Mostly reminds me of the 3.5 hour bus ride each way but also reminds me of going to Luna Park and the IMAX theatre.

Drakkar Noir - my bf when we first met and playing basketball outside with him and some mates during lunchtimes. Especially the time I forgot about shoes and wore thongs (flipflops) so played barefoot. Not a very intelligent idea of mine - running on warm gravel wasn't very good for my feet