Code of Conduct

Default amateur question about samples

I just received some samples and they are not a spray. They have a little stick applicator. What is the best way to apply this in order to get an accurate assesment of how this works on my skin? Where would be the best place to apply? Neck, wrist, elbow...

thanks,

Default Re: amateur question about samples

Welcome to Basenotes!
    Simple glass vials are the norm. Sprays would be too expensive to use. However, sometimes you get sprays if the sample is directly from the manufacturer/designer.
    You could use the applicator if you're really unsure about liking the scent after sniffing it from the vial but this won't give you enough juice on your skin to form a good opinion. Just use your fingertip to receive from the vial and to apply on your skin. You can also tip the vial directly on your skin. How much you apply is up to you but enough to spread to about the size of a quarter, etc. should be fine for starters.

For a sample, the best place seems to be the back of the hand or the wrist (either/both sides) because this will allow you to continue to smell and study the scent (the progression of the notes, longevity, and to some extent the sillage/projection).
    Once you get a good sense of what it's all about, you could try some on your neck (sides, back, etc.), chest, or inside of your elbow to allow the scent to do all it can with your skin and for all of its possible effects.

Typically, a 1.5 ml vial allows for 2-3 tests on your skin--but this can vary.
    If you're experienced enough to know what you like in fragrances, you should be able to tell whether you like the scent to purchase or not with these tests (in the case of most scents). Sometimes it takes more than just a vial and some people go for multiple or larger decants but in reality, experienced people can tell even with a few drops.

Have fun!
    RM

When testing a sample I always apply a small amount to the back of the hand, some to each wrist where the veins are closest to the skin and a little to the inside of the elbow before bed so that I can get a good idea how long lived a scent will be on my skin. Until you've sampled a perfume and gotten an idea about its longevity, sillage and development avoid putting it on your neck.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Thank you Renaissance and Surreality. This will help me get started. I ordered about 20 samples so I have some work ahead of me.

I would also recommend testing only one perfume a day.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

I test just above the ankle if I fear that the frag will be unpleasant and very strong, and also doing this allows you to test several at one time, though the problem is that if you sniff too close up (just cross your legs the "guy way" and lower your head a little, then wait a few seconds) you won't get the proper effect, and it can even give you a headache and make you nauseous, so be careful if you do this.

Dependent

Last edited by MFJ; 19th November 2009 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    I would also recommend testing only one perfume a day.
    I agree with this advice. Carry it with you in case it's a lighter fragrance that needs touch-ups.

This is all good advice: apply gently, a few drops. I take the vial and tip it against a finger and apply that to a wrist or top of the hand. If I like it, I'll apply a bit more and then ultimately go for the neck, ear pulse points.
    Some people go for an wholistic impression. For myself, I do research ahead of time as to the fragrance notes. I write them out on a piece of paper. This helps me because some of the top notes are extremely short-lived, 1-5 seconds in some cases. I like to think about what a new scent SHOULD smell like, and then I'm prepared to see how/if it does. Sometimes I'm disappointed, sometimes surprised! I find that whole analytical process to be a lot of fun! Then I post a review. That's fun too!
    Cheers,
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Dependent

Blog Entries

I do a two-stage testing.

With this type of vial, I apply using a q-tip (the end of the cotton swab fits just perfectly into the tops of most of the vials). Insert the swab just enough to dampen the end. Then I'll apply the q-tip to each wrist. This is the first phase - to be sure it's a scent a like, to gauge it's strength, and to get a good idea of how it changes through the day.

If I like it, it gets a second, full wearing. Usually a week or so later. When I do that, I just pour some directly from the vial into my hands. Then just pat it on the back of the neck and around the chest. If it passes that test and it wows me, I'll put it on my "need to buy" list.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Dependent