Code of Conduct
    Next to the bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve

Default Polo Crest and Chevingon, side by side

Since it’s been a while since these frags have been mentioned/compared, I thought I would bring them up again.

A few weeks ago I received a sample of Polo Crest from a fellow Bn’er. I liked it enough to buy a bottle of Chevignon, which, according to members with noses better than mine, is a dead ringer for Crest (now discontinued and going for $90 and up for a bottle).

So, the Chevignon (about $25 for 100ml) arrives and I excitedly spray it on. And disappointment ensues.

I don’t get it. I can smell some similarity – with the booze and a bit of pine, but it didn’t seem close.

If I may slightly misquote SirSlarty’s excellent review, Crest is like the original Polo left out in the sun for a week, and rubbed with patchouli leaves. And, I would add, left out by a camp fire.

Chevignon, on first smelling, was rather indistinct – there was some booze and a chemical harshness to it that wasn’t appealing – but I couldn’t pick out many individual notes like I could with the Crest.

Luckily, I’ve learned in my time at basenotes to always give frags a second or third smelling before writing them off. So, it’s time for a side-by-side test.

Crest starts out rather smoky while Chevignon has a plastic/nail polish (nail polish remover?) note in place of the smoke. It’s rather harsh and has a touch of fruit (perhaps the apple that some have commented on). Chevignon also has more booze (a slightly sweet bourbon, perhaps). A few minutes in and I’m not liking the Chev. The Crest, however, is nice, though a bit smoky for my tastes.

After 30 minutes or so, something odd has happened. The nail polish note in the Chevignon mellows some and starts to smell more and more like the smoke in the Crest. It never fully becomes smoke – the chemical smell remains, though rather muted and still a bit fruity – but it comes darn close, and the end result is that Chevignon at last becomes very similar to Crest. Overall, I prefer the smell of Crest, but Chevignon lasts longer and also is louder.

I’ll give the Chev a few more wearings and will probably keep it in my collection, but I’m not certain if it will join the regular rotation. It’s certainly different from anything else I have, but it’s still not the singular fragrance that I’m looking for.

Perhaps I’ll just have to bite the bullet, try to forget about all the stuck-up, preppy associations I have of it from high school (which was much too long ago), and buy a bottle of original Polo. God help me.
    Last edited by dpak; 1st September 2008 at 10:39 PM. Reason: typo
    Marge: Do you want your son to become Chief Justice of the Supreme Court or a sleazy male stripper?
    Homer: Can't he be both, like the late Earl Warren?

Default Re: Polo Crest and Chevingon, side by side

I don't know if others share this thought... but be forewarned: today's Polo (green bottle) smells far more synthetic than I recall. It is one of my favorite scent memories, and my brother was of the reeking-of-it camp, yet the new bottle I own (as well as a few testers I've tried in stores) leave me with a very weird fake smelling note to it.
    Most disappointing to preppies the world over! We need to hurl our Top-Siders into the boardrooms at Ralph Lauren in defiance.

it's the difference of 12.5% between Lp No. 9 and Opium that makes the whole difference...yet, if one is not available..then one has something to fall back on...ahh...such is life..

"buy a bottle of original Polo" - YES!
    Before I got to that line I was already thinking to tell you that. I have Crest and Polo and the Polo is to die for. I don't know why, but it makes me want to drench myself in it. The Crest is really nice, but not like that. Go for the real thing. It's awesome.
    SirSlarty: "If I weren't such a fragrance junkie, I wouldn't go any further than smelling Polo and wear it all my life."
    bbBD: "Of all of my many fragrances, Polo brings more compliments from women than any other."

We need more posts like yours here, dpak! I want to hear "blow by blow" descriptions rather than the poetic, artistic, or witty reviews some (who shall remain nameless) prefer. LOL.

Is this the Chevignon you guys are talking about?

Next to the bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321 View Post
    Is this the Chevignon you guys are talking about?
    Yes. Here it is in the directory.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    We need more posts like yours here, dpak! I want to hear "blow by blow" descriptions rather than the poetic, artistic, or witty reviews some (who shall remain nameless) prefer. LOL.
    Thank you! I figured after a few of my most recent posts, I should write about an actual fragrance instead of just being a wise-ass.
    Marge: Do you want your son to become Chief Justice of the Supreme Court or a sleazy male stripper?
    Homer: Can't he be both, like the late Earl Warren?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dpak View Post
    Thank you! I figured after a few of my most recent posts, I should write about an actual fragrance instead of just being a wise-ass.
    Well, a few fragrance posts are fine by me, but please don't stop being a wise-ass at least part of the time. A spoonful of wise-ass helps the pyramid go down. For some of us, certainly.

Quote Originally Posted by Oaksbluff View Post
    I don't know if others share this thought... but be forewarned: today's Polo (green bottle) smells far more synthetic than I recall. It is one of my favorite scent memories, and my brother was of the reeking-of-it camp, yet the new bottle I own (as well as a few testers I've tried in stores) leave me with a very weird fake smelling note to it.
    Most disappointing to preppies the world over! We need to hurl our Top-Siders into the boardrooms at Ralph Lauren in defiance.

Thanks Oaks, I really enjoy the memories this brought back!
    If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that”--Von Goethe

top favorites: bois d'argent, havana, jaipur, amber sultan, fumerie turque, chergui, l'homme sage
    willing to swap/sell everything but my lutens. shoot me a pm

Blog Entries

OK, I decided this was the perfect opportunity to pull out my ancient bottles of Crest and Polo green, about 1/5 full and 1/2 full, and hanging in reserve in the refrigerator. Perfect time to compare noses with the gang. I've also been afraid that my bottle of Crest might have gone skanky. Time to test...

OK, I think my Crest is, if anything, a tiny bit weak, but no decomposition, thank goodness. No acidity, meaning no sourness or sharpness. Just a lighter and more stately version of good ol' green. Definitely no plastic or polish remover smells (I'm not counting the fleeting alcohol thing at the very beginning.) I looked for the smoky note, and I think I know what you mean, but my nose is a bit off, and I wasn't exactly sure if I got the note.

So I tried my vintage Polo Green for comparison, and I definitely got smoke. And I swear that the smoky thing is even stronger than in the Crest.

Interestingly, my son and my wife can't really detect much difference between the scents. I can detect some, but more in the topnotes, and less as time goes by.

OK, that was all on paper. Then on skin. Wow! The smoke is definitely there, and it's definitely stronger in my vintage Green. It's almost a half-burnt pipe tobacco smell in Green. Definitely less in Crest. Then my wife came in the room, went "AAAACK!", and started doing Buddhist prayers. (That's what she does whenever she thinks I'm spraying something with too much incense.) So we definitely have smoke.

I'm with Aeromatic on this one. Even though my Polo Green was bought at the request of a woman who later dumped me, I think Green definitely rocks.

[Topsiders! LOL! My hair just parted itself down the middle on being reminded of those.]

Quote Originally Posted by aeromatic View Post
    "buy a bottle of original Polo" - YES!
    Before I got to that line I was already thinking to tell you that. I have Crest and Polo and the Polo is to die for. I don't know why, but it makes me want to drench myself in it. The Crest is really nice, but not like that. Go for the real thing. It's awesome.
    SirSlarty: "If I weren't such a fragrance junkie, I wouldn't go any further than smelling Polo and wear it all my life."
    bbBD: "Of all of my many fragrances, Polo brings more compliments from women than any other."
    I grew up on Polo and was as preppy as can be. Still am to some extand and wear alot of Polo shirts and things. I guess it is called preppy/GQ at my age now..lolAnyways, I wish I could buy the Green and stay myself but I agree with Oaksbluff above. I tried it again lately and there is a more synthetic/powerful start to it that I don't enjoy. I'll try again though. Maybe I miss the small, plastic bottle and gold top.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan