Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: September Purchases

I've learnt a new term today - Factice - the Jeroboam of the perfume world!

I just bought - or my partner hunter gathered for me in a branch of Douglas in Germany, to be exact - a 30ml bottle of Bvlgari Jasmin Noir, which came with an adorable mini of Marc Jacobs Daisy. I see why people have children know - the notion of miniaturisation is quite irresistible. I invite those of you who know Jasmin Noir to participate in a group swoon at a time convenient to our respective time zones. Those who don't, hie thee to a high class emporium at your earliest convenience and check it out!

Just won a lot of 13 minis--some vintage, some new--on ebay. It included Third Man by Caron; Private Collection parfum; L'Interdit parfum, Avon Topaze, and Vetiver de Guerlain.
    Squeeeeeeee! :bounce:

I've never bought "vintage" frags before. It will be interesting to see if the older frags are still any good. Still, for less than $30, I figured the gamble was worth it.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Just placed an order at FragranceX for Poupée, Byzance, Eden and Kingdom.

I couldn't resist when I saw 100ml EDT bottle of the best chypre in the world, Y by YSL, for less than £20/$37. Well, actually, I did resist for a couple of weeks, but it came home with me today. This will be another slightly tricky wear though because my mum also loved it.

3 x 20 mL of Coco Mademoiselle EdT 'Tiwst and Spray'. An adorable "bottle" for the handbag!
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukapai View Post
    I couldn't resist when I saw 100ml EDT bottle of the best chypre in the world, Y by YSL, for less than £20/$37. Well, actually, I did resist for a couple of weeks, but it came home with me today. This will be another slightly tricky wear though because my mum also loved it.
    Sorry to be a cracked record, but that one has an animalic base (as in the "c" word, right? ). I have read uniformly excellent reviews of Y which support your view of it as the best chypre in the world, but it may not be for me.

Do I infer that the "tricky wear" aspect relates to your mother no longer being around? I understand that, although my mother had no particular scent she adopted as her own, but politely wore what she was given as a gift, including from me. I of course, having come very late to perfume mania, was spectacularly clueless in these matters during her lifetime, so looking back she was a bit of a trooper really to persist with the potent brews I gave her in loving ignorance.

To redress these lapses retrospectively - and forgive me for going off topic, though it may yet result in a September purchase! - I thought of choosing a perfume launched in the year she died that could serve as a "commemorative scent", and which would be much more in keeping with her personality. Two candidates I am considering are Attrape-Coeur and Lancome Mille et Une Roses, but it is a weighty decision, so I am taking my time!
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 28th September 2008 at 11:25 AM.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Haven't purchased in quite a few months. Actually, I haven't even gone shopping to sniff either.

Yesterday I went shopping down along our famed Bloor Street, where all the big name stores are. Went to Guerlain, Chanel, Hermes to name a few.

First Hermes, sniffed the new Mousson scent. Did nothing for me... I was dressed in my normal sloppiness and didn't even warrant an acknowledgement from the Sales people. oh well, their loss.

Chanel.... oh I loved my visit there. Laurie who knows me introduced me to her fragrance expert Gina. I tried Sycomore (loved it!) and Eau Premiere No 5, which was surprising good. Now, the only No5 I like is the parfum (EDT and EDP did nothing for me) and surprisingly the Eau Premiere is closest to the parfum. Nice! Scored a few samples Also picked up a big backup bottle of Cuir de Russie (looks nice on my dresser). I have a bottle of Bois des Iles parfum on hold for next month's purchase too.

Guerlain... okay, what's up? Another change in store management. That's twice this year... what gives. Tried the Insolence EDP. Like others on this board, I prefer the EDP to the EDT -- it's deeper and not has bright, with more violets and less of the fruity notes.

My favourite "purchase" is the Shalimar EDP, 75ml, which I got for free from my loyalty points at our local drug store. I've been meaning to purchase this one to round out my Shalimar collection. It's my favourite formulation of Shalimar. The opening is so deep and full of incense. EDT is too lemony -- this one is perfect.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Quote Originally Posted by VM I hate civet View Post
    Sorry to be a cracked record, but that one has an animalic base (as in the "c" word, right? ). I have read uniformly excellent reviews of Y which support your view of it as the best chypre in the world, but it may not be for me.

Do I infer that the "tricky wear" aspect relates to your mother no longer being around? I understand that, although my mother had no particular scent she adopted as her own, but politely wore what she was given as a gift, including from me. I of course, having come very late to perfume mania, was spectacularly clueless in these matters during her lifetime, so looking back she was a bit of a trooper really to persist with the potent brews I gave her in loving ignorance.

To redress these lapses retrospectively - and forgive me for going off topic, though it may yet result in a September purchase! - I thought of choosing a perfume launched in the year she died that could serve as a "commemorative scent", and which would be much more in keeping with her personality. Two candidates I am considering are Attrape-Coeur and Lancome Mille et Une Roses, but it is a weighty decision, so I am taking my time!
    Yeah, she's no longer around (and that's not always a bad thing - long, complicated story of an exciting, but painful relationship - which is why her favourite scents are "tricky" for me). I adore Shalimar and really like Y - and it's taken me years to even attempt to wear them. So far, so good. I'm trying to bring them to the here-and-now. And it's taken me years to accept that I am like my mother in some ways; that I could, for example, love the same scents.

Attrape-Coeur has been on my test list for a while; I'm going to have to get hold of some to see why it's so well loved. It sounds like something I might like a lot.

So I had ordered bandit, Sweet Oriental Dream, 2 Lutens, then I got 2 L' artisans and now I bought Antidoate and Flowers le Parfum as well. I think I'll count the last 2 towards next month instead!

To be fair, the first 4 haven't arrived yet.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

My Love's True Bluish Light 30ml EDP arrived today from Ava Luxe, together with a very generous sample of MILK. Happy Days!

Something about the first and last days of the month inspire me to purchase. Heck, who am I kidding, every day inspires me to purchase.

Anyhow, finally caved and bought Sensuous. I had a $25 Macy's gift card and was going to apply towards the $40 one-ounce bottle. But they had a holiday gift box with the larger bottle, plus a purse-sized spray, plus the lotion, for "only" $55. Well, the lotion is nice. . . . I'm hopeless.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    . . . I'm hopeless.
    Aw, BlackCat. You're not hopeless. You work hard and you help cats in your spare time. My cats and I think you deserve to smell really really good!

Besides, we're supposed to be bad for our first year at this, right???

On this last day of September, I bought Lancome's Benghal, of the Collection Voyage. I bought this because the sandalwood in this scent is to-die-for... it really stands up and shines amidst the other notes of jasmine, apricot, ginger, mandarin, osmanthus, and musk.

Last purchase of the month (but it won't arrive until October)...a shiny full bottle of Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe. Plus accompanying samples

This month, the only real risk was buying Bal a Versailles unsniffed based on a review and comparison with another scent I know and love. But this 1oz EDC bottle was only $15 from Amazon, and free shipping....

The two other purchases, Acqua di Parma Iris Noble and the Ambre Russe, I tried many times from samples and decants. I wasn't going to buy Iris Noble, but a BNer was selling a partial bottle for a great price, so it was an issue of taking the opportunity! And the Ambre Russe I have given ample time to sink into my nose and my skin. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    Something about the first and last days of the month inspire me to purchase. Heck, who am I kidding, every day inspires me to purchase.

Anyhow, finally caved and bought Sensuous. I had a $25 Macy's gift card and was going to apply towards the $40 one-ounce bottle. But they had a holiday gift box with the larger bottle, plus a purse-sized spray, plus the lotion, for "only" $55. Well, the lotion is nice. . . . I'm hopeless.
    Gosh, yes, the holiday season is almost upon us. Our local department store's elves are furiously putting together the Christmas displays, behind closed curtains. I suspect the unveiling will come a week or two before Hallowe'en. Ack! There'll be plenty of gifts with purchases fragrance sets to tempt us further. BEWARE! or Enjoy it while you can!
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Tom Ford's White Patchouli - MINI size!
    Dior's Addict - second bottle purchase, for the coming winter!
    Blind buy of Golden Amber by Becker Eshaya...why, oh why do I do this???

I say that if you can share the fragrance - it counts!
    Last edited by ubuandibeme; 2nd October 2008 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paula View Post
    My Love's True Bluish Light 30ml EDP arrived today from Ava Luxe, together with a very generous sample of MILK. Happy Days!
    this was my purchase of the month , for my daughter, with a sample of no. 23 included.
    LTBL is an inspired creation.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

My full bottle purchases for September were Iskander and Costes