Code of Conduct

Default Polo Double Black, Gucci Envy, or Terre D' Hermes?

Hey guys out of those 3 which is yalls fave? I'm Getting one of those and one mini of another of those 3 so only one gets left out. Which 2 do you guys think?

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Polo Double Black, Gucci Envy, or Terre D' Hermes?

Without any doubt or hesitation - Terre d'Hermes and Gucci Envy
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Only Envy

Double Black is one of my favorite fragrances of all time. It's a spicy and creamy oriental. If you haven't tried it yet, definitely test it out. I highly recommend it.

If I remember correctly, Envy is the Gucci fragrance that smells like burnt pencil shavings. I didn't care for that one. (It's been over a year since I tried it, so I think it's time to test it out again)

I used to own Terre d'Heremes (given to me as a gift) and it was just way too strong and overbearing for my tastes. A single spray almost had me choking at times.
    Last edited by Shaheen; 2nd September 2008 at 12:54 AM.

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by Shaheen View Post
    If I remember correctly, Envy is the Gucci fragrance that smells like burnt pencil shavings.
    You're thinking of Gucci Pour Homme, actually.

Gucci Envy For Men is a "must get". It's one of the most beautiful men's fragrances to come out of that house, and it just exudes class. If I had to choose between Terre d'Hermès and Polo Double Black, I'd go with Polo Double Black. But only by a small margin, and only because I consider it more versatile.

By the way, I own only Gucci Envy For Men and Terre d'Hermès. The only reason I do not own Polo Double Black is because I bought a 75ml bottle of Polo Black first, and am still using it. I did sample Polo Double Black, however.
    Last edited by Astaroth; 2nd September 2008 at 07:31 PM.

Blog Entries

You are given three hard candies, exactly the same except for flavor. One is orange citrus (TdH). One is creme de menthe with anisette (GEFM). The third is a very light almond creme (PDB). Pick two.

Seriously, I wear TdH for work about once a week when I have a tie or I'm in a meeting, Gucci Envy in the evening when dressing up about twice a year, and Polo Double Black several times a year when I'm wearing a T-shirt and a motorcycle jacket on my bike and I'm pretending I'm that dude in the ad. I love all three, but differently.

You better hurry up and buy a bottle of something, my friend. All this suspense is killing us!

I have Envy and Terre de Hermes, I would get the Terre de Hermes. More versatile, and can also be worn in summer. Get Carven Homme instead of Envy if you must have cinnamon (cheaper).
    Last edited by Mattybumpkin; 2nd September 2008 at 02:47 AM. Reason: update
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

GE is a solid frag, but I consider it a "training wheels" one, because it seems basic. TdH is for someone with a very specific taste (it strikes me as rotting oranges). PDB is an oddball, with notes that don't seem to be complimentary, but I got used to it, though not enough to buy a full bottle. Carven Homme is what I'd recommend, and it will probably cost you half as much as those three.

LOL @ redneck perfumisto... good way of putting it!

I too own all three. TdH gets the most wears - it's a great daytime fragrance that's very versatile. Double Black is interesting - it mixes coffee, patchouli and mango. Anything RL gets a bad rap on BN, but I like it and think it also works well in any situation. Envy is more formal - it's a rich vanilla/spice mix that I personally wouldn't wear to the office or in the heat.

You can't go wrong with any, but if I had to pick one I'd say TdH.

TdH or PDB...

i think Gucci Envy is a safe bet..and so is Polo DB..TdH is something tht's very different..must sample first kinds...TdH reminds of me of scorching desert heat, in a nice way ofcourse...but again, not my types..
    Last edited by jenson; 2nd September 2008 at 04:40 AM.

I agree with Jenson. The safest route would be to get a large bottle of Polo Double Black - as this is wearable in any situation really, and a mini of Gucci Envy. Envy is far more formal than your other two options and you'll likely find far fewer occasions to wear it, so a mini or decant should last you a long time. TdH I hated at first - I found it to be thin, anemic, and grating, but slowly over time I've warmed up to it. Jenson said it well when he mentioned scorching desert heat - it evokes a similar image for me. I like it now, but it's a real monster of a scent and one or two sprays is plenty. I'd say if you do get TdH, a mini (the TdH mini is about 0.5 ounces (15ml) I think) would last you a long long time.

Double Black needs about 6-8 sprays to be as strong as 1-2 of Terre, and so a full bottle purchase would make more sense there.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Gotta tell 'ya, I REALLY like Redneck Perfumisto's take on it. Puts the descriptions in a tidy nutshell....uber-slick! I, myself, also thought of the title and a vision of food came to me (though my mind thought it was like asking, "...sausage pizza, pot roast, or roasted chicken? Which should I serve at a party?". OK, OK.....here's my take:

Polo Double Black: The cardamom note in this is reminiscent to me of the cardamom in Unleaded for Men by Donna Karan or even Corduroy by Zirh. Spicy when I tried it but not off-putting. Nice but not dull.

Gucci Envy: Spicy, woodsy, rich and maybe even quite bold depending on your skin type. Maybe a little too flashy (or do they say "romantic" nowadays?) for the office. This scent is an attention-getter. As subtle as a 1955 Chevy with wheely bars and a blower stickin' outta the hood if you become careless in application. Easy on the trigger, OK?

Terre D'Hermes: To me, this scent is more subtle than Gucci's Envy but may be considerably harder to like. The citrus is prominent, but not sugary sweet. A lot of people, however, find a snag further on in the evolution of the scent. One of the basenotes (or the accord created by the notes) has a feel or perception that tends to remind one of stone, mineral-rich soil, or some even say flint as well. On some folks it's not as peonounced, but I have heard of situations where folks just stopped wearing the scent just because they didn't like the "machine oil" smell in the drydown.

Well, that's enough 'o me chewing on your ear (sorry). Now....go out and sample if you can or familiarize yourself to the Basenotes Marketplace if these are blind-buys.

Good Luck and Have Fun!!

Last edited by Richie_B; 2nd September 2008 at 05:42 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Richie_B View Post
    Gucci ... As subtle as a 1955 Chevy with wheely bars and a blower stickin' outta the hood if you become careless in application. Easy on the trigger, OK?
    LOL! That was my laugh of the night - and SO true! There's a fine line between "romantic wear" and.... ugh, yeah. Easy on the trigger. LOL!

I do think SculptureOfSoul has made some excellent volumetric arguments. Envy is a great frag to own, but I'm not very far into my big bottle, even after a spell where I used it constantly. (see above)

I'm into longevity, and Envy wins hands down on that score.
    I don't get much lasting power out of the other two (while others seem to get it from TDH). Test before you buy.
    Renato

Envy is my favourite out of those.

Smile Re: Polo Double Black, Gucci Envy, or Terre D' Hermes?

Gucci Envy and TDH.. although I prefer the Envy more...

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

It would have to be Envy; I've only tried TdH the once and I really don't care for Polo Double Black.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Ok guys thanks for the responses I really wish i could get all 3 since my current bottle is of Armani Mania is getting low but $120 is a little bit much for my 16 year old budget So im thinking maybe a big bottle of DB and then minis of both TDH and GE. Where do you think would be the cheapest place to buy?

Terre D'Hermes for certain. And Envy at the close second.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

good choice!

Sorry, none of them. Envy turns my stomach, Polo is rather bland to me. Perhaps TdH is the victim of my bad memories of Declaration, but I wouldn't pay for it.

Blog Entries

fragrancenet.com has minis of Envy, bigdiscount.com has minis of TdH, but neither has the other. perfumeemporium.com has minis of all three. Prices on perfumeemporium are a tiny bit more, but it's one shipment.

And if you can't do it with a credit card and must use a store, then you're on your own. I don't know what's close to you, and gas prices count.

or try beautyencounter.com, they definitely have minis of TdH and good prices on everything else.

gamecockfreak2000, i suggest, very simply, that you try them because we can tell you a million things about how great either fragrance is, but, dude, you need to see what you like, bottom line, rule numero uno, very simple. So test them and report back. Also, please do not forget that it is a bad idea to buy any fragrance blind, especially when you can go to any mall and test all three fragrances very easily, i.e., they are not niche fragrances and any Macy's, Sephora, Barney's. Saks, or any kiask at the mall will have them, no doubt about it.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 3rd September 2008 at 02:41 AM.

Envy first for sure and TdH would be my second choice...
    top ten: L'Air du Desert Marocain, Black Aoud, Le Labo Rose 31, Bois du Portugal, Incense Rose, Millesime Imperial, Czech & Speake no.88, Terre de Hermes, Musc Ravageur, Nasomatto Duro

Best layers: GIT and TdH, GIT and BA

sample wishlist: Roses Musk

Believe me, TdH will be the best choice. Envy sometimes makes me feel...tired, unhappy to wear. But Terre, I never get bored. Terre is scent of life, of man, of Earth. It's natural, relax, calming.

Terre D' Hermes for sure.

Regards,
    Steve

If you want to smell like oranges, try Clinique Happy before you commit to buy Hermes. You may like that one more.