Welcome to Day 2 of the Basenotes International Convention. Chairman Osborne has gaveled into session the SotM report. The raw numbers for August 2008 were the highest ever.
There were 5,000 posts in August up from 4,454 in July.
1,673 different scents mentioned up from 1,558 last month.
850 of these were mentioned once up from 768 for an individuality index of 17.0% down slightly from July’s 17.2%. If you add in the scents that were worn 2,3,or 4 times; i.e less than once a week on average, the individuality index climbs to 46.8% down from last month’s record 50.4%.
The first three numbers are the highest numbers yet for a month but that has been true of every month that I’ve compiled so far. It is a good indication of how Basenotes is growing and that there are more active members posting.
The top 10 contains eight of the same scents from July’s top 10. There is a new #1 in Guerlain Vetiver. At #2 is the King of Basenotes, Hermes Terre D’Hermes. Yves St. Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme has seen its wears go up as the summer wore on and in August it posts a 35% increase over its July total. Tauer L’Air du Desert Marocain has also been climbing higher, but not as sharply higher as Rive Gauche, and it clocks in at #4 this month. The ladies’ favorite Jicky comes in at #5 followed by Creed Green Irish Tweed and Rive Gauche’s stablemate Kouros. Kouros also seems to be another warm-waether scent and it will be interesting to see if they are in the top 10 next month as the temperatures in the Northern Hemisphere begin to cool. At #8 we get our first new entry and it is solely on the testing of the women that it is here, as Estee Lauder Sensuous is the first newcomer to the top 10 this month. The women have been giving this an extensive testing this past month. What will be interesting is to see how many of the testers turn into regular users. Tied with Sensuous is Guerlain Habit Rouge and the other different scent from last month Le Labo Rose 31. Rose 31 is a roller coaster of wears one month it is up and another it is down. It doesn’t seem to have anything to do with the temperature so I don’t know why the big shifts in wear patterns but they’re there.
Here is the top 10 for August 2008
1.) Guerlain Vetiver 54 wears (1.1%)
2.) Hermes Terre D’Hermes 51 wears (1.0%)
3.) Yves St. Lauren Rive Gauche pour Homme 48 wears (1.0%)
4.) Tauer L’Air du Desert Marocain 39 wears (0.8%)
5.) Guerlain Jicky 38 wears (0.8%)
6.) Creed Green Irish Tweed 33 wears (0.7%)
7.) Yves St. Laurent Kouros 27 wears (0.5%)
8.) Estee Lauder Sensuous 26 wears (0.5%)
8.) Guerlain Habit Rouge 26 wears (0.5%)
8.) Le Labo Rose 31 26 wears (0.5%)

Just missing this month were a pair of Creeds Virgin Island Water and Bois du Portugal. The re-emergence of Bois du Portugal is interesting and I’m wondering if its reverse hibernation is over and we’ll see it return to the top 10 as the regular it was for the first couple of months of doing this.
That’s it for SotM this month.
As always you keep wearing ‘em and I’ll keep counting ‘em
Have a well-fragranced week