Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default SotQ June-August 2008

Day 3 of the Basenotes International Convention sees the reading of the quarterly report for June through August 2008. The raw numbers for the quarter are:
    13,854 posts up from 10,225 posts in the first quarter.
    2,648 scents mentioned up from 2,069.
    1,062 scents worn once up from 890 which is a 7.7% individuality index down from 9.8% last quarter.
    Extend the index by adding in the scents worn 2,3,or 4 times and it jumps to 23.4% down from 25.0% last quarter.
    Another barometer of the growth of the community as the totals are climbing by greater than 20% across the board. Pretty impressive.
    There are no surprises in the top 10 as these are the most consistently worn scents over the warm-weather months of June-August. Six of the scents remain from the first quarter’s top 10 and four scents make their entry.
    The leader of the pack is Hermes Terre D’Hermes by a large margin down to Guerlain Vetiver and Yves St. Lauren Rive Gauche pour Homme. These two, while popular in the first quarter, have seen more wears during the warmer months. Guerlain Habit Rouge replaces Heritage in the top 10 this month. Creed Green Irish Tweed, Guerlain Jicky and Tauer L’Air du Desert Marocain all holdover from the first quarter, as well. The remaining three scents are Yves St. Laurent Kouros, Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire and Comme des Garcons Monocle Scent One: Hinoki. The first two are representatives of clear warm-weather favorites in the community. Hinoki has been the classic example of watching a scent go through a period of testing followed by acceptance. Based on recent SotW’s it looks like there might be some challengers from the fall releases and now that I have seen a successful launch play out within the community I’m curious to see if the pattern will repeat for another scent.
    Here now the top 10 for June-August 2008
    1.) Hermes Terre D’Hermes 161 wears (1.2%)
    2.) Guerlain Vetiver 123 wears (0.9%)
    3.) Yves St. Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme 119 wears (0.9%)
    4.) Creed Green Irish Tweed 88wears (0.6%)
    5.) Guerlain Habit Rouge 87 wears (0.6%)
    6.) Comme des Garcons Monocle Scent One: Hinoki 86 wears (0.6%)
    6.) Tauer L’Air du Desert Marocain 86 wears (0.6%)
    8.) Yves St. Laurent Kouros 76 wears (0.5%)
    9.) Guerlain Jicky 75 wears(0.5%)
    10.) Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire 62 wears (0.4%)

Just missing were Dior Homme and Thierry Mugler Cologne both of which were in the first quarter top 10.
    As always, you keep wearing ‘em and I’ll keep counting ‘em
    Have a well-fragranced week.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: SotQ June-August 2008

Man, that really is some impressive growth. Curious to see how things play out in the fall. I think the next quarter is going to be really, really interesting. Once you have three in a row, it could be pretty informative. Plus, all these recent launches should show up in comparison. Very neat!

Thanks again for all your hard work. We do owe you.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: SotQ June-August 2008

Thanks SMM!

Just thinking about making 24,000 data entries is impressive - doing it, even more so!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost