Code of Conduct

Default Royall Muske--Now THAT's a barbershop

So I'll start this by thanking a kind and generous Sir Slarty by donating many, many samples to me to add to the ones that other basenoters have added. It really shows how good hearted alot of people are here.

Anyways, Royall Muske. Small little bottle in a package of niche to non-niche..a mix. I put this on for a second. Love it. I don't care the price or whatever. THAT scent is the old Dad scent I always remember. THAT is what I expected from Rive Gauche but didn't get. I can easily see myself throwing some of this on for a weekend in the yard. I'd be happy. I'm thinking Fall day, mowing the yard or having a beer afterward while watching football.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 2nd September 2008 at 08:43 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Smile Re: Royall Musk--Now THAT's a barbershop

I'm with you on this one.. very nice scent indeed.. very underrated!

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

Default Re: Royall Musk--Now THAT's a barbershop

You're welcome and Royall Muske is pure barbershop (complete with 6th chord singing).

Default Re: Royall Musk--Now THAT's a barbershop

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    You're welcome and Royall Muske is pure barbershop (complete with 6th chord singing).
    It really is. Again, this is what I expected from other "barbershop" scents. It is perfectly in my head as the 70s scent on my Dad and a barbershop. All good things. I'm not sure if that is what he had on but I love it.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Default Re: Royall Muske--Now THAT's a barbershop

Another fan of Royall Muske here. I didn't expect to find any threads on this scent. Heck, there just don't seem to be much talk about Royall here, even though I think their scents are pretty high quality and underrated. I find the opening to be a little harsh on my skin, but after just 5-10 minutes the smell is very pleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    THAT scent is the old Dad scent I always remember. THAT is what I expected from Rive Gauche but didn't get. I can easily see myself throwing some of this on for a weekend in the yard. I'd be happy. I'm thinking Fall day, mowing the yard or having a beer afterward while watching football.
    Thanks for posting this. I am always looking for great barbershop scents.

Royall Rocks! I love this Bermuda made line. None of their scents fail to impress and all have an old world charm filled with class and elegance. If you like these I'd say check out D.S. & Durga (www.dsanddurga.com) fragrances too.

Cheers,
    Al

Royall Muske is the scent I thought Rive Gauche would be when I bought it blind. That being said I do like rive gauche better. Royall Muske is more barbershop though.

straight to the test list!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

I'm glad you found a winner for you, tc! RM is a very pleasant scent.

There are several distinct "barbershop" smells - shaving cream, aftershave, talc, etc., and they've all been described at some point in the past here on Basenotes as the definitive barbershop smell.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 14th December 2008 at 09:33 AM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Also it is very reasonably priced. 4 ounces I think retails for $40. I purchased 2 ounces for $7.99 from tj maxx. You can probably find a 4 ounce online for $20-$30.

I know this is a 2 year bump, but I figured I may as well use this thread as a tool to get some thoughts on this scent. The bottle is quite nice and I see it at a local shop. Its not cheap, but not pricey either.

Anyways, can anyone comment on :

a) This fragrance's longevity ?

b) Particular notes and accords

c) Other scents this reminds you of. Whether they be other fragrances or just objects ( ie shaving soap, old toiletries....etc).

Thanks !
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I get good (6+ hours) longevity from RM.

The main notes are nutmeg, clove and musk. A musky Tabac Original of sorts actually.

One frag RM reminds me of is the equally soapy but stronger and longer-lasting Monsieur Musk by Dana. Different enough to own both (which i do).
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Thanks Perfaddict for the info. It doesn't look like too many guys wear this scent. It may be intesting to have. I remember the SA in the small shop smirking when he read the box. Seemed like a multi purpose item ( such as using in a bath....etc). I may just pick it up, although hope I can find a tester somewhere. 6 hours seems decent.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I like the Royall products. I just splashed a little of thier musk on last night to compare with my 2 new Pinauds. Great stuff.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)