Code of Conduct

Question Straight to Heaven & Caravelle Epicée - your thoughts?

I loved Straight to Heaven enough to buy a bottle and have a feeling I'll buy a refill once it's gone. I've also got a couple of samples of Caravelle Epicée from Frapin.

Straight to Heaven is quite linear.. but fantastic. I love it from start to finish.

I've noticed the Frapin is really an amazing creature though. It starts out spicier than the StH and has a definite development that StH might not share.

I thought the Frapin had a good bit of similarities when I wore it the other night but didn't really analyze it too much or think twice about it. However, I threw the same shirt on this evening to run to the post office and could not get over the fact that the shirt had such a reminiscent note of Straight to Heaven.

THE BIG QUESTION: What are your thoughts on the two and how they relate to each other? I enjoy the scent so much that I may end up with both
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Default Re: Straight to Heaven & Caravelle Epicée - your thoughts?

can't comment intelligently on the STH, but the CE is beautiful for sure...

I get figs and cinnamon/nutmeg, a bit of woods and a hint of pepper from it in the opening.

I'm waiting for the drydown...
    top ten: L'Air du Desert Marocain, Black Aoud, Le Labo Rose 31, Bois du Portugal, Incense Rose, Millesime Imperial, Czech & Speake no.88, Terre de Hermes, Musc Ravageur, Nasomatto Duro

Best layers: GIT and TdH, GIT and BA

sample wishlist: Roses Musk

Blog Entries

Straight to Heaven is going to be the SotD for tomorrow (and the last fragrance in my 14-frag niche experiment) so I'll try to get back to this thread then.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

That's so funny ,cause since I own both it was one of the first things that came in my mind.
    I fact I even mentioned in another thread recently.http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214380.

Doing a side by side test, they share the same boozy qualities. Not weird, cause they both have connections with the cognac industry. I read somewhere that StH is based on the sugar in alcohol fron cognac.The CE is more in your face spicy , with a blast of cardamon and spices. By comparing them, I found out , that the fragrances are differend afterall but they share the same construction, with the boozy notes.
    I prefer StH , cause it''s the more wearable one for me. The more I wear StH , I find out , it's more a subtle , musky, boozy skin scent, than a loud scent.
    Last edited by eric; 3rd September 2008 at 05:15 AM.

On my skin Straight to Heaven instantly became a disgusting pure single note patchouli oil from the 60's, with no other discernible notes at all. I know it smells great on other people but on me it's a no go. $225 for patchouli oil is a bit excessive even for me.

Can't comment on the Frapin, but I have to say that Straight to Heaven is now my all-time favorite scent, having knocked Angel Men out of the top spot.

I do agree on the linear elements, but it is so well-blended and smooth that it's amazing... words can't describe it. Two thumbs up!
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) Musk Oud - By Kilian
    4) Encre Noire - Lalique
    5)
    M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

You should really try Caravelle Epicée as well as Idole de Lubin if you love StH. I've also got Idole de Lubin and Lub it

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    Can't comment on the Frapin, but I have to say that Straight to Heaven is now my all-time favorite scent, having knocked Angel Men out of the top spot.

I do agree on the linear elements, but it is so well-blended and smooth that it's amazing... words can't describe it. Two thumbs up!

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    On my skin Straight to Heaven instantly became a disgusting pure single note patchouli oil from the 60's, with no other discernible notes at all. I know it smells great on other people but on me it's a no go. $225 for patchouli oil is a bit excessive even for me.
    I share your opinion on this one. On me the only time it gets somewhat interesting is in the drydown.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Yes, I am responding to something that is over 2 years old. I was doing some searching for thoughts on Straight to Heaven and this thread popped up. Well, guess what I am wearing today. Straight to Heaven on my left hand, Caravelle Epicée on my right, so I felt like this was the perfect place to respond. For me, Straight to Heaven is completely linear (which I do like linear scents if they smell great throughout the process) however for the price, this is nothing overly great. Growing up, my dad worked at a lumber yard. Straight to Heaven smells exactly like the mill where there were piles of sawdust everywhere. Nice smell, zero booze to me, and maybe just a stronger version of CDG Wonderwood in my opinion. Caravelle Epicée however is an amazing scent. Especially around the winter months, Epicée is really stands out with a nice warm cinnamon and spice with some booze thrown in. Definitely seems appropriate for the leather chair next to the fireplace feel. I'm not sure that it's my absolute favorite in this genre, but it's pretty close.

i used to love CE.. but it's only in subsequent wears that i realized that it has a very lame drydown. very boring and non descript. swapped my bottle sooner after. i would prefer Striaght to heaven.

For the record, I now own both and you couldn't pry either from my hands. Straight to Heaven is one of my favorites over all and my wife's favorite on me. I'm actually about to finish a bottle (rare for me).