Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: which should I try, Top 10?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aoud Cuir D'Arabie

19 26.76%
  • Ambre Extrême

12 16.90%
  • Ambre Précieux

24 33.80%
  • Balenciaga pour Homme

10 14.08%
  • Basala / Basara

14 19.72%
  • Blue Amber

20 28.17%
  • Bogart pour Homme

11 15.49%
  • Citron Citron

2 2.82%
  • Concerto

1 1.41%
  • Eau d'Hermès

24 33.80%
  • Fleurs d'Oranger

6 8.45%
  • Hammam Bouquet

25 35.21%
  • Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo

17 23.94%
  • Knize Ten

33 46.48%
  • L'Air du Desert Marocain

43 60.56%
  • Léonard pour Homme

6 8.45%
  • Macassar

13 18.31%
  • Richard James

15 21.13%
  • Sybaris

9 12.68%
  • Le Petit Grain

5 7.04%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Cool I know what you want, a poll !

Now that I am a full fledged Supporter, instead of a cheapskate going along for the ride, I have come to realize just how much polls are appreciated by the old timers in Basenotes, the moderators, and most anyone who has a love of fragrances.

Sadly, I've also been recently aware of many " Goodbye I'm out of here threads" by folks whom I held in high esteem. Further, my $50 may not turn the tide towards Grant's future and even if it does, the site may crash, or my reviews never appear again under the frags listed.

I wondered what I would most want to know if Basenotes, heaven forfend, would cease to exist?

In a flash it came to me: Which new fragrances I should try? Even if I do get fired soon, which should be my priorities?.

These frags have been highly recommended and I have them in my ' To Try ' list, but unless you PM me with offers of free decants, they are simply too many.

So, a poll is called for: Please help out this impoverished narcissist with the hope that someday, I'll get the top 10.

Here we go
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Default Re: I know what you want, a poll !

Now that I am a full fledged Supporter, instead of a cheapskate going along for the ride,

what crap ! ... to refer to others as cheapskates ,, your full of crap mate .
    & you have the balls to ask for free decants .... hmmm .

Cool Re: I know what you want, a poll !

No, Dimitrios look at my join date, I should have become a Supporter years ago, I dd not imply anyone else but myself was a chepskate. Grant needs our support, and after 1,000 posts I figured it was high time . . .

folks, please send all your free decants to Dimitrious, he's a lovely human being with a regrettable habit of looking for offense when none is intended. The scents might soothe him.

Where was I?

Oh yes, a poll.
    My Wardrobe

What you implied whether accidental or not is quite clear .
    Some people here may not be in a position to become Supporters for many reasons .
    Your opening line was not needed .
    As for your childish requests to others to redirect there gifts my way ... haha more crap
    I am regularly suprised & also enjoy exchanging with others .
    I say no more ......

Say no more.

Cheers,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 3rd September 2008 at 07:57 AM.
    My Wardrobe

I don't usually give recommendations before looking at a member's wardrobe. But you have something else to offer instead: a large number of fine reviews, sometimes cheeky, and always to the point a la Sanchez. That warrants fun reading. I have a better idea about your personal preferences now, and so I recommended two leathers, one of them unconditionally.

Now off to see if Cuiron really has lemon somewhere...
    some 30 min later: You could have fooled me. Top notes don't count !! .
    Last edited by narcus; 3rd September 2008 at 01:08 PM. Reason: re lemon
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I started selecting all the "Must try's" Before I knew I had all of them selected Shouldn't ahve selcected these as as I have not tried them, but oh well:
    Macassar, Richard James, Sybaris, Le Petit Grain
    Last edited by irish; 3rd September 2008 at 09:23 AM.

Mario,
    Cheap or not, you joined and that's all that matters.

I picked most of the ones I've sampled and left those that I haven't.

Oud cuir d'Arabie
    l'Air du Desert Marocain
    Hamman Bouquet
    Villoresi Uomo
    Knize Ten

Don't care much for the intense ambers. Not my thing.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

[quote=Snafoo;1298300]Mario,
    Cheap or not, you joined and that's all that matters.

.... why is it so snafoo ?

Wink Re: I know what you want, a poll !

Mario! YOU GO BOY! Try the Hamman Bouquet.

Really, I'm sure Dimitrios is having you on with his rant. But we should all be Basenotes Supporters if we have 300 or more posts anyhow!

Quote Originally Posted by graffham View Post
    Mario! YOU GO BOY! Try the Hamman Bouquet.

Really, I'm sure Dimitrios is having you on with his rant. But we should all be Basenotes Supporters if we have 300 or more posts anyhow!
    Im dead friggin serious .. calling me a cheapskate !
    ... So Grafham > if you had your way you would make it mandatory ?
    Some folk are in debt with mortgages & big families etc etc .. perhaps it would be best if the rich with multiple properties & various income streams fork out & pay for those who can't !

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    Some folk are in debt with mortgages & big families etc etc .. perhaps it would be best if the rich with multiple properties & various income streams fork out & pay for those who can't !
    You misunderstood a playful comment and are making a mountain out of it. No one has said anything even close to what you wrote above.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Blimey, All right calm down everyone.

While is lovely that there are people in a position to be able to support the site, there are others that are not able to (I would be in the same position).

Non-supporters support the site in different ways (ie being made to look at adverts, whereas Supporters can switch them off).

Err... if no one else is gonna say it:
    I love perfume.
    Last edited by the_good_life; 3rd September 2008 at 11:56 AM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Err... if no one else is gonna say it:
    I love perfume.
    Yeah where's KnightOwl when you need him?

Now that I am a full fledged Supporter, instead of a cheapskate going along for the ride,

what crap ! ... to refer to others as cheapskates ,, your full of crap mate .
    & you have the balls to ask for free decants .... hmmm .
    I have to disagree with you on this point.

Mario refers to himself as having been a cheapskate - as he is quite entitled to do - probably because, on reflection, he thought that given his personal circumstances and relationship to the board, a material contribution was now in order.

He didn't refer to others as cheapskates.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 3rd September 2008 at 12:20 PM.

The comments the original poster made could definately be taken as passive aggressively calling people who don't support the site cheapskates. However, I don't read into it that far. I'm a uni student anyway; I'm allowed to be a cheapskate

Of all the frags listed the only one I've tried was Bogart pour Homme. This one you can get so cheap that IMO is a great blind buy, especially if you like sweet, long lasting gourmands. Its a great winter frag. The easiest way to summarise it would be 'Complex Axe (Lynx) Africa.'
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

It can mean nothing else .....
    He's fully fledged now & no longer a cheapskate going for a ride !
    Definately not the brightest way to announce it .....
    anyway I'm being ganged up on here but i must ask
    TwoRoads .. How is it a playfull comment ?
    He says that "we should all be" ... if we have 300 or more .
    Another no brainer comment or suggestion .
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> BACK TO TOPIC
    BASALA
    BOGART
    are the only two I can comment on & are both bottle worthy .

i second you Dimitrios. the whole announcement stinks. His Highness Mario has ascended to the elite club of supporters(i would like to be one too, but not at the cost of callin myself a cheapstake).

it's the humble nature of the "people" who post here religiously and with some amount of dedication that keeps this wonderful site going, people here are the assets that generated supporters and not the other way round. ......i really felt bad that you called "yourself" cheapstake, and i really dunno why i felt bad...anyways.

It can mean nothing else .....
    He's fully fledged now & no longer a cheapskate going for a ride !
    Definately not the brightest way to announce it .....
    anyway I'm being ganged up on here but i must ask
    He says that "we should all be" ... if we have 300 or more .
    Another no brainer comment or suggestion .
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> BACK TO TOPIC
    BASALA
    BOGART
    are the only two I can comment on & are both bottle worthy .
    Obviously this has hit a tender spot of yours, but just reflect for a moment and consider the intensity of your response and whether it was not perhaps too impulsive. It's quite obvious Mario was not aiming to insult anybody but refering to his perception of his own behavior. Anyway, I would not like to see you banned, and other people have been censured for less. Peace!

I clicked virtually every perfume I know, because you've chosen so many greats. I think Knize 10 is a must - get the small bottle if you can, it's only 10 Euros in Germany and lasts quite a while. I'd get Jacques Bogart rather than Bogart pour homme, it's classier and more conservative, while ph is trumped by Campagna's Vento Canale. Richard James is often available as a bargain on ebay.uk these days.
    And if you dig leathers, consider morabito Or Black. I think it's brilliant and it's a mere 45 Euros for the 100ml refill. Beats Cuiron by a mile IMO.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

.. but i must ask
    Because it was a light-hearted self-deprecating comment aimed solely at himself.

There are idioms in English that don't make sense until you understand that the phrase is just a figure of speech.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I think Dimitrios used too much Kouros today!

Obviously this has hit a tender spot of yours, but just reflect for a moment and consider the intensity of your response and whether it was not perhaps too impulsive. It's quite obvious Mario was not aiming to insult anybody
    I rarely do disagree with you the_good_life and this has to be one of those rare moments. I'm sure there've been many more Interesting moments in Dimitrios life, as many that Mario's statement would really not hit a Tender Spot. What it does hit though, is his and my aggravometer.

When I read that quote, the first thing to come to my mind was "WTF?". I don't believe I could have gotten away clean if I was the one posting that quote. And rightfully so, because that post only shows how unbelievably conceited one can be. If there is a character I could associate the OP with, it would be Two-Face.

However, what surprises me MORE is seeing how considerate and heroic basenoters are!. Taking accusations like "Cheapskates" lying down takes a lot of courage. Wow.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    I rarely do disagree with you the_good_life and this has to be one of those rare moments. I'm sure there've been many more Interesting moments in Dimitrios life, as many that Mario's statement would really not hit a Tender Spot. What it does hit though, is his and my aggravometer.

When I read that quote, the first thing to come to my mind was "WTF?". I don't believe I could have gotten away clean if I was the one posting that quote. And rightfully so, because that post only shows how unbelievably conceited one can be. If there is a character I could associate the OP with, it would be Two-Face.

However, what surprises me MORE is seeing how considerate and heroic basenoters are!. Taking accusations like "Cheapskates" lying down takes a lot of courage. Wow.
    There is obviously a classical cultural misunderstanding going on here, as Two_Roads already hinted at. In the context of Mario's post, no American speaker of English would consider the use of the word cheapskate as an insult to other people, but as light-hearted, self-directed banter. That is obviously not your or Dimitrios' reading of it, but can you accept that the communicative intention of the sender was not what you perceived it to be and that he must have been baffled at the hefty response, as other Americans here are? Perhaps we should all get very clear about this and see whether the issue cannot be resolved in a more civilized manner than in Georgia/Russia.

I'll never forget my visit to an Indian store in the seedier part of Frankfurt asking whether they had Ginseng products for my Dad. After explaining that this was a Chinese medicinal drug the guy screamed at me to get the hell out and he was calling the police. He thought I was a junkie wanting to by drugs. My attempts at explaining the misunderstanding just made him angrier. The joys of communication
    My Wardrobe

I, by implication, get called an old man quite frequently on this forum. Or at least it is said that I smell like one. Should I get bent out of shape and raise cain about it?

I also admit that I too was a cheapskate for a year and a half before becoming a supporter.

Relax, dudes. When you get to be as old as I am you won't waste your precious time worrying about silly stuff like this.

Forget it and enjoy. Life's too short for anything else!

noggs

PS: BTW, T_G_L is right. As a native English speaker I immediately perceived that Renato was poking fun at himself, as I have done in this thread. No harm was intended, so none should be taken.
    Last edited by noggs; 3rd September 2008 at 02:01 PM.

There is obviously a classical cultural misunderstanding going on here, as Two_Roads already hinted at. In the context of Mario's post, no American speaker of English would consider the use of the word cheapskate as an insult to other people, but as light-hearted, self-directed banter. That is obviously not your or Dimitrios' reading of it, but can you accept that the communicative intention of the sender was not what you perceived it to be and that he must have been baffled at the hefty response, as other Americans here are? Perhaps we should all get very clear about this and see whether the issue cannot be resolved in a more civilized manner than in Georgia/Russia.

I'll never forget my visit to an Indian store in the seedier part of Frankfurt asking whether they had Ginseng products for my Dad. After explaining that this was a Chinese medicinal drug the guy screamed at me to get the hell out and he was calling the police. He thought I was a junkie wanting to by drugs. My attempts at explaining the misunderstanding just made him angrier. The joys of communication
    You're probably right. We, or rather I am not that lenient against comments/remarks like that. Is that a good thing or bad, I don't know. I still would like the OP to edit out that comment.

And yes, that is an amusing incident you mention

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    I think Dimitrios used too much Kouros today!

Just cracked open the vintage splash bottle !!

I really don't want this to carry on any longer .
    The solution is simple .
    If he's man enough to admit he made his announcment in a very brash way & apologize , I will do so for my aggressive imediate response .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

I apologize for being a cheapskate and an old man!

I took a look at your wardrobe and saw a lot of "macho, macho, man" fragrances. You seem to have the leather thing taken care of, I suggest you go a little more sophisticated this time and get Ambre Précieux.
    But, then again, what do I know, I'm a cheapskate.

Blue Amber and Knize Ten are my favorites on the list.

---

Mario has clarified his initial statement. Isn't that enough? Doesn't he deserve the benefit of doubt?
    Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard are sweeter. (Keats)

Oh fer fu...

nevermind, I'm skipping over the negativity and going back to the poll...

my cheapskate self would be glad to toss you a sample of Blue Ambre from my collection if you'd like to give it a whiff...
    top ten: L'Air du Desert Marocain, Black Aoud, Le Labo Rose 31, Bois du Portugal, Incense Rose, Millesime Imperial, Czech & Speake no.88, Terre de Hermes, Musc Ravageur, Nasomatto Duro

Best layers: GIT and TdH, GIT and BA

sample wishlist: Roses Musk

I became very friendly with Mario after a brief flamewar with him. He's a standup guy and smart as a whip. Consider his humor in the Monty Python only more surreal range and there you jolly well are. He can also be relied on to supply the lyrics to Homburg by Procul Harum and a few other things.

I made my choices up there in the pool and I'm in pretty good company.

Mario, PM me for a free sample! I don't expect anything in return. Congrats on becoming a supporter and look for the board just for supporters where we've been talking about you for at least the last 2 years.

Last edited by fredricktoo; 3rd September 2008 at 03:57 PM.

Use PMs please! All you guy are going to achieve is get this thread closed.

I am having second thoughts. You can skip Concerto and Blue Amber. They are good, but Concerto is a bit too ordinary while Blue Amber is too heavy. the other fragrances are more interesting.
    Last edited by irish; 3rd September 2008 at 03:10 PM.

well i'm not the one to type(since i havent joined myself), but if you or I got enough money to be buying fragrances at a regular pace, then we could/should have enough to pay for the basenotes fee.....
    you are on a facebook version of a FRAGRANCE SITE! Fragrances are LUXURY and not a neccesity no matter what anyone might think.......thus, if you are typing up a storm on a website which has helped you so much in your hobby/addiction, at the very least you shouldnt get offended at someone else's sarcastic self degregating remarks.

c'mon dima this is plain ridiculous.
    Last edited by acceptfacts; 3rd September 2008 at 03:32 PM.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

I voted for L'Air du Desert Marocain. It is a must have for me.

About becoming a supporter, I paid for it immediately after registering for PayPal. If I had a PayPal account before joining Basenotes I would have paid for it since the 1st week I was here. Fragrance is a luxury product I agree, and one owning more than 5 bottles should be able to pay for the membership fee. But if you own more than 5 but have to eat twice a day instead of 3 then it's better not to pay But still, you can help the site as Grant suggested.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Judging by your wardrobe, and seeing how you're a fan of the bay rum / tobacco scents like Havana & Cuba, I think you would really appreciate Macassar. I also chose L'Air du Desert Marocain because I think it's a fantastic scent...

How's this sound, I'll trade you 1.6ml of Macassar for 8ml of your MKK I'll even pay S&H.

PM me.

Glad to see its getting back on topic. Can we keep it that way, and keep private disagreements private and off topic comments where appropriate (either OT or community centre).

Thank you

I too voted for L'Air Du Desert Marocain, as it was the only one on the list that I've tried so far, and is quite amazing.

Now I'll go back to trying not to imagine this as a Monty Python skit

<british accents>
    Aye: "He called me a cheapskate!"
    Hee: "No I didn't, I said I was a cheapskate!"
    Aye: "Yes, I'm Aye!"
    Hee: "What?"
    Aye: "I'm Aye, and I'm certainly not a cheapskate!"
    Hee: "I didn't say that you were a cheapskate."
    Yu: "Did someone call me a cheapskate?"
    Hee: "I certainly did not!"
    Aye: "Right, I didn't. He called me a cheapskate!"
    Hee: "No, I didn't call you a cheapskate!"
    Yu: "What?"
    Hee: "What?"
    Aye: "What?"

</british accents>

Aye Aye Aye . . . >_<

Mario, I voted for Sybaris. I think you'd like it. Seems like it'd be very "you," my deduction being based on what you've said about yourself on alot of other threads (including Corrupt-a-Wish.)
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Off-Scenter

Judging by your wardrobe, your a fan of leather and animalic scents, and I think Knize Ten, Aoud Cuir d'Arabie, and Eau d'Hermes (animalic leathers all,) are "must try" fragrances for any leather lover.

To branch out a bit, I'd also suggest Ambre Precieux (renders Ambre Extreme pointless in my book ) and Fleurs d'Oranger.

I voted for ten fragrances - imo, all of them are 'must try'.

Leathers:
    Aoud Cuir D'Arabie
    Knize Ten
    Macassar
    Richard James Savile Row
    Sybaris

Woody Orientals:
    Balenciaga Pour Homme
    L'Air du Desert Marocain

Soft Orientals:
    Ambre Precieux
    Blue Amber

Fougeres:
    Bogart Pour Homme

Of the ones listed, I've only tried and worn a few:

Blue Amber
    Amazing amber with the perfect drydown. It just fades.

Bogart pour Homme
    Way to darned syntheticlly sweet for men.

Hammam Bouquet
    Good oriental rosy scent. A gentleman's fragrance.

L'Air du Desert Marocain
    Dry, airy slightly woody. Exotic.

I voted for L'Air du Desert Marocain, Blue Amber and Knize Ten (even though I haven't tried it yet)

While it's not listed, I think you might like Domenico Caraceni as well....

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    While it's not listed, I think you might like Domenico Caraceni as well....
    Excellent suggestion - a tobacco rose sounds perfect for Mario!

deleted
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 5th September 2008 at 04:55 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Banned
    Blog Entries

Richard James has been on my list for months now

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    Richard James has been on my list for months now
    Forget months, with this thread dating from 2008, someone's been waiting years.

I came back to MFD and it's completely populated by poss threads. What happened Tony T, you do a search for poll and then started posting in every thread that came up?

I would have probably chosen Ambre Précieux from this resurrected 2008 poll. (hopefully the last one) (501)
    Last edited by hednic; 15th November 2013 at 06:09 AM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Please note that this outdated thread is being closed.