Code of Conduct

Default suggestions for a 24 yr old male

Hi there
    Just after some advice on a new cologne, I am 24 years old and live in Australia. We have just finished winter here so we are heading for the warmer months. I currently only own 2 colognes .. both armani 1 is code which i have only used about 1/4 of the bottle which is ok because im going to use that as my evening scent, the other I own is Acqua Di Gio which i have just finished a 50ml bottle of. I do like ADG but its just way 2 popular and im after something different as i find once i use a bottle of something im generally over it by then and dont really want to buy another bottle of it. Can anyone suggest any colognes that I can replace my ADG with? I would mainly be wearing it during the day or at casual events, My job is kind of varied i am sometimes in offices and at times I can be outdoors. My next scent wouldnt have to be as aquatic as ADG but something simular in terms of being a fresh pleasent scent. I also prefer something I can pick up at a department store or perfume shop as I dont really shop online. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: suggestions for a 24 yr old male

I would be confident enough to say Bvlgari's Aqva(not the marine version) is a the best replacement. im pretty sure a good handfull of us ditched our ADGs for bvlgari... also if u like code, i think u would have no issues with fahrenheit...im just a SLIGHTLY older than you and i too use to use 3.4oz bottles of ADG every year. bvlgari has a much richer almost musky dry down, which ADG doesnt offer. ADG is no doubt a crowd fave, but the poor longevity and sillage as compared to bvg aqva is miles apart. if u noticed, ADG has this thin plastic dry down at the end... not overly synthethic as some others may experience. but bvg has a great mossy -musk dry down which is much richer and lasting. i resorted to room freshening with my ADG coz i like it on my sheets and pillows but just doesnt last long enough for me to wear out anymore. if fahrenheit is a little too heavy for a code replacement, the 32 flanker is lighter and a tad fresher and creamier...personally these are the ones worth trying or buying for their longevity and sillage/drydown. btw do u notice ADG turning a tad sour at the end?

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

for a change, if u like something herbal and very green smelling for formal events, id recommend paco rabanne ph(green bottle ironically). its not only 2-3 times more lasting than code but also has a more consistent wear (dry down). it not one of those classic leather bombs which need acquiring of taste, it has the scent of the 70s 80s but unliike the Armani EPH or givenchy gentleman, paco offers a nice therapeutic residual layer which i enjoy, its worth a try if u havent yet.dont be smelling it str8 off a spray, let it settle for 15 mins and im sure u'll find it quite organic, unlike most of its generation peers, this one doesnt have that heavy leathery musk ala POLO(Green), ARMANI EPH, bvg black etc - which not many ppl can tolerate

Post Thanks / Like

You could try CK Eternity Summer 2008. Its a pleasant, fresh smelling cologne that has decent longevity and isn't too overpowering so it can be worn to the office or casually. Another you may wnat to try is Guerlain Vetiver. Its a clean smelling fragrance that works well in summer's heat.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Post Thanks / Like

Try Clinique Happy for Men. While Bvlgari Aqua is a great scent, it doesn't seem to distinguish itself enough from the other myriad aquatics available.

Post Thanks / Like

Try Hermes Orange Vert. It's very nice, relatively light and feels very adult and well dressed. you should be able to get it at department stores.

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    You could try CK Eternity Summer 2008. Its a pleasant, fresh smelling cologne that has decent longevity and isn't too overpowering so it can be worn to the office or casually. Another you may wnat to try is Guerlain Vetiver. Its a clean smelling fragrance that works well in summer's heat.

yep i 2nd eternity summers. they have been really good the past 3 years at least.

oh yeah as for bvg aqva Marine, its like ADG with more citrus. but i really think its a waste of money coz it has the poorest longevity of all of bvg's male range. but its a easy to like frag as is ADG. Just that the original aqua is good for both casual and semi formal.

on the summer flanker note, ck ones 08 summer is not bad as well.

2nd vote for guerlain vet. if u happen to like vetiver, one of the better and more affordable vetiver frags around/.

CK has been pretty consistent and neat with their summer spawns, i have to admit, being quite the skeptic. The only 08 summer flanker i thought worth getting was Le Male summer 08. 07 was quite below par. this round JPG did justice to its signature frag.. sexy bottle to boot

Hi thanks for the suggestions so far, I have actually had cK Eternity before but it wasnt the summer one it was just the normal one, is there much difference between the 2 ?? Also on the topic of cK I have heard a few good things about Europhia (not sure if thats how you spell it) has anyone here tried that one and do you think it could suit what im after???
    thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I tried euphoria once - got compliments from my girlfriend, but I didn't like it. It smells kind of "chemically." Along the lines of AdG, you could try L'eau D'issey, if you don't mind that a lot of people wear it too.
    On the other hand, If you truly want one of the best aquatics, I would suggest you try Millisime Imperial by Creed. It's only slightly aquatic but my favorite of the aquatics nonetheless. I've never met someone who didn't like it (just take a look at the reviews here on Basenotes). You can also try Sean Jean's Unforgiveable, which is a rip-off of Millisime Imperial and costs much less... (Although I find a big difference in quality between the two, most people don't notice it at all).

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by holdenguy View Post
    Hi thanks for the suggestions so far, I have actually had cK Eternity before but it wasnt the summer one it was just the normal one, is there much difference between the 2 ?? Also on the topic of cK I have heard a few good things about Europhia (not sure if thats how you spell it) has anyone here tried that one and do you think it could suit what im after???
    thanks
    most welcome, honestly i prefer ck MAN to Euphoria, simply coz it smells unique and has a better longevity. but im not a fan of both. those 2 are the more recents scents. the ck i got are the classic eternity, ck one and be. cant really go wrong with those. i rem ck one to be quite a cult fave over a decade back . i dont smell it on anyone of my peers of colleagues and id sometimes wear it for very casual beach activities, picnics, as a freshener after a shower. very good after a shower to spash or spray some on.

honestly from what i gather, u should reallly try boss selection. its extremely versatile. my top 2 fro boss are selection and XY, grew a little tired of No.1. am just couple of years older than ya, and ive found selection to be easily wearable for most occasions. XY is more fresher but has as good a longevity. if u like euphoria or that sorts, then selection and XY could easily settle your needs. XY for the more casual and selection a metrosexual scent

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    most welcome, honestly i prefer ck MAN to Euphoria, simply coz it smells unique and has a better longevity. but im not a fan of both. those 2 are the more recents scents. the ck i got are the classic eternity, ck one and be. cant really go wrong with those. i rem ck one to be quite a cult fave over a decade back . i dont smell it on anyone of my peers of colleagues and id sometimes wear it for very casual beach activities, picnics, as a freshener after a shower. very good after a shower to spash or spray some on.

honestly from what i gather, u should reallly try boss selection. its extremely versatile. my top 2 fro boss are selection and XY, grew a little tired of No.1. am just couple of years older than ya, and ive found selection to be easily wearable for most occasions. XY is more fresher but has as good a longevity. if u like euphoria or that sorts, then selection and XY could easily settle your needs. XY for the more casual and selection a metrosexual scent
    I disagree XY is a good masculine scent. It's more of a college student meets an outdoor scent. Quite nice and fresh

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blowe46 View Post
    I disagree XY is a good masculine scent. It's more of a college student meets an outdoor scent. Quite nice and fresh

well yeah taste differs, Im over mid 20s and use it quite often for casual events. unless by masculine u mean it to be more formal-esque , than yeah i agree this is more a scent meant for the semi -formal. for suggesting something masculine i think i addressed that with selection being in that context. i didnt mean XY is a strong scent.
    Last edited by MFJ; 10th September 2008 at 09:14 PM.

The Calvin Klein's might be good choices. They are well made and easygoing, able to be appreciated by many. One that happens to be easygoing and sophisticated at the same time is CONTRADICTION. If you want to take a step up in class from ADG, CONTRADICTION is a good way to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by holdenguy View Post
    thanks
    I've not smelled the CK Eternity so I honestly could not tell you if the two are very different. The Euphoria might work for you, but if you do try it, try it alongside Euphoria Intense. The intense is a little different and longer lasting.
    Last edited by surreality; 13th September 2008 at 04:01 AM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arinhinda View Post
    The Calvin Klein's might be good choices. They are well made and easygoing, able to be appreciated by many. One that happens to be easygoing and sophisticated at the same time is CONTRADICTION. If you want to take a step up in class from ADG, CONTRADICTION is a good way to go.
    yep, i agree, i call them modern classics, coz dont u find contradiction smells of something much older.

also u could almost tell its so similar to envy. a contemporary scent that has a hint of 80s. from a distant whiff you could easily mistaken envy or contradiction with Eau Sauvage. i do rotate them, and sometimes when ppl ask and i couldnt recall at the moment, id tend to tell them the wrong frag i was wearing. envy being just a tad more woodsy, contradiction sweeter, and ES zestier, but they all have this common prominent note that is very similar, i cant tell what, ive given up trying to figure it out(i know they have this sourish note(not in a bad way but literally. of the 3 , i use contradiction the least. maybe someone with a similar experience could shed some light, its embarrasing afte wearing them for ages i still cant pin point the description of that particular note that smell identical. sorry to hijack the thread a little, but any light shed would be great

Post Thanks / Like

Fresh and pleasant? Try Thierry Mugler Ice*Men - its going cheap at Myers at the moment. Make sure you spray it on your skin, as it changes alot from a card!
    Also a few others I'd recommend that are 'different' but not too different are Versace man eau Fraiche, Thierry Mugler Cologne and Tom Ford for Men
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576