Code of Conduct

Default What is it about Bulgari Pour Homme?

My first ever Basenotes post...
    I just bought a bottle of this, having tried it in the store, and having read the Basenotes reviews and concluding it could be a nice light scent for the office. BUT... I can no longer smell it! Try as I might, and spraying it on liberally, I get a faint whiff of florals for a few minutes... then nothing!

Am I "olfactorily blind"?

Default Re: What is it about Bulgari Pour Homme?

maybe you should consider the bulgari pour homme extreme. It's a good grapefruit scent but with more punch.

Quote Originally Posted by Trufflehunter View Post
    My first ever Basenotes post...
    I just bought a bottle of this, having tried it in the store, and having read the Basenotes reviews and concluding it could be a nice light scent for the office. BUT... I can no longer smell it! Try as I might, and spraying it on liberally, I get a faint whiff of florals for a few minutes... then nothing!

Am I "olfactorily blind"?

Welcome to BN!!

Bulgari Ph is a lovely scent..i adore it...it's a classic. well, it's also known to have poor lasting which could be compensated by liberal spraying. saying that, it's not a kind of scent which disappears in minutes, no way. 8-10 sprays on pulse points and fabric included stays good 8+ hours on me...maybe u want to chk with your siblings or frnd to see if they cud smell it on you...if they cant as well, thn there might be somethign wrong with your package...

btw, im not a fan of the PH Extreme..its just not the same scent...
    Last edited by jenson; 3rd September 2008 at 11:21 PM.

Welcome trufflehunter, and congrats on Post #1!

As Blowe46 above said, Bvlgari Homme Extrême (the more concentrated version) is a great option (and in fact, my preferred scent of the two)... but the standard Pour Homme itself is pretty long lasting anyhow.
    Often after application, we become swiftly accustomed to the scent, and later, are often incapable of smelling it, even though its still there. Perhaps if you're still dubious, ask a friend or partner for a second opinion (one who has preferably not been around you from the time you applied it).

Spray it a couple of time on the chest, where you can blow on it, but don't inhale at that point. Instead, don't let yourself smell it, by "holding your nose," and keep blowing on that spot you sprayed. Then, when you think it's fairy dry, leave that room, and don't think about the fragrance at all. Let it "come to you." See if that works. I have to do that with many fragrances.

Some peoples nose can't detect certain musks, and since the dry-down of Bulgari pour Homme is pretty much musk, that could be why.
    I get great longevity out of this, but very poor sillage. Most people (unless they are really close to you) won't know your wearing it!
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

I find it to be very weak too. Unfortunately, almost every time I've sampled it I couldn't smell it at ALL because I had smelled another scent before it. I swear it only takes like two scents and then bam I cannot smell Bvlgari PH. Maybe I am among those non-musk smellers but I don't think so. It is very easy to get an olfactory block on and it's nothing too special to me anyway.

Thanks for the quick responses. I'll try some of the suggestions, but I think the musk issue could be part of the answer. I suspected there was 'something' in BPH that might be masking or neutralising the other scents to my nose. I thought it might have been the tea.

I get that in reverse with anything containing leather/tobacco. Those notes always tend to dominate with me and destroy any subtleties in a fragrance, changing them into something which can seem repulsive after a while.

HI Trufflehunter, and Welcome Aboard!

I have a bottle of Bulgari Pour Homme After Shave that was gifted to me by a dear friend here on Basenotes. I like it and do wear it though mostly in the summer, but I have never had the scent just disappear on me! This frag, even in the after shave concentration, retains its character and vibe even a couple hours later. Seriously. Grapefruit and woods come through just fine!

It may have something to do with the musk in it and your skin. If you have fairly dry skin, your pores may be eating up the oils or retaining them, thus no scent comes through. My skin is medium to oily depending on conditions. For me, some scents hitting my skin have a simliar performance as dropping a raw burger on a hot griddle: Everything just goes!

Try conditioning your skin if it is radically dry or even oily. If that's not helping, do an impersation of Job and try wearing the scent over again and see if your skin "bonds" to it. Don't laugh: Such has happened to me before!

Good Luck and Have Fun!!

Last edited by Richie_B; 4th September 2008 at 03:23 AM.

Of the several hundred scents I've tried in 20+ years this is the one I would say is 'ethereal'. Now I have a bottle, and I adore it from time to time. It is not strong, yes. But it would be lingering for several hours around you even if you don't notice it. Elegant, hiding behind the main scene.
    Give it more time.

Now you scare me
    Just this happened to me with UNGARO III !
    I read all reviews and noone had that problem but me. I dont want to have olfactory problems!
    I sprayed 6 to my chest 3 to my Neck. after 10-20 minutes i couldnt smell the sillage at all! I thought it was a fake bottle but i dont think so...
    the notes arent listed here in BN :/ So i know which one to avoid next time!

I wouldn't give away the original Pour Homme for the concentrated version of this. I find the original to be incomparable. Trufflehunter, just stop wearing it for a little while, then start again.

(By the way: Great nickname, and welcome to basenotes.)

This scent is so frustrating. I just tried one of the suggestions. Had a shower. Waited a while for the heat, moisture and soap smell to dissapate. Sprayed myself liberally (about 10 sprays!) and put on fresh clothes.

Now... I can smell it, and it is superb. But it is so elusive, almost like the smell of rain or the ozone before an approaching storm. If this is their aim, then Bulgari have pulled off something amazing. I did this half an hour ago, and already the scent is eluding me. However, the weird thing is, I am still aware of my smell receptors picking up on something. They feel 'activated', yet I can barely smell anything. Like a high-pitched sound just above the limit of human hearing, yet we're aware of it. Crazy. I can't give up on this one...

Part of me wants it to be stronger, stronger! Yet another part of me enjoys the game and the mystery of trying to detect it!

The subtlty of Bvlgari PH is deceptive. While you the wearer may not be able to smell it, many other people can definitely smell it. One day I walked past a lady, who was at least 3 meters away from me, and I had only 1 spray on. She immediately picked it up and gave me a compliment. Crikey.

Funnily enough, I had the same reaction to it as you had, and was certain it barely lasted an hour and a half.

But, from the same bottle, I smell it much better now, and it's longevity is actually longer than I thought. I also had the same reaction to Emporio Armani.

If you want subtle scents, these two are the way to go - and remember, women can still smell them even if you can't.
    Renato

dont give up on Ph Man, it's too wonderful a scent..btw try keeping it in a Fridge...im not at alll sure if that would help or not..but in these circumstances, why not try it as well? and yes, do overspray

It's likely your nose to some degree, as well as the scent. A percentage of people are anosmic to a couple varieties of commonly used musk ingredients, a large part of Bvlgari Pour Homme. For those poor folks Bvlgari, and other some other muck intensive fragrances will smell odd, incomplete, or just ethereal to the point of nonexistence. I don't have a lot of information about this, but it gets discussed here occasionally. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I will chime in.

I wear this one a lot and while its not a powerhouse and stays close to the skin for the most part, it lasts the full work day.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Welcome to Basenotes!!!

The same thing happens to me when I wear Gucci - Envy for men. Even though my skin handles Orientals very well, this one always seems to disappear after about an hour. But strange enough, I've had more than a few compliments regardless of whether I could smell it or not.

Maybe you want to try this - it works for me when I want to detect if a scent is still on my skin. When I apply my fragrance of the day, I always do about 3 sprays on my neck. During the course of the day I'd face upwards towards the ceiling, and then see if I smell anything. With Envy I usually do even though when facing directly in front of me I smell nothing! A lady friend of mine had the same problem with Pleasures which she couldn't smell (even though I could) - she did what I suggested, and had positive results.

Bulgari PH is an excellent fragrance, but my skin just devours it , and I therefore rather invested in the Extreme, which is just wonderful (but the two are different though).

Let us know!!